The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-11-2023, 08:56 AM

Month three - now entering a consolidation phase until I feel comfortable enough to move onto... you know... that F thing & the second grade of the course I'm following.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:36 AM

Took a step backwards this week in hopes of eventually taking several steps forwards by mainly focusing on songs that work the two chords I find most difficult - C & D.. well, save for Dm.. but I'll tackle more of that another time. I think another couple of weeks consolidating this type of stuff & then I'll feel more ready to move onto the next chunk of learning.

I'll next be reflecting on my first 100 hours & then after that it'll be December so... I'd may as well start practicing with a few Christmas bangers.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:12 PM

100 hours officially completed... couldn't help but put together a little compilation. Still rubbish but on we march!
Old 12-01-2023, 10:05 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I think you're ready to learn a little bit of finger style. Maybe start with Travis picking. This would enable you to play tunes that have a bit of melody going on, instead of having to hear it in your head while you're strumming.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-02-2023, 12:52 AM

Just want to say I’m enjoying watching you progress. Way to keep it up! I think recording yourself is a great way to motivate yourself, and wish I did the same to be able to look back on how I started. I do get a little reminder of what it felt like when I visit my parents, as my dad’s Martin still has the scars from when I had little to no pick control and abused the hell out of his guitar 😁
Old 12-06-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think you're ready to learn a little bit of finger style. Maybe start with Travis picking. This would enable you to play tunes that have a bit of melody going on, instead of having to hear it in your head while you're strumming.

Good luck and enjoy your journey.
Thanks so much! I have incidentally started doing some very simple fingerstyle stuff.. just a couple of very basic melodies that I spend a little time running through every day to get my fingers somewhat accustomed to the types of movements. Not sure when the course I'm following will itself take a closer look at it - maybe in the 2nd grade stuff that I'll be starting at some point this month. But it's something I do want to slowly bring onboard so thought I'd getting cracking with basics!
Old 12-06-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkslksj View Post
Just want to say I’m enjoying watching you progress. Way to keep it up! I think recording yourself is a great way to motivate yourself, and wish I did the same to be able to look back on how I started. I do get a little reminder of what it felt like when I visit my parents, as my dad’s Martin still has the scars from when I had little to no pick control and abused the hell out of his guitar 😁
Ahh thanks so much, I appreciate that & glad to hear you're enjoying! Hopefully you relate to some of it when you think back to those first early months! I'm glad the pick guard is there because there are scratches galore on mine so I know what you mean about the abuse you gave it
Old 12-11-2023, 12:29 PM

I couldn't help but get a little festive. Been practicing stuff that should well & truly annoy my family when performed in mum's living room in a couple weeks time.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:17 AM

Short snappy update as I come to the end of a consolidation phase... bigger & newer things to come in the next week or so.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:33 AM

This is just a video of my general review on the online course I'm following now I've completed grade one... might be a useful little watch for anyone considering learning guitar or looking for opinions of an online course who may stumble across this thread (now or in the future).
Old 02-25-2024, 11:02 AM

Apologies for the two months absence - super busy with life stuff! I hope anyone who's still around from last year are keeping well & have had a good start to this year!

On my front.. bad news is I didn't have time to record updates or really progress much through modules...
However.. good news is I still managed to put in circa' one hour practice pretty much every day which has just helped me further cement the early foundational stuff as well as the new things learned in the first module of grade two, which I've now completed between the start of Jan & now...

In the next module I'm about to start I (finally) start taking a first look at the F.
Old 04-10-2024, 02:04 PM

After 8 months I've had my first go at singing while playing... it's about 2 or 3 years too soon - but I figured it'd be good to get these early attempts recorded & documented to also look back on & laugh along with the rest of it in 10 years.

Kept it simple... simple song.. simple chords... still bloody tough! I wasn't expecting to even be able to attempt this sort of thing until around the 2/3 year mark to be honest so super stoked to be giving it a bash after 8 months.

Need to get a general update/progress video done soon as I'm nearing the end of my time on the current module I've been going through since the start of last month.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write