The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Default Two mics to an AER??? MIT degree needed?

Hope someone has a simple solution here, because I can't figure it out.

I have an AER compact 60. It has two jacks--one for guitar and one for mic. I want to mic the guitar while still using the mic jack for singing mic. For use in quiet settings. Is this doable?

Any suggestions mucho appreciated!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

You need a mixer of some type. Or a different amp.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Sure, it's doable... although I'm not sure how practical it will be in application...

What you need is a line matching transformer... usually around $10-$15 or less... has a XLR in on one side and a 1/4" plug on the other. You put your mic cable into it and then plug it in to the channel 1 input.

I use this when I use my K&K PURE preamp with my Goodall, so I can get the phantom power for the preamp and use my vocal mic through the channel one input.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Sure, it's doable... although I'm not sure how practical it will be in application...

What you need is a line matching transformer... usually around $10-$15 or less... has a XLR in on one side and a 1/4" plug on the other. You put your mic cable into it and then plug it in to the channel 1 input.
Just to be clear for the OP - you are assuming a dynamic mic, right? You won't get phantom power from the 1/4 inch input/adaptor.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 PM

Appreciate the responses so far. I'm a completely illiterate on amplification and it's amazing to me how complicated it seems.

"What you need is a line matching transformer... usually around $10-$15 or less... has a XLR in on one side and a 1/4" plug on the other. You put your mic cable into it and then plug it in to the channel 1 input." This sounds simple enough--why would it be difficult in application?

All i want to do is have a set up that will amplify my pickupless guitar and my voice with the same or better quality this AER has. So two mics to a quality acoustic amp.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Sorry, I don't mean to be flip, but if you want a solution, it helps to understand a bit about the problem. You'd hate to buy stuff only to find out it doesn't actually help. It can be pretty simple, but there are always things that can complicate the system. And if you want to do something the equipment wasn't designed for, why should it be simple?

If you're using a dynamic mic (doesn't need to be powered through the cable), which is most likely the case, the matching transformer will be easy...

Unless you get one that goes the wrong way (you need one like this that goes from a low-impedance device like a mic to a high-impedance input like the guitar channel on the amp. Others go the opposite direction.

Or you have a condensor mic that needs phantom power, that needs to be handled as well.

That's the reason for all the caveats. We want things to be as simple as they can, but we also want to help you get it right!

(I also work in IT. People have no idea how much work it can take just to "show a presentation" or "set up a new printer".)
Old 03-13-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post

Sorry, I don't mean to be flip, but if you want a solution, it helps to understand a bit about the problem. You'd hate to buy stuff only to find out it doesn't actually help. It can be pretty simple, but there are always things that can complicate the system. And if you want to do something the equipment wasn't designed for, why should it be simple?

If you're using a dynamic mic (doesn't need to be powered through the cable), which is most likely the case, the matching transformer will be easy...

Unless you get one that goes the wrong way (you need one like this that goes from a low-impedance device like a mic to a high-impedance input like the guitar channel on the amp. Others go the opposite direction.

Or you have a condensor mic that needs phantom power, that needs to be handled as well.

That's the reason for all the caveats. We want things to be as simple as they can, but we also want to help you get it right!

(I also work in IT. People have no idea how much work it can take just to "show a presentation" or "set up a new printer".)
You’re hired!

Seriously—Appreciate that. I basically need to suck it up and go to school. I feel like my 89 year old dad trying to work an iPhone......
Old 03-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
Seriously—Appreciate that. I basically need to suck it up and go to school. I feel like my 89 year old dad trying to work an iPhone......
Hey, even the pros fight with this stuff some times! And knowing what to ask for can be half the battle. Here's a link to another model of the same thing at Guitar Center that's a bit less expensive. Chances are it will do what you want, simply... and if not, return it, and come back and see us here!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:49 PM

No, I think Stanford is all that's required.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Get yourself one of these low to hi impedance transformers. Problem solved
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Hey, even the pros fight with this stuff some times! And knowing what to ask for can be half the battle. Here's a link to another model of the same thing at Guitar Center that's a bit less expensive. Chances are it will do what you want, simply... and if not, return it, and come back and see us here!
Done and done! Baby steps. Thanks all
Old 11-30-2022, 07:19 AM

Default AER

I’ve been doing small gigs using an AER 60/4 and using a Shure SM58, I’ve tried to upgrade to a Neumann kms104 , but it doesn’t work with the AER. Is it because it’s not a XLR sat both ends of the cable, and does anyone know a way to get the 104 to work. Help
Old 11-30-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shytalk View Post
I’ve been doing small gigs using an AER 60/4 and using a Shure SM58, I’ve tried to upgrade to a Neumann kms104 , but it doesn’t work with the AER. Is it because it’s not a XLR sat both ends of the cable, and does anyone know a way to get the 104 to work. Help
As noted above - the 104 is a condenser mic that requires 48V phantom power which the AER apparently doesn't supply. I don't have an AER, but instead a DeCapo which *does* provide phantom power but I digress.

To make it work you'll need a small preamp that can provide 48v phantom power to the mic, then take line out of that into the AER. Something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ne_Preamp.html

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-30-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Why couldn’t you use a small external mixer in this situation?
Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shytalk View Post
The 104 requires phantom power. You can use a small phantom power source to provide that, no external mixer is required.

One example of an external phantom power source can be found HERE. There are many other options to chose from.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification