The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Default (HELP!) - Taylor 314ce deciding to buy

I have a few questions about the Taylor 314ce.

I saw 2 Taylor 314ce at my local guitar store. One has the expression 1 pickup system (old version) and one has the expression 2 pickup system (new version). They are clearing out the old version at the price of $1274. The new version is $1699.

1) What year did Taylor 314ce change the pickguard from turquoise to black?
2) Does anyone know which year is the model number 60xxxxxx vs 90xxxxxx?
3) Were all Taylor 314ce maybe with all solid wood (side, back and top) since they came out?
4) I heard the neck of the older version is different from the current Taylor 314ce version 2014. What is the difference?
5) Should I get the older version or the new version?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 PM

That's a horrible price. Check our vendors here. Used they go for $850-900.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acisawesome View Post
I have a few questions about the Taylor 314ce.

I saw 2 Taylor 314ce at my local guitar store. One has the expression 1 pickup system (old version) and one has the expression 2 pickup system (new version). They are clearing out the old version at the price of $1274. The new version is $1699.
Buy secondhand. The 3xx Series Taylors can be acquired for well under USD$1000 without too much difficulty on eBay or your local online classifieds. If you want something even less expensive, try and locate a Taylor GA3, which is a less-ornate sitka/sapele Grand Auditorium without a cutaway and electronics but otherwise pretty much identical to a 314. If you don't mind a Dreadnought, there is the similar Taylor DN3. Either the GA3, DN3, or even the early all-solid USA 2xx Series Taylors are probably THE best value in used all-solid American Taylors.

Quote:
2) Does anyone know which year is the model number 60xxxxxx vs 90xxxxxx?
The 60xxxxxx Serial Number makes no sense in the Taylor numbering system. Are you sure you have it correct?

90xxxxxx would indicate that it was made in 1990. However, I don't even think the 3xx Series existed in 1990. The x14 Grand Auditorium shape didn't even debut until 1994.

Long story short: Verify your serial numbers and decipher them using the guide posted on the Taylor official website: http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/ta...my-guitar-made

Quote:
3) Were all Taylor 314ce maybe with all solid wood (side, back and top) since they came out?
Yes.

Quote:
5) Should I get the older version or the new version?
If you're trying to decide between the two at your local store, with the major difference between the ES1 and ES2 electronics packages, plug both in (presuming you intend to play amplified) and listen to how they sound.

Personally, because I never plug in and I don't gig, all my consideration would be focused on playability and unplugged sound. In my situation I wouldn't even be paying attention to which Expression System was on board, but I'm in the minority as an owner of acoustic guitars without electronics.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
Buy secondhand. The 3xx Series Taylors can be acquired for well under USD$1000 without too much difficulty on eBay or your local online classifieds. If you want something even less expensive, try and locate a Taylor GA3, which is a less-ornate sitka/sapele Grand Auditorium without a cutaway and electronics but otherwise pretty much identical to a 314. If you don't mind a Dreadnought, there is the similar Taylor DN3. Either the GA3, DN3, or even the early all-solid USA 2xx Series Taylors are probably THE best value in used all-solid American Taylors.

The 60xxxxxx Serial Number makes no sense in the Taylor numbering system. Are you sure you have it correct?

I really need the cutaway, so that's why I wanted the 314ce. Hmm maybe it was 109xxxxxx and 106xxxxxx I was comparing
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 PM

Mine has the ES1 as far as I know (2004, unmodified) I gig with it, and it sounds great. I paid a lot less than that for mine (used), but you're getting to handle both of the ones you are considering, which is worth a lot.

New, you get the factory warranty. Used, you can save a lot of money. That makes more difference to me than which version of the electronics are inboard. BTW, you can upgrade an ES1 to an ES2, if you want to.
Fender Standard Stratocaster - 2000
Genz-Benz Shenandoah Jr
Old 11-13-2014, 07:09 AM

If the newer one has the ES2 isn't it a LTD? wouldn't that be an all koa guitar?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post

I second this motion.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:29 AM

$1699 is standard retail sell price (not list price) for 3xx-ce models.
The older one might be a 2009, but you need to verify the serial numbers - second digit = 0 is 2009. If this is leftover (NOS) from 5 years ago, but still new with full lifetime fatory warranty it might be a good deal. As others have pointed out, used 314ce's can go for $100 or so, but you dont' ge ta lifetime warranty on a used one.
On the 'newer' one -unless this is a MTO (made to order), it does not have the ES2 system in it. No 314s have been made with the ES2, the reference above for a Koa LTD is a 324 series.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 AM

GC is selling brand new 314ce's at that price, so I'll assume that's where you're shopping. I almost bought one a few days ago, but I prefer the grand concert size and scale length.

These are brand new guitars, with the full Taylor warranty. They're blowing them out, because they're only going to carry ES2 314's now.

ES1 vs ES2:

I have ES2, and it does sound more acoustic. It also amplifies string squeaks much more than ES1. That can be remedied by backing off the adjustment screws on the bridge. I hated it when I bought it 10 days ago, and now I'm enjoying it more.

The ES1 has a more electric sound, but it's okay. You won't experience the type of amplified string noise heard with ES2, so it has that going for it. String to string balance on the ES1 314 I played was pretty good, but ES2 allows you to adjust string response, but only in pairs.

What you're getting at GC is a fully warrantied new Taylor with a cutaway and electronics, at the price of a non-cutaway and no electronics. Sounds easy enough to me, unless you want the ES2 sound.

EDIT: The 314ce I almost bought on Tuesday was built in April 2014. These are not used guitars.

Last edited by FrankB2; 11-13-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I'm going to join the chorus here and say you may want to check some of our sponsors here for a competitive price. I've dealt with Ted many times at LA Guitar Sales and can highly recommend him.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 AM

The $1274 (ES1 older version) is a brand new one according the salesman. That's why I'm debating to get the new version ($1699 ES1) or the old version ($1274 ES1).

When I played both 314ce with the ES1 and ES2. The ES1 sounds brighter, a little less responsive on the electric end and I need to turn the volume to like max to hear the guitar. The ES2 has a fatter? muddier tone? I guess like someone here said it sounds more acoustic and I definitely don't need to turn the volume that high up to hear the guitar.

Other than clearing out the old version, I think there is also another reason why the old version ($1274 ES1) is selling that low. When I was playing the old version ($1274 ES1), the high E string had this minor sitar sound. How much does it cost to fix that? I also notice there's no stick that say "it is equipped with elixir strings." It does not sounds as bright as the new version ($1699 ES1) or maybe the strings are getting old.

The reason why I'm holding back on the old version ($1274 ES1) is because

1) it's final sale since it's a clearance item
2) there's some minor sound issue related to the nut (sitar sound on the high E string)
3) the string on the guitar doesn't sound as bright. I hope it's the guitar strings.
4) the salesman said the old version ($1274 ES1) and new version ($1699 ES1) had a different neck. One is slimmer than the other? The new version ($1699 ES1) has an easier neck to relief/reset the neck? I can't tell the difference

More questions...

1) Should I just not care about the electronics and switch out the pickup system later on?
2) What are some good microphones to record acoustic guitar?

Last edited by acisawesome; 11-13-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:09 AM

---delete post-----

Last edited by acisawesome; 11-13-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:23 AM

Just joining the chorus here. The 314ce can be had at a much better price. And that includes at GC. I now because my son and I were looking at them there a couple of weeks ago.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
The $1274 (ES1 older version) is a brand new one according the salesman. That's why I'm debating to get the new version ($1699 ES1) or the old version ($1274 ES1).

When I played both 314ce with the ES1 and ES2. The ES1 sounds brighter, a little less responsive on the electric end and I need to turn the volume to like max to hear the guitar. The ES2 has a fatter? muddier tone? I guess like someone here said it sounds more acoustic and I definitely don't need to turn the volume that high up to hear the guitar.

Other than clearing out the old version, I think there is also another reason why the old version ($1274 ES1) is selling that low. When I was playing the old version ($1274 ES1), the high E string had this minor sitar sound. How much does it cost to fix that? I also notice there's no stick that say "it is equipped with elixir strings." It does not sounds as bright as the new version ($1699 ES1) or maybe the strings are getting old.

The reason why I'm holding back on the old version ($1274 ES1) is because

1) it's final sale since it's a clearance item
2) there's some minor sound issue related to the nut (sitar sound on the high E string)
3) the string on the guitar doesn't sound as bright. I hope it's the guitar strings.
4) the salesman said the old version ($1274 ES1) and new version ($1699 ES1) had a different neck. One is slimmer than the other? The new version ($1699 ES1) has an easier neck to relief/reset the neck? I can't tell the difference

More questions...

1) Should I just not care about the electronics and switch out the pickup system later on?
2) What are some good microphones to record acoustic guitar?
Just to clarify. Both guitars are likely ES1 version 3. The only 300 series model that currently has the ES2 (it will have 3 hex screw adjustment slots in the bridge) would be the 324ce K FLTD and 326ce K FLTD guitars and the 320e SLTD Baritone.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

The 2014 to any 314 built after 2006 are idendical except for the electronics package .
The necks have not changed a bit. still Taylor's standard carve.

In 2006 the complete line of Taylor's 300 and up went to the forward shifted x-bracing pattern, This made the lower line guitars sound great, Love the lows of the sapeile 314ce.
I never plug in so electronic's aren't an issue to me , So If a little change in amplified sound doesn't matter.
Anything above a 2006 would be a good choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
model, neck, pickup, taylor 314ce, year