The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2020, 07:37 PM

Default MLB sign stealing scandal

Anyone following the baseball sign stealing scandal? Thoughts on the Astros' penalties? Red Sox are next and I feel there are other teams out there too.

Thoughts?
Old 01-15-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Thoughts on the Astros' penalties?
1. Forfeit championships won during provable cheating years.
2. 5 years ban from ANY playoff series.

These teams have so much money and such a huge fan base these would just be speed bumps. But they might at least get their attention, and set a precedent and deterrent for the future.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
1. Forfeit championships won during provable cheating years.
2. 5 years ban from ANY playoff series. .
Here, here. At least. Maybe add a $1,000,000 for the offending team owner to pay.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

You might be unsurprised to hear that in the land of Enron, the sentiment is a bit different than that in some parts, esp. SoCal, for instance.

But, I'm with the previous posts. At the risk of starting a tangent that gets the thread blocked or me banned, the idea that "everyone does it" and so a slap on the wrist is the most you might expect, pisses me off.

"Winning at all costs" or "whatever it takes" is the mantra that has created pro sports that I honestly don't have much interest in watching because it simply makes it obvious that it's *only* about the money.

It annoys me that the players, probably all of whom were aware of the scheme if not actively participating, got off without being named. I take some comfort in the fact that I won't be seeing many/any of their faces in TV commercials for a few years, and that source of income (for the stars at least) is probably gone now.

(Ok boomer, just move along...)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

The I think there should be a few lifetime bans handed out. That’s the only true message that this won’t be tolerated. Fines and one year suspensions aren’t gonna change behavior. Just like I think Bounty-gate in the NFL should have been punished far more severely than it was. Payton and Williams (at a minimum) should have been banned from the game. And whenever the Saints get horribly ripped off by bad calls I just smile at the karmic payback...

I don’t doubt other teams do the same bad deeds. But the point is to make them STOP doing them. Fines and firings and suspensions won’t do it. Lifetime bans will get their attention!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 AM

Thumbs up The never ending quest...

Say it ain't so, Shoeless Joe
Old 01-16-2020, 07:31 AM

What I don't get though is how other teams didn't figure it out after a short amount of time? It was not that discrete and teams are always hyper aware of sign stealing. I mean I saw a video the other day and the pitcher figured it out after a few pitches and changed the signs.

I'm not saying what they did is any way ok, but still...
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
What I don't get though is how other teams didn't figure it out after a short amount of time? It was not that discrete and teams are always hyper aware of sign stealing. I mean I saw a video the other day and the pitcher figured it out after a few pitches and changed the signs.
It might be only a couple of pitches that change the outcome of a game or playoff series.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Watching NFL games, I notice coaches making an attempt to cover their mouths with paper/cardboard, ostensibly when they're calling in plays. Baseball catchers have been signaling pitchers for a real long time. Did they assume that the batting team wouldn't catch on to what pitch would be thrown next? What am I missing here?
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
It might be only a couple of pitches that change the outcome of a game or playoff series.
They supposedly used it for a majority of the games while in Houston for the WS that year. They were lighting up the Dodger's aces.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-16-2020, 08:14 AM

The funny thing is, cheating in baseball has been an accepted part of the game’s tradition forever. Things like “doctoring” baseballs with foreign substances were looked upon as part of the game if you could get away with it. I’m pretty certain there are still “corked bats” being used here and there.
Back in the old days, they used binoculars and sat out in centerfield stealing signs.
Then there’s the steroid scandal which people in the media knew about while it was happening and were silent.
When a society accepts deceit in professional sports as a means to an end, why are the talking heads “shocked?” They aren’t, they just pretend to be.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 AM

...and Pete Rose is outraged!
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dru,
I’m sensing that our team was in on it, too—and probably for a long time.

Lifetime bans may be in order. MLB sat on its hands while we applauded folk using performance enhancing drugs to get an advantage. Clemmons and Bonds probably make the Hall of Fame eventually.

Here, the outcome of at least one World Series was affected. Compared to that, Pete Rose’s actions were trivial.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-16-2020, 02:28 PM

Vacate the World Series title for that year. That’s what happened in pro cycling after Lance Armstrong got caught. Life time bans are appropriate, too. And I am an Astros fan.

The whole thing to me is what we’re they thinking? All the players were in on it as they got the tips on the signs. As soon as a player gets traded or goes free agent, their allegiance would be with their new team. Of course they will spill the beans. How could Astros management be so stupid.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Everybody on the team knew it. This type of thing comes from the top down.

All they had to do was algorithm the coaches, pitcher and catcher and hitter combos.

Heaven help us!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic