The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Bose S1 Issue Test

I charged the Bose to 100 and out it away for four days and it’s gone down to 90% in the connect app.

I feel it’s normal for batteries to drain but does it sound like my S1 has the defect you have been discussing?
Old 02-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I only recently started using the Bose Connect app; it appears to me that the battery indicator is in 10% increments. In which case (just guessing here), once off of 100%, it would indicate 90%... may be at 98%, but I haven't seen that kind of breakdown.

With the unit I sent back, it went to 70% in two days, battery dead in about two weeks. I'd give it a few more days to see if it drops more.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I only recently started using the Bose Connect app; it appears to me that the battery indicator is in 10% increments. In which case (just guessing here), once off of 100%, it would indicate 90%... may be at 98%, but I haven't seen that kind of breakdown.

With the unit I sent back, it went to 70% in two days, battery dead in about two weeks. I'd give it a few more days to see if it drops more.
I'm trying to use the Bose Connect app but it doesn't want to work. I tried to check/update my firmware but that doesn't seem to work either. Anyone here have an older unit that successfully updated their firmware that can share how they got it done? I really want to test my unit to see if it's affected as I use my S1 on battery exclusively for live performance.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm trying to use the Bose Connect app but it doesn't want to work. I tried to check/update my firmware but that doesn't seem to work either. Anyone here have an older unit that successfully updated their firmware that can share how they got it done? I really want to test my unit to see if it's affected as I use my S1 on battery exclusively for live performance.
Hey, Scott. I downloaded the update here...

https://www.bose.com/en_us/l1_downloads.html

I had to use a USB cable to load the new firmware from my MacBook Pro to the S1. It is my understanding that future updates can be done via bluetooth, after that initial update.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM

Methos, try a different usb cable.
It’s been reported that some do not work even though the connectors fit.
(Maybe some are crossover cables instead of straight through? Dunno. Shades
of RS-232 and 300 baud modems memories...)

You have to get the firmware updated to get the Bose Connect app to work.

AeroUSA, Captain Jim is right on here. Might want to give it a few more days. Notice
that the circle seems to disappear in finer increments even though the number in
the middle moves in 10% jumps. So you can get an idea if you’re at 98% or more
like 92%. A couple more days will tell, too.

Cheers, _Roger
Old 02-28-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, guys. I figured it out after many trials and error. Got it updated and then couldn't get the app to connect until I shut off my smart watch then it updated. Took way too long for the whole evolution but up and running the test now. Took the amp off power and then played it for an hour or so. Checked and now at 90% so will leave off for a couple days and recheck and see what it's at and will report back then.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I didn't even know there's an app--What are the benefits of downloading it? Is it necessary?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:32 PM

I brought mine in July 2018 from Bestbuy. I finally got a chance to test it. I charged it up and left it unplugged for 8 days and today it still shows 100% on the app (the unit shows 4 flashes as well).

Guess I'm lucky that mine is ok. I've been thinking about buying a second but perhaps I should wait until it's confirmed that they've rectified the battery problem with the new ones they're selling.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM

The Bose Connect app is not required.

It does get you some additional functionality like the ability to stream to two S1s in either
mono or stereo. (Certain other Bose devices are supported, too.)
I believe it will allow over-the-air firmware updates once you have version 7.0.10 or later.

So the app is handy but not required.

Silverspur, the problem seems to be in some early units. I don’t believe this any reason to wait now. GAS on!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:12 PM

So this thread inspired me to try and update my firmware -As it was fully charged, I didn't plug in the speaker as suggested, and some way through the download a message appeared on the computer saying it had lost contact with the device, and sure enough, the light had gone off the S1 and now it won't turn on - Might I have damaged the battery/ the unit? Surely not plugging it in couldn't be that critical?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Oy!
Doubtful that you damaged the battery or the hardware.
But you may have scrambled the firmware if it’s only partially updated.
Should be recoverable but you’ll need help.

Did you connect the power cord and then turn it on? If not try that.
It’s not inconceivable that the battery got drained during update.
If it works with the power cord, retry the update from the beginning.
If it won’t turn on with the power cord you’ll need to call Bose customer service:
877 335-2673.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I did it when I first got my S1s and August and September of last year. It took a few tries. There was an update to the Bose connect app today so you might want to download that and give it another shot.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Oy!
Doubtful that you damaged the battery or the hardware.
But you may have scrambled the firmware if it’s only partially updated.
Should be recoverable but you’ll need help.

Did you connect the power cord and then turn it on? If not try that.
It’s not inconceivable that the battery got drained during update.
If it works with the power cord, retry the update from the beginning.
If it won’t turn on with the power cord you’ll need to call Bose customer service:
877 335-2673.
Yes I tried connecting and disconnecting it. Another odd thing is that the signal light on channel 1 stays orange even with the unit turned off and plugged out!
Could it possibly use the entire battery charge in an update? that seems incredible!
Old 03-01-2019, 07:22 AM

Mine held 90% for several days on my first test.

I charged it and unplugged it on Feb 26th. It's lost about 10% per day this week with no use.

This morning it's at 70%.

I'm going to continue these test, and am documenting dates and times. I have the ap and am hoping there might be a fix coming with a wireless update that won't require shipping, doing without, hooking to a computer, etc.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-01-2019, 07:34 AM

When I first got my new replacement S1, I charged it up and unplugged it. 4 days later I check it and it was at 90%.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification