The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Going from one guitar to 2 channels on a mixer for a live gig?

Is it worthy to set the two channels on a mixing board like this - I'm using an acoustic preamp/EQ pedal, and a multi-effect unit for added effects. Both of them have two outputs (XLR/1/4), so I'm thinking about doubling the guitar with using both outputs from a preamp - one to go a multi-effect unit, and other to one channel on a board. Then, I'll use the output of a multi-effects for another channel on a board, and balance the two channels for liking. Anyone tried something similar? Also, would you suggest a XLR output or 1/4? (Both units have one XLR and one 1/4 output).
Old 03-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Does your effects pedal have a mix % control? That would be an easier way of accomplishing the same thing. Unless you want to process the 2 channels differently, different EQ or compression or whatever, I don't see a huge advantage to doing it this way.

If your effect unit is digital, there's a chance that it'll have just enough latency to be noticeable compared to the dry signal. Maybe you'd like the sound of that, maybe not.

Also, a 1/4" input on a mixer input typically doesn't have the correct impedance for a guitar, so it might not sound the best plugged straight into a mixer. The XLR might give you better results than 1/4" in this case.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
Does your effects pedal have a mix % control? That would be an easier way of accomplishing the same thing. Unless you want to process the 2 channels differently, different EQ or compression or whatever, I don't see a huge advantage to doing it this way.

If your effect unit is digital, there's a chance that it'll have just enough latency to be noticeable compared to the dry signal. Maybe you'd like the sound of that, maybe not.

Also, a 1/4" input on a mixer input typically doesn't have the correct impedance for a guitar, so it might not sound the best plugged straight into a mixer. The XLR might give you better results than 1/4" in this case.
B Adams,
Thank you for this reply. I am not the OP, but I was able to glean something from your reply.

I always noticed the sound direct to my mixer seemed more punchy than when I went through any multi effects unit I have. My guitar also seemed more punchy going direct to any Amp I play through. I never thought about the latency from a multi effects unit. That makes sense. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification