The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I was referring to accuracy. You are probably choosing the large diaphragm mics for vocals not because they are more accurate than the smaller ones (the probably aren't), you are likely choosing them because they flatter the voice, making it sound better than it actually is. Also, by starting my post with the clause, in theory, I was acknowledging that theory and practice don't necessarily match up.

Anyway I do have skepticism of a speaker system using full range drivers. So I'm very curious about how the BagAmp reproduces and disperses the higher frequencies.
Hi Herb...
I always choose mics which I hope make me sound better than I am, but I use large diaphragm mics on vocals (AKG-414 for tenor and soprano and Shure KSM-44 for baritones and altos) because I think large diaphragm mics just sound better on voice than medium or small diaphragm.

For me it is a pragmatic decision based on experimentation and experience not how flat or accurate they spec out. Same for speakers...I may be hoping for the same thing you are with the Bag Amp, as to how it handles vocals and guitar, or anything else amplified through it.

It might be a good upgrade for me as I move toward retirement and want something which is very small, and will serve me well in both small and medium sized playing venues without packing a large PA or amp in.

I'm fine with my UltraSound AG-50 for now, but it's over 4 years and a couple of hundred gigs old. It will need replacing down the line, so I have been looking for something to replace it with in the next year or so.

Rather than just swap old for new, I'm also looking at the new developments in technology. So I'm pretty fired up about a small rig that sounds pretty good, and can go in the back seat of our small car.

I don't like the Bose sound, find the Solo amp just OK, and don't like the Fender sound at all. If the Bag Amp outperform these, it might be the amp-o-choice for me regardless of how it specs on paper.

And I hope that it, like my large diaphragm mics, makes me sound better than I am!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Wonder how the BA handles keys and walking left hand bass??
Vocals: Better than the guitar sound, actually. Number one user compliment so far.

Keys/bass: You'll need the Sub. The BA alone is the perfect little PA set for guitar + vocals. But, you need the sub for anything producing strong fundamentals (or important sub-harmonics) below 65Hz.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Why must we always complicate things? For a low-cost solution, get a Fishman SoloAmp and you'll love it for its portabilty and its tone on both your vocals and guitar. Are there cheaper solutions? Yes! Are there more expensive solutions? That goes without saying.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Why must we always complicate things? For a low-cost solution, get a Fishman SoloAmp and you'll love it for its portabilty and its tone on both your vocals and guitar. Are there cheaper solutions? Yes! Are there more expensive solutions? That goes without saying.

Regards,

SpruceTop

FYI, I rejected the SoloAmp as unsuitable for my use...and this was about a year ago (or more), shortly after it's release.

On the other hand, the BagAmp (which I have been fortunate enough to demo prior to the boat arriving with scads of them) fits the bill perfectly for me, and for about $250-300 less dough.

I think the market is big enough for both products, although I also think that when the BA hits the shores of the U.S. and starts getting delivered, there is going to be some interesting activity...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Hope I get one to try soon... here boat... over here..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
FYI, I rejected the SoloAmp as unsuitable for my use...and this was about a year ago (or more), shortly after it's release.

On the other hand, the BagAmp (which I have been fortunate enough to demo prior to the boat arriving with scads of them) fits the bill perfectly for me, and for about $250-300 less dough.

I think the market is big enough for both products, although I also think that when the BA hits the shores of the U.S. and starts getting delivered, there is going to be some interesting activity...
With the Highlander PAMDI you intend to use with the BagAmp, it is actually more expensive than the SoloAmp.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
With the Highlander PAMDI you intend to use with the BagAmp, it is actually more expensive than the SoloAmp.
Hi sdsr...
I think the preamp is going to be used irregardless of which PA he uses, right?

Not sure how that factors into price...I use the same preamp/blenders for all my gigs regardless of PA, amp or combination of both.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Just curious as to what made the SoloAmp "unsuitable" and what makees the BagAmp "perfect"?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Just curious as to what made the SoloAmp "unsuitable" and what makees the BagAmp "perfect"?
The overall tone was a bit harsh for me, and in use, there was no way to have the SA behind me (for stage-monitor purposes, as with the Bose equipment) and at suitable volume for both myself and the audience. Way to loud on-stage when used at volume that would reach the audience.

The BagAmp is simply a better overall sound to my ears, and functions like the heavier/more-unwieldy Bose equipment when it comes to stage-monitoring *and* being able to reach the audience (without being far too loud on-stage).

I've commented on this several times on this forum, and the AG Mag. forum, as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Perhaps you didn't understand that this is the front-end gear that I would always use, regardless of what I was plugged into...including my previous testing with the SoloAmp, my use with Bose equipment, and anytime I would be on the road using any kind of house-PA system.

The front-end gear is a separate part of the equation.

I also tested the BA thoroughly using the Bose T1 as the sole front-end. It was no-contest when comparing the sound to the Highlander PAMDI and Dr. Scientist reverb...the PAMDI and Reverberator won, hands-down. The only benefit to the Bose T1 was the mixing board capabilities, with vocal mic channel, etc. I won't be keeping my Bose L1 Model II.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Anyone know if the BagAmp ship date is still October 20th? Also, the SoloAmp has an aux input that we connect our mixer can the BagAmp be used with an external mixer input?
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Anyone know if the BagAmp ship date is still October 20th? Also, the SoloAmp has an aux input that we connect our mixer can the BagAmp be used with an external mixer input?
I don't have a clue about ship-dates for the BagAmp gear...I heard that gear is supposed to be "on the boat," and that might or might not be correct.

The BagAmp, as designed mainly for a solo act, has two separate combo XLR/quarter-inch inputs. Either of these could take the output from a mixing board.

They are coming out with their own small mixing board (January '10, I think), and that might be worth looking at.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I don't have a clue about ship-dates for the BagAmp gear...I heard that gear is supposed to be "on the boat," and that might or might not be correct.

The BagAmp, as designed mainly for a solo act, has two separate combo XLR/quarter-inch inputs. Either of these could take the output from a mixing board.

They are coming out with their own small mixing board (January '10, I think), and that might be worth looking at.
I'm interested in that mixing board, too, which does though bring the cost up to the Soloamp level. That's why it should be the sound qualities that cinch the deal.

I've never used front-end gear but for those who do, does the Bagamp designers' idea of mounting their mixer on the mic stand make stage-sense as far as running cables in front of the performer? With the Soloamp, much of the same controls are behind you.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I'm interested in that mixing board, too, which does though bring the cost up to the Soloamp level. That's why it should be the sound qualities that cinch the deal.

I've never used front-end gear but for those who do, does the Bagamp designers' idea of mounting their mixer on the mic stand make stage-sense as far as running cables in front of the performer? With the Soloamp, much of the same controls are behind you.

I'm not sure I get your logic.

While the SoloAmp has a bit more flexibility with controls, the SA and BA both provide functional, self-contained controls on the unit itself. That is the primary use for a solo act. Guitar and vocal mic both plug into the front panels, and all the controls are there.

There is no functional difference between the the two if you are a solo act. Both have adequate controls for their intended functionality. Neither the SA or BA need an outboard mixer for solo-act purposes.

If one adds a small mixer (regardless of brand) in using a SA or BA, then the overall cost goes up by the price of the mixer...and the cost will still be less for the system using the BA, since the BA is of lower cost.

I certainly agree that most people, myself included, will make a choice based on the overall sound and use of the gear.

In regards to the location of a small mixing board, I tried using the Bose T1 mic-stand mount with the L1 Mod. II, and it was not very functional...I always have a stool or something next to me for capos, bottleneck-slides, etc...and generally my outboard gear will go there. However, the T1 is likely larger than what the BA mixer will be, and it might be feasible to have a sturdy and functional mic-stand mount arrangement. We'll find out, come January...

I have no idea whether or not the BagAmp mic-stand mount will appeal to me, or if their mixer will be attractive enough for me to use....

Old 10-15-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:

In regards to the location of a small mixing board, I tried using the Bose T1 mic-stand mount with the L1 Mod. II, and it was not very functional...I always have a stool or something next to me for capos, bottleneck-slides, etc...and generally my outboard gear will go there. However, the T1 is likely larger than what the BA mixer will be, and it might be feasible to have a sturdy and functional mic-stand mount arrangement. We'll find out, come January...

I have no idea whether or not the BagAmp mic-stand mount will appeal to me, or if their mixer will be attractive enough for me to use....
That's a good piece of info. Seeing the pics of a mixer on a stand in front on a mic stand with all those cables running everywhere made me wonder if it was worth the trade off of having the controls so handy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification