The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I clearly understand all that. I was simply asking if the volume knobs respond the same way in both channels. Ya, I added in there that the FX was off. Maybe I got too wordy. That wouldn't surprise me. But hey, nothing even looks the same on day 6.

Let me add this. I'm not a total idiot. I've been saying all along.... Something Is Messed Up. Right now, I'm thinking the amp. It went silent on me. Um, there's your sign. It sound like crap after 15 minutes. There's your sign. It happens with both guitars. There's your sign. It sounds super musical, the tones I'm hearing..... IT ALL GOES AWAY.!!!

Any questions.??
It could be a bad tube.......

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-19-2020, 12:27 PM

this is my experince with the X2 XD, so take it with as grain if salt as im not as experiened as others here, i 1st had an X2- thought it was great, but after a while i couldnt get clean lows and the muddy sound out, got disgusted and sold it, about a year later having no luck with SS amps, i got the XD, basically the same thing but for some odd reason had a better tone (on lows) though it wasnt what i expected, oh yea, i changed tubes also in both amps, anyway- i just took that fender custom speaker out and cripe- it weighed about as much as a cup of coffee, looked impressive in the amp, but taken out it looked like it belongs in a bookshelf stereo- so i put a better speaker in, heavier and bigger coil- HUGE improvement!- one thing i can say, i think these amps get along better with single coils then humbuckers
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
Have you checked your incoming line power for surges or sags? Not sure how tolerant amps are in terms of line power. Maybe your HVAC system is pulling line power down? Maybe the whole neighborhood has power sags as a result of an old power grid? The problem is truly weird.
Thank you for that. I'm having the electrician come back in. I talked to the boss and spoke to him in detail about the issues. He said maybe an isolated ground plug might work.

At some point he's going to come back in, listen to the clean signal I get when I first start playing. In 10 to 15 minutes it goes bad. Hopefully he'll recognize the poor sound quality. If not I can point it out to him. Turns to deep mud. No note articulation at all. 2 guitars and 2 amps. The only thing that changed is the new amp came through the door. That's when my troubles began. Like a virus. Go figure....

One more time, this has nothing to do with tone other than the fact that good musical tone goes away in 15 minutes. Then it's a malfunction. Nothing to do with the speaker.

Day 7 when I wake up tomorrow. No fun. Frustrated and I don't have a guitar to bang on. Tough stuff.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:20 AM

OP reporting back.....

I returned the Super Champ yesterday after speaking with Tech Support yesterday. She was very helpful. I honestly didn't want to but it came to my mind that it would simplify things here. She eliminated the isolated ground. Said I don't need that. She also said it's not the electrical in the house. She said she's heard the problem before and told me more than likely it's a bad tube that maybe got loose or damaged in shipping. I asked if we could be in the loop of testing the amp at Sweetwater. She said the warehouse gets a lot of stuff and sometimes these things don't get looked at for a month. Understandable.

So I am spooked by the Super Champ. By returning the amp I can focus on the Champion 20 and my 2 guitars.

I am quite certain I'm going to wait for the Yamaha THR30II to arrive, although it will be at least a month and a half. Its battery operated. Or can be. Take it to the park. Rechargeable onboard battery. USB chord, Line Out Left/Right. Wireless if so desired but Line6, who makes the 'antenna' is having problems. That item is listed as Temporarily Out of Stock.

I'll report back here with any other issues I bump into. Life is a Carnival....
Old 02-23-2020, 09:47 AM

THR30II ? Just my opinion but I personally wouldn't buy an amp for that price with 2x 3.5 inch speakers. I know the THR series gets a lot of love and sounds good through headphones or close miked but I was very underwhelmed when I borrowed a THR10 for a week and that has 2x 3.1 inch speakers.

If you have ever played electric guitar clean through a 12 inch speaker it's nothing like the tinny sound from an amp with tiny speakers.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-23-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
THR30II ? Just my opinion but I personally wouldn't buy an amp for that price with 2x 3.5 inch speakers. I know the THR series gets a lot of love and sounds good through headphones or close miked but I was very underwhelmed when I borrowed a THR10 for a week and that has 2x 3.1 inch speakers.

If you have ever played electric guitar clean through a 12 inch speaker it's nothing like the tinny sound from an amp with tiny speakers.
I'll take this into consideration.

I'll say this, Yamaha makes quality anything. Have for years.

The provided link to an online review with 2 players, one asked the other, "could you use the THR30watt as an onstage monitor." The guy paused for a short while and said "no. It's not loud enough." Went on to say that the 30watt model is more about headroom. They say that the small speakers aren't good for "throwing the sound out there." But said the amp is incredible when sitting in a living room. I think they are being candid. They love the amp yet point out the downfalls. Here's the review..... Sounds great to me. I learned a lot watching it. Very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StoO1DkhVKI&t=1063s
Old 02-23-2020, 11:49 AM

Well I agree that the THR30s sound great in that demo but notice that each amp is close miked with a pair of microphones. That compensates for the limited low end and headroom you will experience when just playing the amp in a room.

Those 3.5 inch speakers are probably only 90 Db efficient compared to a 10 inch guitar speaker that might easily be 96 Db efficient. Those 30 watts from the Yamaha might only be as loud as a 10 inch combo amp putting out 7.5 watts. (-6 db difference = 4x power difference)

Anyway loads of people seem to love the THR range I would just say try one before you buy.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-23-2020, 12:41 PM

i dont think youll like the champion 20 either, a used 40 would be a better choice IMO
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-23-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I'll take this into consideration.

I'll say this, Yamaha makes quality anything. Have for years.

The provided link to an online review with 2 players, one asked the other, "could you use the THR30watt as an onstage monitor." The guy paused for a short while and said "no. It's not loud enough." Went on to say that the 30watt model is more about headroom. They say that the small speakers aren't good for "throwing the sound out there." But said the amp is incredible when sitting in a living room. I think they are being candid. They love the amp yet point out the downfalls. Here's the review..... Sounds great to me. I learned a lot watching it. Very informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StoO1DkhVKI&t=1063s
I have a 1x12" combo tube amp and I sometimes run that through a 2 x 12" cab. I also have the old THR10 Boutique and a THR30II. Both THRs sound great. I don't know how they do it, but I don't notice a huge difference in bottom end with guitars... maybe bass would be different.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-23-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Well I agree that the THR30s sound great in that demo but notice that each amp is close miked with a pair of microphones. That compensates for the limited low end and headroom you will experience when just playing the amp in a room.

Those 3.5 inch speakers are probably only 90 Db efficient compared to a 10 inch guitar speaker that might easily be 96 Db efficient. Those 30 watts from the Yamaha might only be as loud as a 10 inch combo amp putting out 7.5 watts. (-6 db difference = 4x power difference)

Anyway loads of people seem to love the THR range I would just say try one before you buy.
I appreciate your your comments. Keep 'em coming. Someone, somewhere said the LiPo battery has a short life. I flew RC Airplanes with 6cell LiPo's and they are great batteries if you take good care of them. They are capable of many, many charge cycles. I don't know what size battery comes in the THR but as long as I have the option to 'plug in' I think battery is a plus. I think it would make the amp 'more fun.'
Old 02-23-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i dont think youll like the champion 20 either, a used 40 would be a better choice IMO
I don't like the Champion 20. I love it.!! I've been playing it for 3 months. I've owned a Champion 40. They crank. So does the 20.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I have a 1x12" combo tube amp and I sometimes run that through a 2 x 12" cab. I also have the old THR10 Boutique and a THR30II. Both THRs sound great. I don't know how they do it, but I don't notice a huge difference in bottom end with guitars... maybe bass would be different.
And now we have this ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Here's robj saying how great the THR's are. The guy has nearly 9,000 posts here on the forum.!!! I trust him. Thanks for your comments robj.!!

There are so many knobs on the THR I don't think you could miss. So many of these modeling amps contain a vast array of tones. I'm the type of player who finds a cool tone and I run with it. You could say.... I'm easily amused when it comes to tone. I'm easily amused at a lot of things. I like it that way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars