The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Unlike the Behringer, the Fishman sub passes everything through.
The Behringer has two 'output' options-one that is a 'pass through' with which the entire signal range goes through the sub and to the output and another that has a HPF at 100hz.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 PM

I am not a big fan of subs but if I had to add one:

Electro-Voice ELX200-12SP 12

Money yes, but it has the power to provide some sound and at 42lbs is a reasonable load in.

hunter
Old 03-16-2019, 04:34 PM

I have an EV EKX 15 inch sub, very nice. But WAYYY to big to carry with the S1s! I don't believe any of the EVs have built in crossovers, just DSP that allows you to set what frequencies the subs themselves produce. So I'm guessing one would still need an external crossover to use one of those with the S1s otherwise the full range signal will still come through.

But yes, the new ELX200 series look really nice for a mid-level PA setup!

Good to know about the Fishman sub, looks like Behringer might be the way to go. Just trying to think if one would be enough for a small setup.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
I have an EV EKX 15 inch sub, very nice. But WAYYY to big to carry with the S1s! I don't believe any of the EVs have built in crossovers, just DSP that allows you to set what frequencies the subs themselves produce. So I'm guessing one would still need an external crossover to use one of those with the S1s otherwise the full range signal will still come through.

But yes, the new ELX200 series look really nice for a mid-level PA setup!

Good to know about the Fishman sub, looks like Behringer might be the way to go. Just trying to think if one would be enough for a small setup.
If you're only vocals and guitar a sub isn't likely even a necessity, but will fill out the bottom well. We've used a single Behringer sub with two Alto Troupers on poles for several large outdoor gigs and it's been plenty!
Old 03-16-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napman View Post
Thanks so much, I always have faith in Fishman amp and still have some of them. I'll check it out for sure. Another best part for this one is the weight (less than 30 lb), I'm 72 and no longer want to lug those heavy stuffs around anymore :-)
You're very welcome. For it's size and weight I'm amazed at the amount of bass this sub puts out, and it's pretty flexible in it's configuration options. Very underrated, especially if you want to travel light.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

This just in! $100 price drop on the Fishman sub!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...for-the-sa330x
Old 03-18-2019, 12:10 PM

I bought the Behringer for $229 (reverb I think from Alto music) and at first thought it didn't do anything. After some experimenting, I found that I had to turn the volume down on my S1 to balance the volumes between the S1 and the sub. SO, to make it sound right to my ear, I can't use the S1 at full volume.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm not interested in the Fishman due to the lack of a crossover.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
There's a lot I don't know about this stuff, but I see a low-pass filter with three settings on the back of the unit, and it's described as a crossover low-pass filter in the manual.

80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz
Old 03-18-2019, 01:55 PM

The Fishman sub is designed to work with the SA300x “Fishstick”.
The Fishstick has a sub out jack on the back. When you insert a cable there it engages a
100Hz high pass filter on the Fishstick so it doesn’t waste energy trying repro deep bass.
The sub has a 100Hz low pass filter that compliments what is going on with the “Stick”.
Working together, each unit only has to repro what it’s best at.

For versatility the Fishman sub allows one to adjust low pass cutoff a little higher or lower than 100Hz.
But the pass through output on the Fishman sub passes everything, no filtering.

What DavisE wants (I assume) is a sub that has a high pass filter on the sub’s pass through
output so he can put it in front of a Bose S1.
The Behringer sub does have an adjustable high pass filter on one of it’s outputs.

Personally, adding a sub to an S1 doesn’t seem completely crazy, but seems to undo a lot of what the S1 is all about.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Roger, appreciate it.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I bought the Behringer for $229 (reverb I think from Alto music) and at first thought it didn't do anything. After some experimenting, I found that I had to turn the volume down on my S1 to balance the volumes between the S1 and the sub. SO, to make it sound right to my ear, I can't use the S1 at full volume.

That is really strange. I had a B1200D for a few years and sold it together with my L1 compacts. It easily served 2 compacts without going to it's limit. And a compact is definatly louder than a S1.
Did they change the B1200D in the last years?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I just hooked up my S1 to the Behr 1200d. I use a mixer when I do this as the sub isn't needed in lower volume gigs. I plug into the 1200d then out into the S1. I had to turn the 1200d down to 1/4 to match the volume of the S1. Yes the S1 can be turned up full volume to do this.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:30 PM

That does seem odd that the S1 would overpower the Behringer that much. On the Bose forums there are some who have run 2 S1 Pros with the Bose F1 Sub, and that thing is rated at 1000 watts, but they have to dial it back for the S1s.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post

Personally, adding a sub to an S1 doesn’t seem completely crazy, but seems to undo a lot of what the S1 is all about.

Cheers, _Roger
I think that it is just folks finding new ways to use things. I get that the sub takes away from the initial design/idea behind the S1 Pro, and obviously makes the battery power somewhat useless, but in my case, I'm looking at them as a part of a micro-PA system for gigs so I don't have to haul my regular stuff all the time. My vehicle for hauling stuff isn't as big as what I used to have so for me, 2 S1 Pros and a small sub or 2 will take up a lot less space than my 2 DBR10s and my big 15 inch EV sub. I can haul things easier, set up quicker, and tear down faster. Plus they sound so nice!

Looks like other DJ companies are also getting the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsSEKDBGtmU
Old 03-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

After reading this thread I've set up my S1 and Behringer sub using a Yamaha mixer. It sounds great as the sub fattens up the bottom end of the guitar sound and the S1 (on a sub pole) provides wide dispersion and a full middle and top end. Since the mixer adds plenty to gain up front the S1 at about 1/3 volume is all I want in my small practice room. I can imagine this setup sounding good in most of the settings in which the duo I'm a part of plays.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification