The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Default Less 'Harsh' Acoustic Guitar Sound

Hello all,

I've got a Takamine Electro/Acoustic (sorry to be vague - I can't remember the model), an AKG C-414 B XLS Condenser mic and a ART Studio V3 Pre-amp.

I'm working on a track which is mainly solo acoustic and vox, and although I'm happy with the sound I've recorded (through testing microphone placement) I just can't get it to 'soften up' at the mixing stage.

Usually I would rerecord, but having tried different mic positions I'm confident I've got the best spot for the guitar.

I've got a range of plugins (Sonnox, Waves etc) and would really appreciate any advice on how I might 'soften' the guitar at the mix stage.

All the best,

Joss
Old 03-14-2011, 09:07 AM

This is one of those times when an audio clip would be helpful. "Soften" can probably mean several different things to different people, and understanding exactly what the opposite (harsh?) is would be helpful, too. Having said that, I think of softening as reducing high frequencies that can give the guitar sound a hard or cutting edge. So, the first thing I would try is EQ cuts in the 4,000 to 10,000Hz range. Some people might try bringing up the bass frequencies, but I tend to avoid adding EQ, preferring to reduce offending frequencies rather than boosting those desired. Some compressors have frequency controls, too, so that is another possible tool.

I think the best approach is to minimize the offense frequencies when recording. The room where you record may be emphasizing the tone you want to avoid. If you cannot treat the room, have you ever tried foam or some other sound absorbing material directly behind each mic? I obtained some upholstering foam (seat cushions) that have an egg-carton-like pattern, and cut a hole in them just large enough for the microphone to poke through. When I use them during recording, the highs on my guitar are significantly mellowed when compared to a recording without the foam backing.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 03-14-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM

i agree with bob but would like to add that you may want to pull the mic back a little bit which MAY give you a less harsh sound.

rather than fixing in the mix, try to get the guitar sound as perfect as you can first through your headphones.

good luck.

mikeB.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Room Treatment?

Aloha,

What kind of room treatment are you using to deal with standing waves?

alohachris
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 AM

To Chris' point, let me explain my experience. It used to be that I would spend 1-2 weeks getting comfortable with a new mic. It was a constant cycle: (a) record, (b) listen, (c) mix, (d) burn to CD, (e) listen to CD on lots of systems (repeat as necessary).

This was before I had room treatment. I dove in - really did a good job of buying a first-timer's setup of OC703 - and it made a huge difference! I still was going through that cycle but it was only taking me 3-5 days to get comfortable with a mic. But I felt there was more, more, more... So I went further - creating a 6" OC705 cloud and lots more - and now I'll spend probably 2-3 hours tracking lots of different placements. I'll start with the iso phones on and listen for the best spots, then I'll track those and listen with pen/paper. I then sleep on it and hear with fresh ears the next day. I probably only go through that cycle 2-3x today.

I guess my point is that room treatment is a massive deal that is almost always overlooked by folks in the beginning.

To further define Chris' question, we also need to know what your monitors are (or headphones if that's the case)?

Today, I'm able to dial in a mic placement so quickly because I know my monitors after months and months of working on them in my room. If I didn't know my monitors, I'd be in a cycle of spending several days to get it right.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM

I don't know that particular guitar, but some Taks I have heard are pretty edgy to begin with.

The C414 is a particularly demanding mic. If it doesn't feed a preamp it likes, it sounds shrill and spitty.

When mixing, the tendency is to add 10kHz EQ to add brightness instead of using other approaches to balance the sound. That can be a problem.

Adding compression and limiting also create artifacts that are edgy.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 03-20-2011, 08:19 AM

It is possible that the preamp might have something to do with it. Your AKG C-414 B XLS is a nice mic which, I agree, may require a better preamp to get the most out of your signal chain. I would never pair up a $65 pre with a 1K mic and expect good results, doesn't mean I may be wrong in this situation, but......just saying. Still, could be one of or a combination of the other factors mentioned by others. Also, a sound sample would help.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 PM

I agree with some of the other guys about room treatment. It can make a big difference. I just finished remodeling my home studio that I use just for my own guitar recording. I have pictures and explanations of my room treatment on the blog page of my website. I haven't tried any recording with it yet but have experienced the effects of good treatment which is why I added the treatment.

Some things I did before I could offord some OC703 and build some diffusors was to use some chairs that had foam seats and backing. I placed two of these in corners of the room to act as bass traps. You could use some sofa cushions for temporary bass traps. I also had a book shelf that I used as a diffusor. The book shelf diffusor hasn't been proven to have much effect but I figured it was better than nothing.

Good luck with the recording
All the best,
David

www.davidyoungmanmusic.com/blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD