The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Thinking of getting CAD certified...

25 years ago I was a technical illustrator using Alias software to render in virtual 3D. My focus was essentially in interior design conceptualization. I gave it up because I wasn't well schooled on the business end and I needed to eat and pay rent - and I've always regretted it. This was also back when dialup Internet was still the norm and all my expenditures for updating my portfolio and doing self promotion was at Kinko's and the USPS.

After a recent sit-down with a local renovation firm to do my bathroom I was presented with a mockup that showed me that my old work (though dated) was not nearly as bad as I thought it was. It got the wheels turning in my head that maybe I could get back into it.

I'd like to think that things have changed for the better with regards to networking and that I've learned what NOT to do. I admit that I still need to figure out a lot of things if I want to get back in the game.

I would be remiss if I didn't add that my 11yo son is also interested in something along these lines and I see it as a means of inspiring him as well. I wish there were "virtual sandbox" computer games like Minecraft, SIM City, Roblox, Planet Coaster, etc.

I know that a lot of you here have experience in engineering and carpentry and whatnot, so I'm posing the question to you: is it in my interest to go back to school to get certified in industry standard technology and invest in the the hardware to refresh my portfolio? I like to think that my schooling gave me the understanding of the basic concepts.

What do you think?
Old 03-06-2019, 08:21 AM

What is your ultimate goal - a job in the field? The problem with 'school' training in any software is that it quickly dates itself - new versions of the software are getting released so often that one has to relearn all the time. So if you can complete the schooling, then find a job right away with that knowledge, then you're good to go - as updates happen, you will learn the new versions on the job. On the other hand, if it takes a year or 2 to find a job in the field, your knowledge may already be 'old'.

There are many free CAD programs available, and you can try out your hand on them (or your kid can) using youtube tutorials.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 AM

I have my 2 year degree in CADD and have never “used” it. I went to work for a electric company and have had to read some basic electrical drawings but I work with guys that have no college experience that do that too..... I have used CADD a few times to redo some drawings but that was basically bosses complaining that they needed updated and me volunteering to do them since I had the knowledge. When I first graduated I interviewed several places. Most of them didn’t use Cad. They had several other systems that they used. When I was in school I thought myself to use Solid works and through school I learned several other programs including how to programs for a CNC machine but professionally I’ve not used any of them. In short I think it might make some good padding on ur resume but I wouldn’t suggest a degree in it for u. You could probably just take a couple classes that are more specific in what you actually want to learn then on ur resume put “experienced in auto cad”
Old 03-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Like Mike asked, what’s your end game? There are dozens of CAD programs and uses. Getting “CAD certified” on your own, for your own, you can do for free. If you want to “get back into it”, then determining what program(s) to focus on would be key to working with firms or other individuals. For example my daughter is an architect and she uses Revit by Autodesk. It’s one of the hot programs but all firms haven’t made the switch.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned it depends on your end game

You can start to experiment on your own by downloading SketchUp
https://www.sketchup.com/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgJA0vD_BwE

There is a free version and some paid Pro versions.

I have only ever used the free version for my personal remodel projects , shop projects , or 3D sketches for vendors etc. I have used it also for initial application for proposed construction projects with the county.

Note that below is only the tip of iceberg of what even the free version can do.... for example you do a 3D outside of building (like below) then zoom through a door or wall and view a complete interior in 3D

Proposed Shop Garage (this one is still a possibility for our new property)

Proposed Riding Arena (this was for our old property but sold the property before implementing it)

Sent this to the glass company when doing a bathroom remodel

Sent this to the studio monitor speaker mfg., for recommendation on which model speakers to purchase for my attic recording studio

This was the drawing I used for an additional top rack for my recording studio desk that I built .

Here it is in real life

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-06-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 AM

I have been using Autodesk Fusion 360 on a free "startup" license for about a year and a half. They have been revising it on-the-fly, so you basically learn new features as they are released rather than go to school to learn it.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 AM

" As mentioned it depends on your end game " true

And what skills you already posses .............?? big factor !
If you have a math degree and CAD skills, your good to start at 100k/yr.

Cad is a modern accepted method of communicating information via geometry.
Think of it as replacing drafting in your chosen work.

I have been in this game since 1968 and it has been very good to me
and all my contemporaries. Aerospace then, guitars now.

Machinist is the base skill i use to create things with CAD / CNC

Let's do the skills assessment for you. tell us more
Old 03-06-2019, 06:41 PM

Interior design conceptualizing I believe was your mentioned focus. I think that still has a very needy market. Moreover, if you have the chops to render mock-ups of the before and after for empty and/or furnished residences and commercial spaces you could easily find yourself busy bringing to life mind's eye images people have and would pay to see.

Another use: My neighbor can do that stuff and people know of his skills. A few have employed him to render changes to the exteriors of their homes they want to make. They then submit them to the HOA for approval. A single pictorial is worth a thousand words when trying to communicate visual imagery. `

I won't know exactly what you need to reach that skill set but I do know it isn't as hard as some of the music we try to learn. Like the man said, image is everything and the ability to render it can be profitable.

If you know what to do, go for it. I would also encourage you to get your own shingle out there ASAP. A few business cards in the hands of HOA directors and community ad media would be my 1st plan. All those house painters out there offering your services to homeowners who need visual conceptions of their homes with new schemes has to be an as-yet unheard of tool for decision making.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Interior design conceptualizing I believe was your mentioned focus. I think that still has a very needy market. Moreover, if you have the chops to render mock-ups of the before and after for empty and/or furnished residences and commercial spaces you could easily find yourself busy bringing to life mind's eye images people have and would pay to see.

Another use: My neighbor can do that stuff and people know of his skills. A few have employed him to render changes to the exteriors of their homes they want to make. They then submit them to the HOA for approval. A single pictorial is worth a thousand words when trying to communicate visual imagery. `

I won't know exactly what you need to reach that skill set but I do know it isn't as hard as some of the music we try to learn. Like the man said, image is everything and the ability to render it can be profitable.

If you know what to do, go for it. I would also encourage you to get your own shingle out there ASAP. A few business cards in the hands of HOA directors and community ad media would be my 1st plan. All those house painters out there offering your services to homeowners who need visual conceptions of their homes with new schemes has to be an as-yet unheard of tool for decision making.
Exactly, Joe. I'm envisioning on starting with interior design - particularly with regards to remodeling one of our bathrooms. My wife and I recently went to remodeling firm and they mocked up the job using computer graphics - and it was not very good. Not to slight the designer but I could do better.

25 years ago I was working in modeling software by Alias and rendering software by Pixar along with other software like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as well as a 3D animation program called StudioPro and Adobe Premiere. My degree was in Integrative Arts and I spent most of my senior year working in the architecture computer lab because their computers were more powerful than the graphic design lab's computers. After I graduated I spent close to $6K on my own computer with software and external media robust enough to produce the two projects that I did below for my portfolio:

So first things first, I'm going to do a mockup of my bathroom remodel; in the years since I've actually gotten more into being constructive IRL. I'll give Google SketchUp a whirl but I really need to look for something with a more robust rendering engine. I still have my old computer and software - and it works - but it's also long since obsolete.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Looks like there are some pretty amazing programs and I suggested SketchUp as a possible starter simply because it is free .

Here are some some software suggestions some of which look outstanding if a perhaps a more difficult learning curve . And it lists Pros and Cons

good luck

https://essenziale-hd.com/2019/01/30...igners-review/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 AM

You know that 10000 hour rule.

I have about 40000 hours of AutoCAD experience on AutoCAD platforms since 1991 when it ran on Windows DOS and I had to use a digitizer tablet.

I need to take a Revit class. That's where its at right now for the work I do.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM

I tried Sketchup. Man is it basic. The software I learned on was much more precise. Turns out the company that put it out was bought by Autodesk about 10-12 years ago.

I was remarking to my wife that a big part of the reason I couldn’t be lucrative as a freelance illustrator was because of the high overhead (especially software licenses,) technical limitations with regards to deliverables, networking via snail mail and corresponding with clients solely during business hours.

That has all changed significantly in the past 10 years. Now software licenses are subscription based (with frequent updates,) projects can now be shared via the cloud, I can promote via Instagram and apply for projects online, and people in general are available 24/7 via DM.

I do need to update my portfolio. I have been doing a lot of DIY renovations to my home. I am going to mock up my next one in Sketchup.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:35 PM

This is more the caliber of current design programs. And, what customer's want from a "certified" designer.

interiordesign.jpg
Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 AM

That’s what I’m thinking, PastorSteve. I imagine that a lot of those models are from a library or some kind of plugin that employs fractals to provide organization in chaos that many organic items seem to be. I even used to use a program called Bryce that used to create landscapes and atmospheric effects like haze and clouds in the sky.

A few of my projects (that I couldn’t find) employed the use of furniture and household items from a library - though the guitar above I TOTALLY did myself. These unfound projects were meant to depict my use of camera angles and lighting.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:13 PM

This little idea of mine seems to have taken a surprising turn.

For the past several days I've been playing around in SketchUp, Blender and a little program called "Real Home 3D." I have some mockups of our hallway bathroom in the last one that I was showing to my wife this morning. We talked of an upcoming consultation with an interior designer and looking up images on Houzz.

Well, my 12yo notices that I'm "playing" in an interface that's very similar to one of his online "sandbox" games (it's called Roblox if anyone's curious) and he starts asking me questions.

After awhile he asks to use the computer and because the Penguins were playing a day game I logged him on and thought nothing more of it. It's not uncommon of him to have marathon sessions where he "builds" minigames to share with his online friend group or build virtual roller coasters.

Much to my surprise, in about 10 minutes he had a mockup of our bathroom. Not scale, mind you but all the major details were there and he was intent on modeling the tub and sinks. He even put water in them - which really isn't that hard to do - and I commended him on his eye for detail. What really amazed me was that his "character" could walk around and interact with the environment he'd created.

LOL, no bear in mind that this is the bathroom that HE uses and I can barely get him to flush the toilet, pick up wet towels off the floor or keep from making a mess with toothpaste!

As I'm commending him I tell my wife that this was my intent to establish a career in this 25 years ago. Then she asks me "have you ever watched Property Brothers? This is what they do on their show."

...anyhoo, I was humbled but a bit hopeful for the future. I'm off to figure out how to work in Blender though. I'm more about specializing more in swapping out textures, setting up cameras for virtual walkthrough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic