The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
We're talking about cheating. To varying degrees, this occurs all over society. It occurs in business... do we need to talk about Enron? It occurs in the military... in sports, in music, on our taxes, etc. Almost anywhere there is a top-dog prize or financial benefit, cheating occurs. Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.
Good post. I've seen a lot of education bashing with this news topic but it remains that education and the institutions are VERY important.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
We're talking about cheating. To varying degrees, this occurs all over society. It occurs in business... do we need to talk about Enron? It occurs in the military... in sports, in music, on our taxes, etc. Almost anywhere there is a top-dog prize or financial benefit, cheating occurs. Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.
Totally wrong .
The goal should be to eliminate it . When that is done , there will be no consequences to be dealt with .
Rationalizing it serves only to encourage it .
Old 03-18-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Totally wrong .
The goal should be to eliminate it . When that is done , there will be no consequences to be dealt with .
I'll need more explanation to understand you. Kerbie said "Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it or diminish its effects rather than to trash every institution in which it occurs.".

It's damaging to trash important institutions and correct to say we should eliminate or diminish the problem. We should not forget the institutions are full of ethical and hard working people - students and staff. We still have the hard working and honest kids doing things right. We still have faculty inspiring and educating the kids and benefitting us overall.

Not all the big money is stroking an ego or about sports. As an example I know, don't let the big money or pop news cycle overshadow the John and Tashia Morgridges of the world. There are more and they should be encouraged.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Totally wrong .
What is wrong, Otter? You've criticized me twice without bothering to be specific. I didn't rationalize it. As a matter of fact as imwjl pointed out, I even said, "society's task should be to eliminate it..." How on earth do you twist those words into my rationalizing it?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think this is spot-on Kerbie.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seems to me, society's task should be to eliminate it [cheating] or diminish its effects...
Quote:
The goal should be to eliminate it [cheating] . When that is done, there will be no consequences to be dealt with...
Seems like you guys will just have to agree to agree...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Seems like you guys will just have to agree to agree...
Ain't that the truth, RP...
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
What is wrong, Otter? You've criticized me twice without bothering to be specific. I didn't rationalize it. As a matter of fact as imwjl pointed out, I even said, "society's task should be to eliminate it..." How on earth do you twist those words into my rationalizing it?
Please look at your entire post . If you can't see the rationalizing , I can't be of any assistance .
Old 03-18-2019, 04:54 PM

I think this thread has had enough time. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic