The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-16-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Neck Reset

How much does a neck reset cost?
Old 12-16-2019, 10:39 PM

Default REPAIR VISIT TODAY!

Hi!

Thanks for all the help here, a lot of food for thought! I went to the repair shop today. The owner was again very nice. I went to him for repair about 2 yrs ago. I demonstrated how it sounds in my usual open C tuning CGCEGC I did the octave leaps from open string to 12th fret. He didn't hear a problem, so he took out his electronic tuner and said it was "5 cents" off which he said is hardly detectable to the human ear. He did say my 3rd string was off some and meant the worst was 5 cents and the others less. He said there's no reason to do any pre-positioning of the bridge. He also said the neck is not buckling at all, that it's suppose to be somewhat higher off the fret board up higher on the fret board. For me the 5 cents does bother me, yet I can save money. He didn't quote any price since he felt I didn't have a significant problem. I told him I will have interludes at times that are all instrumental. I often play 12th fret and higher with my songs as it adds more "color" to it all, at least to me, more variety in what one hears, variations from the main melody. I also at times have subtle harmonic overlays... off on my terminology ha! Basically to keep this shorter, he didn't hear any problem. Does anyone else feel that 5 cents is significant? I can tune in between when I tune with open strings, especially that one string, the 3rd to highest or I think it's called the "third string" with the thickest diameter or gauge string is the 6th, right?

He said my bringing my guitar out into winter cold as being "brutal" to my guitar. I said I use those disposable hand warmers with a damp wash cloth. He said he heard of others doing that and he feels doing that doesn't do any good and 15 minutes or 1/2 hr max. I told him my case is made of "structural styrofoam" a denser styrofoam than the picnic coolers. He said that was good, but still keep the time limit rule. That is going to hurt me as I'm thinking now of trying to play at some mellow place like a wine/bistro type bar, unlike a louder more festive beer pub.

I have about 1 1/2 hrs of music, maybe 2 hrs. It's all songs I play and don't trust myself taking requests. Does that sound doable? I thought since people were liking my music at open mics I'd take things to the next level... at least that shop owner felt the next level would be wine bars for my kind of music. How much should I ask for about 1 1/2 or 2 hrs? I might just play for free just to see how I do. I get very nervous, yet I'm better at that now days. I told what the happenings were of people liking my music and he felt I should go the next level.

I checked over my music last night, just my lists of songs, and I have enough for a 60 minute album of original music (2 songs I wrote are on average 22 minutes long. At open mics I had to of course play abridged versions.), and an 84 minute album with quite a few cover songs. I don't know if I should try to see where a company might want to record me as I can't afford paying a studio... probably a pipe dream. What do you others think?

Thanks for any input!
Winfred
Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 PM

Hi raithon!

I had a repair at the same shop 2 yrs ago and another repair person other than the guy I talked to today 12-16-19 a neck reset would be $200. The repair person today said the opposite of what his co-worker had said 2 yrs ago, and that I didn't need a neck reset as the degree my strings are off the fret board by the higher end like 12th fret he said was normal. I primarily inquired to see about my tuning being off when playing above the 10th fret. He used his electronic tuner and said the worst string was the 3rd string being off at 5 cents. See my description at post #18. If you have time let me know what you think. I hope I helped you some. I remember someone said you can go online and search various types of repair prices that are suppose to be average prices. he didn't say where, but I suppose a keyword search would give results.
Carpe Diem!
Winfred
PS I forgot to say that I'm thinking a neck reset is when they have to remount the neck to the body of the guitar, and not just adjusting the truss rod. In my case I own a classical or nylon string guitar and they don't have truss rods, just steel string guitars do. Maybe all you need is a truss rod adjustment which would probably be by far cheaper to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
Old 12-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Just a thought....maybe the strings you are using could be causing intonation problems.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Can you tell us where you're located?

I, for one, would not sit in any kind of establishment and listen to a 22 minute song. Do these songs have any kind of format, chord structure, established melody? I think an example would go a long ways in helping us give you advice. Since you have a phone and a computer, you could maybe post a clip? Also, 5 cents is a minor inconvenience, especially if it's only on one string - I doubt your audience would notice it at all. Depending on how hard you play and how hard you push the strings onto the fretboard, can cause intonation problems and high action on a classical guitar can add to this.

Not sure what 'subtle harmonic overlays' are - could you explain more full ? Is it ambient background meditation music or something like that? Nowadays, it's very possible to record an album (if there is such a thing anymore) on your computer and burn copies to sell at gigs. If you're a solo artist, all you need is a USB microphone and a free program like Audacity to do a limited, but decent job.

Looking forward to a sample of your music.

Last edited by Skip Ellis; 12-17-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:24 AM

Default My strings

Hi Sardara!

I use and love very much Savarez HT Classic 540R strings. It notes "Normal Tension Long Play" and also notes "Trebles Alliance KF, Basses HT Classic" and they cost about $18 a set. A guy at a store that was highly regarded in Minneapolis, but closed after I think about 60 years (the original owner sold to Bob Dylan many years ago) said my guitar is so old I should use medium tension and no longer use high tension. I liked high tension as they sound closer to being like metal strings. I was surprised with this brand, being lower tension, yet still sounding very nice. Is it possible they are causing my problem? I'm going to get photos as all are so patient with me.

A well known indie radio station here (2,700 members) played one of my songs last week. I went in person and left a CD I made from my little Tascam DR-05 hand held digital recorder. It recorded at 9 min 34 sec and at 6 min 42 sec the DJ cut in and gave a station ID on the hour. He texted me while it was playing, yet I didn't get the call. I would never ask him but wonder how strict a station ID is. I think maybe he changed his mind once he heard my song and decided to cut in and fade it out while he announced. This is a nonprofit indie radio station with volunteers etc. I mentioned this to the host of the open mic I go to and she said that's very good they played my song. I mentioned it to 2 other musicians and they both said the same thing.

Sincerely,
Winfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardara View Post
Just a thought....maybe the strings you are using could be causing intonation problems.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:41 AM

The Savarez Alliance have fluorocarbon trebles which are usually much brighter than nylon, they are also thinner in diameter so if the intonation problem is mainly affecting the
trebles then it might possibly be the strings.
Savarez also make sets with nylon trebles which are called New Cristal but you might not like these if you are used to the normal tension Alliance which I found even brighter than
Alliance high tension
Old 01-19-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
Hi! One luthier in the 2 luthier shop said $200, but that was 2 yrs ago. The other luthier in the shop said I didn't need to have that done, yet maybe he was trying to sound nice and didn't want to make me feel bad and secretly felt my guitar is a waste of time. I now have 8 photos. I finally figured it out and have to use another site "Imgur" where my photos are stored and only can provide the links as this forum doesn't have a means to directly post your actual photos. Maybe it takes up too much space or maybe "bandwidth" as they say if everyone posted photos. Thanks for your taking a look!

Sincerely,
Winfred

Last edited by Winfred; 01-20-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The Savarez Alliance have fluorocarbon trebles which are usually much brighter than nylon, they are also thinner in diameter so if the intonation problem is mainly affecting the
trebles then it might possibly be the strings.
Savarez also make sets with nylon trebles which are called New Cristal but you might not like these if you are used to the normal tension Alliance which I found even brighter than
Alliance high tension
Hi Sadara!

Are the strings you mention higher than "normal" tension strings. A luthier told me my guitar is so old he said I shouldn't use high tension strings any more.

Thanks for your input!
Sincerely,
Winfred
Old 01-19-2020, 11:14 PM

Hi Winfred. The low tuning you use is a bit flabby, I use CGCFAC. When you used high tension strings with that tuning, was it somewhat better than what you get with the normal tension?

I went back and saw the 5 cents off at the twelfth fret with your current strings, which is close, but your ability to hear a change as early as the tenth fret has to mean that you have an incredible ear. Did you also mention that the nut is chewed up somewhat? Cheapest repairs first would mean a new nut, or at least a baking soda/superglue fill and refiled grooves.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 01-20-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 PM

Hi Skip!

Thanks for your insights as you're much more knowledgeable about music. They're open mics with 10 minute slots, so I play the allotted time. They're ballads, so folk music, only kind of "New Age" sort of folk music. When I do an interlude they are kind of meditative. If I play at home 2 of the 3 I wrote last about 22 minutes each, yet only with my instrumental interludes and all my lyrics. One guy said most musicians with their original song kind of loose effectiveness after 2 minutes, but that my song had held him for the whole 12 minutes I played.
I get nervous and lose track of time somewhat, so I went over-time. I don't press very hard to the fingerboard. I now have guitar photos at post #1.

I also don't know musical terminology, so just my amateur terms. I'm going to try to record my music, but it's going to be a while before I'm ready. The sample I have a radio station played but it sounded terrible, muddled, worse than the original as I heard it on my hand-held, 2 AA battery powered digital recorder. I feel I've lost my chance with them now. I've become more critical, so no clips yet, and even want to remain incognito. Just seeking advice is all. Thanks for your input!

Sincerely, Winfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Can you tell us where you're located?

I, for one, would not sit in any kind of establishment and listen to a 22 minute song. Do these songs have any kind of format, chord structure, established melody? I think an example would go a long ways in helping us give you advice. Since you have a phone and a computer, you could maybe post a clip? Also, 5 cents is a minor inconvenience, especially if it's only on one string - I doubt your audience would notice it at all. Depending on how hard you play and how hard you push the strings onto the fretboard, can cause intonation problems and high action on a classical guitar can add to this.

Not sure what 'subtle harmonic overlays' are - could you explain more full ? Is it ambient background meditation music or something like that? Nowadays, it's very possible to record an album (if there is such a thing anymore) on your computer and burn copies to sell at gigs. If you're a solo artist, all you need is a USB microphone and a free program like Audacity to do a limited, but decent job.

Looking forward to a sample of your music.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Hi Winfred. The low tuning you use is a bit flabby, I use CGCFAC. When you used high tension strings with that tuning, was it somewhat better than what you get with the normal tension?
Hi Bax!

When I was using high tension I was in the standard tuning only, other than doing a 6th string dropped D once in a while, and rarely playing in open D DADF#AD. My voice though... I decided to go down at first a half step and straining too much, so then I went down a whole step to CGCEGC, or I guess open C. I bet you really know music... what harmonica key would work with the CGCEGC tuning? From what I understand a whole step down from D is C... but it's strange as a long time ago I was in an open C tuning phase and found some songs, like "Spanish Harlem" worked very nice and did my own version of that great song. It was different than when I tune down from open D to open C, but maybe that's just me.

Also, I'm hoping to play harmonica in my open tunings like C and D. I can play harmonica and finger pick but have only done it in standard tuning. I guess it's best if you don't play a harmonica in the same key as your playing the guitar and singing, right? I play standard tuning a half step down because of my voice. My strings were hanging up in tuning and the repair guy used a lead pencil, put some graphite in the groove, and it worked fine! To me the nut doesn't look good, but the repair guy was fine about it. I talked to the repair guy for about an hour. We mainly talked in general at a time when no customers were around. He did put that graphite in the groove. I think that's what he would've done as to begin with he said he was going to fix that and when he did the repair a year before he forgot, and then he also re-strung it. Was it not proper etiquette I didn't pay him anything?

Thanks!
Winfred

Last edited by Winfred; 01-20-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:01 AM

Hi Winfred! your guitar doesn't look in too bad shape, from your description I was expecting worse! It does look as if a new bone nut might help.
If it helps I have seen a very similar guitar to yours which was made by Jose mas y mas
Old 01-21-2020, 10:35 AM

As far as I know, this is correct:

Song Key / Harmonica Key
A / D
Ab / Db
B / E
Bb / Eb
C / F
C# / F#
D / G
E / A
Eb / Ab
G / C
F / Bb
F# / B

Wondering about the nut, if a small bit is chipped/worn away from the body side of the groove, it could affect what you hear, even if it's just for one string, because one string slightly out of tune sounds pretty terrible.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Hi Winfred! your guitar doesn't look in too bad shape, from your description I was expecting worse! It does look as if a new bone nut might help.
If it helps I have seen a very similar guitar to yours which was made by Jose mas y mas
Agreed, it's not looking to be in too bad shape by the pics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
bridge, feasibility, guitar repair, prices, wood type