The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think on this forum it may be pertinent to clarify if this spot was picked for you and Linda, or you and the Pernambuco L00...
If you are having trouble telling one from the other in my tale, stay tuned. Linda is more certain to be coming home with me from Memphis. . . I hope!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
If you are having trouble telling one from the other in my tale, stay tuned. Linda is more certain to be coming home with me from Memphis. . . I hope!
Ha , I certainly hope so on many levels...have a great trip.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday we left Santa Fe and headed south in the Turquoise Trail, route 14. Last night was in a rustic (run down) log cabin at the "Ponderosa Cabins" in Ruidoso, NM, which is the town that serves the adjacent ski area. The weather here this morning is pristine, which the morning paper suggests is not the case in Texas and Oklahoma, which we cannot avoid crossing. The storm is said to have a week more fury to vent, so we are going to have to deal with it. Fortunately, we shouldn't have to worry about tornados as we are NOT pulling a trailer.

Today we head down to the Carlsbad Caverns, one of the icon tourist spots of my youth.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM

It is part of my families folklore that one of my distant relatives discovered the Caverns or was one of the first to explore them....this from my Grandmother who I never knew to lie to me before...god rest her soul.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Default Carl's Bad

One of my favorite places. I have spent hundreds of hours (and days, too) exploring, mapping, and photographing one of the caves there.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 AM

Default LaCote tuners

Bruce,

Your guitar was the first i have seen with these style tuners in an actual build photo. I am having a flamenco negra built and saw this style of tuner on the Rogers site, any experience good or bad would be appreciated. I know yours was a steel string but your thoughts in general would be nice. Thanks for all the amazing build pictures and info that you share.

Jrw
Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minexploration View Post
Bruce,

Your guitar was the first i have seen with these style tuners in an actual build photo. I am having a flamenco negra built and saw this style of tuner on the Rogers site, any experience good or bad would be appreciated. I know yours was a steel string but your thoughts in general would be nice. Thanks for all the amazing build pictures and info that you share.

Jrw
The two things I remember about the LaCote tuners are that they made the headstock ridiculously fragile, and that I didn't charge nearly enough for the installation. I suspect I didn't charge anything extra past the cost of the tuners, and it ought to be something like $500. That do look pretty cool, if not entirely traditional.

I am in Abilene TX at the moment. We are about to embark on the slog across the storm, which does not show signs of abating at any point between now and the show. Is in doing the thunderstorm thing at the moment, having started, for us, about 2 hours ago.

We lingered in the southwest for far longer than we had originally intended, and it was truly great for us. Not to mention that the weather was nearly ideal. The previous two nights were spent camping in the desert at Guadlupe Mtn in one of the nicest semi primitive campsites it has been my pleasure to experience. I say my pleasure because it was a bit more primitive than Linda had hoped, having neither hot water nor showers (as the ranger at The Caverns had promised).

I think I mentioned that the reason I brought the pernambuco L00 was that I suspctd it would have an issue with the dryness in the southwest, and I wanted to subject it to trial by fire, as it were. If it didn't succumb to the low humidity thn I culd comfortably sell it for full price, and if it did, well the price would become relatively negotiable. I have been playing it every day and I anm going to hat to part with it when the time comes as it is "what we're talking about" when we talk about the best guitars around. As suspected, the price is going to be negotiable, but at least I won't have to wonder. It cracked in the upper bout of the back, and when it did it was so loud my wife heard it from across the campsite. The crack is in the slabiest part, right where we quartersawing fanatics say it will.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM

Default Thanks!

Bruce,

Thanks for your insite into the LaCote tuners. I will just get a normal set after hearing your thoughts.

Sorry to hear about the crack in your guitar. I am sure someone will still find a place in there home for a gorgeous instrument.

Thanks again,

Jrw
Old 05-29-2015, 09:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Weather being what it is, it changed, and we find ourselves in San Antonio after all! We are staying in the RiverWalk Best Western and tonight we did the barge tour and then ate at one of the tourist shark places. So so but what the heck. Very crowded but abit boring as everyone in sight is either a tourist or serving tourists. No rain in sight. Two days of this and we currently expect to head for New Orleans for more of the same, only different. Actually, tomorrow night we will have dinner with my sisters grown daughter, not seen since she was a kid, and her family whom I have never met at all.

We had thought we might get to visit the Kinnairds in Nacogdoches, east of Dallas, but we don't seem to be going that way at this point. That's OK, we'll see them in Memphis.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Weather being what it is, it changed, and we find ourselves in San Antonio after all! We are staying in the RiverWalk Best Western and tonight we did the barge tour and then ate at one of the tourist shark places. So so but what the heck. Very crowded but abit boring as everyone in sight is either a tourist or serving tourists. No rain in sight. Two days of this and we currently expect to head for New Orleans for more of the same, only different. Actually, tomorrow night we will have dinner with my sisters grown daughter, not seen since she was a kid, and her family whom I have never met at all.

We had thought we might get to visit the Kinnairds in Nacogdoches, east of Dallas, but we don't seem to be going that way at this point. That's OK, we'll see them in Memphis.
This is a good development, even if you did miss historic Nacogdoches, Groucho Marx's favorite Texas town, and famed for its Kinnairds.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Dinner with my long lost niece and her family went great. We ate at a hole in the wall edge of town BBQ joint which may have been called 2 Brothers Market. It's the kind of place you would never encounter w/o local inside knowledge.

Today we drove to Lafayette, LA, and had Cajundillas in a Sports Bar called Walk-up. Absolutely up my alley!
Old 05-31-2015, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like youre having a good trip - hopefully the show is as good for you as the vacation is!

But I gotta say - running out to the beach just aint the same without a stop in Petaluma! Looking forward to your return, and to the possible, but doubtful, return of that Pernambuco -
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am eating breakfast here in the Lafayette motel and a couple of straw hatted locals are having a conversation at high volume. When I talk to either of them I can understand them perfectly, but when they talk to each other I can't get a word of it. Truly a different corner of America!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Sounds like youre having a good trip - hopefully the show is as good for you as the vacation is!

But I gotta say - running out to the beach just aint the same without a stop in Petaluma! Looking forward to your return, and to the possible, but doubtful, return of that Pernambuco -
Tad, I am enjoying the P L00 so much I can't tell you. It is absolute magic for me. I am currently thinking of it as my new guitar, as if I could afford to have another guitar of this kind of quality.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sounds like a good time is being had by all. I envy your route, and the vistas of Bald Cypress trees standing guard in the swamps, and then those majestic Live Oaks festooned with Spanish Moss. But crossing the Atchafalaya swamp is its own challenge. (You are on I-10 by now?) Sorta like a moat protecting the entire region. Safe travels.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop