The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 AM

Default Gibson Southern Jumbo low volume on high strings (amplified)

Hi, on my Southern Jumbo I noticed the high strings, esp. when playing single string lines are much lower in volume than the low strings. It is outfitted with the piezo that came in the guitar (I suppose a Baggs Element). Could it be a problem regarding pressure on the bridge? Any simple cure for it?
Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasG View Post
Hi, on my Southern Jumbo I noticed the high strings, esp. when playing single string lines are much lower in volume than the low strings. It is outfitted with the piezo that came in the guitar (I suppose a Baggs Element). Could it be a problem regarding pressure on the bridge? Any simple cure for it?
Thanks
Yes make sure the pickup is sitting flat in the slot or there's nothing impeding it from making full contact. This is fairly common
Old 03-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock School Of Music View Post
Yes make sure the pickup is sitting flat in the slot or there's nothing impeding it from making full contact. This is fairly common
Thanks for the input, might check this out
Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 PM

You can also add a slip or more of paper between the saddle and the transducer underneath the strings that lack volume. In my MiSi equipped guitar there are three layers of paper to make the high E string a bit louder to facilitate playing electric guitar leads in my acoustic duo.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 AM

From your description I'm willing to bet your saddle is not completely flat. As someone else said check to make sure the element is nice and flat and the length of it should extend beyond the strings. You may have to sand the saddle a little. I found the Baggs element is a little more picky than other UST'S when it comes to the saddle being flat.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM

I had the same issue with my Taylor nylon with the ES1..

Truing up the saddle so it was precisely flat did help but not 100%.. I think tension on the nylons just not quite the same as steel strings. In this case the secret trick was to take a piece of copper shielding tape, and tape/place under those spots in the saddle where the quiet strings were (mostly the G,D,A strings G and D being the most obvious.)

Took a little bit of trial and error with the exact spot needed, but once I got it, it did take care of the issue. I was quite pleased cuz that was driving me a bit nutty.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the inputs so far...might give it a try...
Old 03-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You can also add a slip or more of paper between the saddle and the transducer underneath the strings that lack volume.
^^^This helped me to solve the same problem.
BTW I had a string balance issue in two out of three pickups based on the Baggs Element, so it's not uncommon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification