The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2017, 09:24 PM

Default Yamaha L10AE restoring

So After many years of discarding my first guitar, given to me by my dad who owned it first, I've realised that it's better then I thought.

It's a 1984 Yamaha L10AE, I'm assuming the E stands for electric as I haven't been able to find any info on it.

Does anyone know much more about these guitars? I have a serial number but I can't decipher it, even with the posted decipher charts. The number is 1507004 or maybe the '1' is an 'I'? Not sure.

Few issues with guitar, it has always sounded very thin with the top 3 strings. Doesn't have the bass I thought it should have with the rosewood back and sides. Could this be from it being dried out? I feel it need some rehydration. Action is super low too, think it needs a good neck reset.

Main question - if one has an old guitar that needs a solid spruce up ( no pun intended) what should I do? Let's say money is no option, I want this thing refreshed and ready to go. What would you guys do to get it top notch again, I guess without ruining the nice aging it's gained.

Thanks guys.

AZucchi87
Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 AM

Take it to a decent luthier. If the action is too low it will compromise both tone and volume. If a neck re-set is needed you'll need to weigh up the cost-benefit.

Last edited by AndrewG; 08-21-2017 at 05:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
neck, restoring, rosewood, vintage, yamaha