The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-28-2011, 07:02 AM

I tend to make a list of what a lot of other Pros are using and price them and try them if possible. There is so much almost too much to choose from in the Music Equipment World. I am personally trying to simplify with satisfaction. I try to judge with my ears and one other Musician whom I respect.

It's the Music That Really Matters!

Last edited by Compurocker; 03-28-2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Initially answered question thinking of voc mics.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Since we have no real idea how the km184 was mixed in the combo of his sound, I don't think I'd worry that much about it.

The km184 is a very toppy mic. It was more in vogue in analog tape days and was a choice after Neumann stopped making the km84, The km 84 is a much more natural sounding mic.

For live/PA use, the km 184 will prevail though muddy PA systems. (Even an AKG C1000 can sound tame through a muddy PA.) The added highs will give you a bit extra to replace typical PA loss. For studio, it's BRIGHT.

I have the K&K Pure Western Mini in my Martin and it works really well all by itself. If I had a touring company at my beck and call, as Jackson Brown does, didn't have to worry about it being stolen at a gig and wanted to add a mic to my live rig, just because I could, it would probably be a Schoeps cmc64 or cmc641.

Although the Sennheiser MKH 8040 is even more expensive than the Schoeps and is very nice (although a bit bright at the top and bottom), for normal people, there are other solutions.

For the price, Audix SCX-1 HC and Audio Technica 4035b do a nice job.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Many thanks! Snagged an Octava MK-012!

After listening to clips and listening to tips from you guys, I just snagged an Oktava MK-012 for under 160 clams used. Now I'm going to send it Micheal Joly, who I never even heard of before you all guided me in his direction over the last couple of days. I swear, I've learned more about microphones in the last 48 hours than all of the accumulated knowledge I'd learned in the last 40 years. I'm very appreciative. This is going to be my live acoustic guitar guitar mic to put in front of my K&K equipped guitars.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 03-28-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Your OP mentioned 2 mics of course if you desire a pair then another MK-012 would make sense.
Or another approach might be to now add an LDC that you can use for both stereo gtr and for vocals.... Or a different SDC.

One mic I've heard that has not been mentioned and IMO is impressive is the Mercanry KM 69 it is somewhat like a Neumann 84 ( some think better) at a very good price point well under 1k street. http://www.mercenary.com/mamfgkm69.html

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Your OP mentioned 2 mics of course if you desire a pair then another MK-012 would make sense.
Or another approach might be to now add an LDC that you can use for both stereo gtr and for vocals.... Or a different SDC.

One mic I've heard that has not been mentioned and IMO is impressive is the Mercanry KM 69 it is somewhat like a Neumann 84 ( some think better) at a very good price point well under 1k street. http://www.mercenary.com/mamfgkm69.html
I'm looking for a second one right now. And thanks to AlohaChris, I'll be sending both to Micheal Joly to have modded to Neumann KM 84 tone. http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product...roducts_id=165

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD