The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
There's definitely some relief in the neck. I don't have the tools to measure how much. I measured it against my Martin HD28 where a straight edge falls exactly flat on top of the bridge. The Bridge height itself on the Martin is .375", the Eastman is about .325". Height from soundboard on Martin is about .525" and the Eastman is about .5375.

The eastman does feel like it could come down some especially frets 3-5, which may be the relief, I don't know. Not a ton, though.
Oh I see the string action height pics now. IS that about 2.5mm at the 12th fret? That's pretty close to normal but you could come down a bit. You might want to see if you can get away with 2mm. To do that you would want to remove 1mm at the saddle. So it's not much but something anyway.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Oh I see the string action height pics now. IS that about 2.5mm at the 12th fret? That's pretty close to normal but you could come down a bit. You might want to see if you can get away with 2mm. To do that you would want to remove 1mm at the saddle. So it's not much but something anyway.
I'm going to take it to an Eastman dealer/repair shop nearby. The dealer I purchased it from assured me he would make it right. I'm going to have the neck adjusted and examined and see what they say about lowering it a little.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:42 PM

The bridge is thin. If you had a bridge that was 0.360", then the saddle height above the bridge would be acceptable. I use 0.360" bridges on my new builds.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
The bridge is thin. If you had a bridge that was 0.360", then the saddle height above the bridge would be acceptable. I use 0.360" bridges on my new builds.
Compared to my Martin definitely. I wonder if the straight edge would fall right on top if it were the same size as my Martin bridges?
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Compared to my Martin definitely. I wonder if the straight edge would fall right on top if it were the same size as my Martin bridges?

Perhaps. That does sound like a svelte bridge. Plus, I still think it’s a little dry. I do not think it’s an emergency. But, you can have it looked at. Was it sold as brand new? If so, you should have it looked at before your return period expires.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Perhaps. That does sound like a svelte bridge. Plus, I still think it’s a little dry. I do not think it’s an emergency. But, you can have it looked at. Was it sold as brand new? If so, you should have it looked at before your return period expires.
It was brand new, tags still on. I'm not seeing the symptoms of dryness. I put my Bluetooth sensor in the case with it and it's reading 7% higher than my other guitars at 52%.

I've spoken with the dealer and he wants me to let the shop take a look and if it needs to be exchanged he will honor it.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
It was brand new, tags still on. I'm not seeing the symptoms of dryness. I put my Bluetooth sensor in the case with it and it's reading 7% higher than my other guitars at 52%.

I've spoken with the dealer and he wants me to let the shop take a look and if it needs to be exchanged he will honor it.

Good move.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Well I’ve taken it to two different shops. One guy said it could go either way and if I wanted to keep it I should. Another said I should send it back or demand a new proper height bridge be installed. That torque will cause the saddle to lean and eventually the bridge will crack. Problem is this is the only one from dealer so I’d be waiting for who knows how long and it was part of a trade. If it were just a cash deal I’d have gotten a refund and bought one elsewhere. Not sure what I’m gonna do.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Yeah it's a tough call because they both are correct. I've seen bridges like that which have zero problems but then when they do, they do. Now the problem is, will it bother you? If it is going to keep you awake at night then trade it in.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

It sounds so dang good and loud. I think I’m going to roll the dice. This thing Is louder and more resonant than my hd28 i think. And that guitar is loud. I’m going to cross my fingers it’s not an issue in the future.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Yeah it's a tough call because they both are correct. I've seen bridges like that which have zero problems but then when they do, they do. Now the problem is, will it bother you? If it is going to keep you awake at night then trade it in.
I would talk to your dealer and get in writing that if this guitar has any of the pre-mentioned issues, they will take care of it, and keep the guitar. This issue comes down to the design and build quality of the guitar. Top thickness, bridge plate thickness and footprint, bracing pattern placement, thickness, and quality, all come into play, as well as bridge thickness, saddle thickness, wood stiffness, and how close the saddle is to the front of the bridge. A visit to any guitar shop that has a decent supply of older, quality used guitars will prove that many older guitars could benefit from a neck reset. The amount of older guitars that have 1/32"-1/16" of saddle exposed and have high action is amazing and disappointing in my opinion. All of the many quality guitars I have owned over the years have needed the saddle lowered a couple times over the years as the body/neck settle in. I like to see a tall saddle in a new guitar, so that after a few years and a few saddle adjustments, there is still decent saddle height with good action. I lobby for a slight neck over set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair