The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Default personal ear monitor vs. stage wedge monitor

Which one do you prefer and why.
Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 PM

Frankly, it depends a lot on the skills of the sound tech.

In-ears make it a lot easier to hear a unique monitor mix over the on-stage levels. When I use in-ear I only use it on one side. I have it mostly mixed for just my guitar (and the click track), and I use the other ear for everything else from stage levels.

The down-side to in-ear is that people tend to run them to hot. The sound techs know this because they see the levels slowly creeping up over the months and years. Most people using in-ears systems are making themselves deaf (no, I'm not joking).

Wireless in-ear systems are pretty expensive. Wired systems aren't as bad, but that's one more wire you're dragging around and tripping over.

But in-ears work best if everyone has a unique mix. If you're sharing a mix it's very hard to get it well balanced. This is where floor monitors work better. Everyone gets the same mix and are hearing the balanced mix rather than their own instrument/voice.

I do tend to prefer the in-ear monitors I have available currently, but I'm careful to use a simple mix and keep the levels as low as I can get away with.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc56 View Post
Frankly, it depends a lot on the skills of the sound tech. . .
I'd agree with one caveat: it depends entirely on the sound tech
With a less-than-perfect mix, I can always kick the floor monitor away from me in the middle of a song (if need be)
With the in-ear system, I'm stuck with whatever I'm given
(Besides, I have a heckuva time getting the in-ear to stay put comfortably, but that's probably just me. . .)
Old 10-25-2009, 08:31 PM

I agree with the other posts, and would add that, if vocals are involved, the potential benefit of IEMs is greater, IMO, although most folks find there is a learning curve to singing with IEMs.

Another IEM frequent benefit is fewer feedback problems, as you don't have the wedge sound reaching the vocal mics and acoustic guitar soundholes.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Thanks
The in-ear Avion system we have at church is great, and I prefer it to floor monitors. Our sound tech basically sends and even mix, all the channels at the same level, into the monitor system, and then each one of us creates our own monitor mix. Vocalists back the instruments off and turn up the other singers a bit so they can do harmonies, us guitar players generally turn up the guitars and the drums and back off the keyboards and vocals, etc.
Also, another advantage of in-ear monitors: A lot of churches let anyone, and I do mean anyone, sing vocals. It gives the other singers the opportunity to tune out a poor singer completely so it doesn't throw them off. (At the church I attend, the leader is not afraid to let someone know when it is a little beyond someone's talent to join in; but I've been to churches where they're just too nice to tell someone to sit down.)
Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Thanks
Hi Susan...
How about neither?

I am kind of old school, and as long as I can hear my own guitars, the other instruments, and my vocal, I trust the techs to nail the ''mix'' out front for blending. I work moderate to slightly aggressive stages and we fly the PA above and behind us so we don't require wedges.

Actually I can work with any system (and often do) and my least favorite are the in-ear, because I hear my own singing inside my head in addition to the earphones. Try singing with ear plugs in and you will immediately understand what I'm saying...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM

It depends ... ... on the performer, the musical style (acoustic vs electric band), the room, the budget, etc, etc. I play acoustic ... solo/duo/trio ... and use floor wedge monitors. I have a pair of Behringer B212A powered speakers that serve in that role. My mains are Mackie SRM450. I run 'em through a Carvin passive mixer. The mixer has four graphic equalizers ... so the house and monitor mixes can be EQ'd separate, on each channel if I need to. I have two monitor mixes available but usually just use one to both wedges besides the house mix. Rarely is feedback an issue (set up the gain structure correctly!). When it is I have a "Behringer Feedback Destroyer" (FBQ2496) that I've set up to dynamically catch it, and to quickly release the filter (usually it's that someone strayed too far from their position they had during a sound check).

For larger combos we can use wired in-ear monitors, off an ART HeadAmpPro. The main mix is fed from the PA to the HeadAmps primary input, and sub mixes are fed from each channel of the PA to the HeadAmps auxiliary inputs. In mono mode, this allows each performer to get enough "me" in the mix to suit.

Personally, I hate in-ear monitors. I'm a singer (as well as bassist, guitarist, etc) and having my ears plugged up changes how I hear myself. It also detaches me from the audience interaction. But others I play with love 'em. Each to his own.

Obviously, I prefer floor monitors. For the reason above, and because, to me, they sound "better" ... more like what the audience might be hearing.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM

If used properly, IEMs can sound better to the user and allow the FOH to be cleaned up. However, this is rarely done.

To do IEMs well cost a lot more than to do wedges well. Whether wired or wireless, the best way to go is some sort of custom molded unit for the actual earbuds. This will ensure proper fit and adequate comfort. Then there is EQ; each mix (wedge or IEM) SHOULD have it's own EQ available. Then consider audience and stage mics for picking up ambient sounds and helping the performer to not feel so isolated.

All those things add up (ambient mics, custom molded IEMs that can only be used by one performer, etc) without even considering going wireless or having a separate monitor console for stereo IEM mixes. But, when all implemented properly, they are wonderful for those on both sides of the mic.

Keep in mind that only using one ear in and one ear out is a sure fire way to cause hearing damage. Without getting technical, if you were to do so, the volume in the one ear that had the ear bud in would be significantly louder than it would ever have to be if you had both in. But of course, most people that use one in, one out don't have the benefit of ambient mics, a good stereo mix, and a monitor guy that can actually give a good mix.

Wedges are easy to implement, and usually less expensive in the long run, but they are still loudspeakers sharing a stage with microphones. You can EQ them and give everyone a great mix, but stage volume can still creep up to 90dBA (Slow) without drums adding to the fray.

Getting technical: In order for the FOH mix to have good clarity and punch, it needs to be 10dB or more above the volume coming off the stage. That could very easily put the FOH mix at 100dBA Slow (which is fine for 99% of shows out there, assuming it is EQ'd well). Keep in mind that in regards to perceived loudness, a 10dB increase is about twice as loud. So as loud as that 90dBA stage may sound, the FOH volume would have to be about twice that in order to get a good mix for the audience.

In the end, I prefer to use IEMs. BUT, only if they are done right. If that is not the case, I use nothing simply because stage monitors almost always have a negative effect on what the audience hears. And after all, that is who we want to have good sound, right? LOL
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Whippersnapper

If the tech is good, I'll take the wedge, even over an Aviom system, because I like to hear the room sounds as well. However, having the Aviom's idividual mixing capabilities is nice, and the newer models are packed with additional features. Sometimes when I play for church (not a pro tech) I'll take one of the earbuds out, leaving one in, so I can listen to the room (and the congregation singing) and the mix from my Aviom.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM

They make you deaf? I use em cause I already am hard hearing and I usually just use one because I seem disengaged to whats happening around me when both are in...I use them in church and without them my guitar gets lost in those monitors.(yea we have a not so good soundman) in fact its strange to me that everyone thinks they can run sound and truth is, few can. Again they say I say that cause I cant hear very good out of one ear from playing in the 60's with a 15" jenson horn from a Kustom amp blowing in my right ear, now you tell me I'm gonna lose my other ear....oh the woes of playing guitar. Great info I really didnt know. Thanks frank
Old 10-26-2009, 12:38 PM

i like both....i like using the in-ears for my hearing myself and the band....but i also like to have some wedges so that I can "feel" the sound...

I like both.

Matthew A. Klimis, P.A., Realtor
Anclote Key Realty, Inc.
www.anclotekeyrealty.com
Worship Leader
http://www.myspace.com/matthewklimis1
Old 10-26-2009, 05:23 PM

I've tried in ears and didn't like em. Our worship space is wedge shaped and the latency drives me nuts. I guess I'm old school too. As long as I can hear the drummer I'm good to go.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes View Post
Man, you're easy to please! I don't know if I've ever heard some say, "Can I get more drums in my monitor?

John
Me either, but my favorite soundman quote is: "Can I get more talent in the monitor?"
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Me either, but my favorite soundman quote is: "Can I get more talent in the monitor?"
HAHA!! That's funny. I was polishing my guitar one evening prior to practice and the sound guy piped up in my monitor and said "that's not going to make you play any better". You gotta love sound guys. We are blessed with a fabulous sound guy at church.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

When i`m with the full band i`m doing all i can to keep sound out. We are loud, too loud most of the time but the places we play want it this way. I`ve had hearing loss for years but the last couple of years with this band got the best of my right ear(my good one) and i also have inner ear trouble that makes things worse . I`m back to doing solo acoustic mostly but still do the full band thing some.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification