The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-22-2022, 10:06 AM

Default Cellular service PSA.

Everyone should be aware of calls over WiFi feature if they have it and configure it whether or not you plan to use it.

Why: Our region has a major fiber cut 85 mi away at getting towards 20 hours it is still impacting people. Those with WiFi calling have had service. Many trying to configure last night could not during the outage nor could they reach customer support in a timely manner.

You get another benefit - service or coverage when the cellular wireless performance is poor or nonexistent.

It can be entertaining too. Some places I go for back country sports have no cellular coverage but a food and beverage place will have WiFi.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for that tip. Im only vaguely familiar, but given the poor cellular reliability at our house, I want to use this.

How is it activated, once enabled? Does a “one bar signal” trigger it to switch? Or dropped call?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 06-22-2022, 04:12 PM

Something I learned years ago is that 911 calls and mapping is more accurate on Wi-Fi than on cellular. I'm not sure why that is but if you're on Wi-Fi and turn it off you'll often get the message stating greater accuracy for these services on Wi-Fi.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 06-22-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Something I learned years ago is that 911 calls and mapping is more accurate on Wi-Fi than on cellular. I'm not sure why that is but if you're on Wi-Fi and turn it off you'll often get the message stating greater accuracy for these services on Wi-Fi.
I don't believe that's true or good advice with a reasonably supported or phone. Their GPS reception works separate. Without cellular or WiFi service my last generation phone mapped the walk I did last night just like the last 2-3 phones did. Those are iPhones but it's same with the Android devices we have at work.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:10 PM

I used to have Sprint. They became T Mobile. Sent me a new SIM card. Installed it and reaped the benefit that my cell no longer could call or text in my house. Wife has same phone, same plan and has not changed her SIM yet. Her phone works fine, just like mine used to. Call to T Mobil service would make a great comedy routine someday.

After I got tired of standing in the middle of the road in front of my house to use my phone, I turned on WiFi calling. Works great. She’s changing her card today. Curious to see if she has the same “benefit” I got.

Rich
Old 06-25-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Thanks for that tip. Im only vaguely familiar, but given the poor cellular reliability at our house, I want to use this.

How is it activated, once enabled? Does a “one bar signal” trigger it to switch? Or dropped call?
On my Android with T-mobile, it is as simple as just selecting allowing wifi calling in the drop down settings menu where I find my wifi or flashlight icons. My wife as At&t and her phone does not work in our house, so I turned on her wifi calling and it works fine now.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
On my Android with T-mobile, it is as simple as just selecting allowing wifi calling in the drop down settings menu where I find my wifi or flashlight icons. My wife as At&t and her phone does not work in our house, so I turned on her wifi calling and it works fine now.
I'll have to look at that option. Always good to have a second option if your first option isn't available.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic