The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 AM

I'd be interested in others settings for the GE-7 on the K&K. Someone mentioned pulling out lows at 200 Hz. My experience is that lower mids need to be removed, possibly at 400 or 800 Hz on the GE-7.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM

I have the GE7 as a backup. I also have the redeye and the K&K pure preamp. I have found that the GE7 seems to do a good job at taming the horrible baggs element pickup as well. I have a coupe of Gibsons that came with the element ... all the others have JJB 330s. It's great pedal to keep in your gig bag.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 AM

Funny how these things come around. 20 yrs ago
I started playing/gigging acoustic music again after
A 15 yr stint of rock,blues and country music.
I had a very passive pup and found the little boss
Eq did a bang up job. Evolution and gear aquisition
Syndrome got me to sell it because i myself
Obsoleted it..i wish i had kept it..
But i think something like the pure xlr is a better choice.
Mainly for the phantom power it uses and the xlr out.
The foot pedal is worthless in this application
Because your using it as an active pre/eq. So it is
On all the time. But i think it would be great to
Bring to open mike situations where you are at the
Mercy of the host to make a passiv kk sound good.
My gig rig is far above and beyond the ge7.
But also far above and beyond the KISS factor..
Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
I have the GE7 as a backup. I also have the redeye and the K&K pure preamp. I have found that the GE7 seems to do a good job at taming the horrible baggs element pickup as well. I have a coupe of Gibsons that came with the element ... all the others have JJB 330s. It's great pedal to keep in your gig bag.
How does the GE-7 alone compare with the kk pure preamp? I'm thinking about picking up a GE-7 and using instead of the kk pure preamp. The kk pre sounds good, but I prefer the form factor of a pedal.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrops View Post
How does the GE-7 alone compare with the kk pure preamp? I'm thinking about picking up a GE-7 and using instead of the kk pure preamp. The kk pre sounds good, but I prefer the form factor of a pedal.
Hi od

GE-7 has far more self-noise (often noticeable in the mix) especially as you boost the signal to reach line levels, and no input gain control. It's very comparable to the K&K Pure, except the K&K Pure has input gain, and internal adjustments for the tone so you don't bump/change it and the batteries last a lot longer.

When compared with a similarly priced Fishman Platinum Stage preamp, the Stage wins hands down - selectable/sweepable mids takes the place of three of the 7 controls on the GE-7. The bass cut (high pass) covers 2 more zones of the 7. Solid aluminum frame, and it fits in the pick drawer of any of my cases.

The Stage is $150, made of aluminum, has XLR out (full DI capability), adjustable boost (a hand switch), adjustable gain, automatic ground lift, simultaneous XLR/¼" output, selectable (by frequency) bass cut (high pass), phase control, selectable output set to either with tone adjustments, or pre-EQ, and it can be powered by phantom power from a board/amp.

It's a hidden gem in the single channel acoustic guitar/bass preamp market.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-08-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrops View Post
A modded GE7 is fantastic! The pure preamp is much better than a stock GE7.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 12-08-2018, 04:57 PM

Seems like a good solution. K&Ks tend to need a lot of attenuation in the midrange to avoid a 'boxy' sound...not on all guitars, but it does crop up. Personally I think this is at least partly because the K&Ks are very 'flat' acoustically and sound better with more of a smiley curve. I also think that there could be some phase interaction in the wood itself with the sensors that close together, that might boost apparent midrange or cancel out other frequencies.

On a couple of K&K-equipped guitars that I have (currently five of them with K&Ks), I've removed the center piezo pad and gotten good results...more balanced sounding EQ with less application of electronics, but little noticeable drop in level. This was particularly the case with my LL16-12...it was HELLA woofy sounding with all three sensors...removed the center one and it was exactly what it needed...sounds glorious!
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Boss GE-7 (7-band EQ) pedal great for K&K Pure Mini

Must be luck as I use 3 different GE-7’s on a pedalboard (guitar EQ, ukulele EQ, solo boost) and haven’t had a problem with noise. Watch now after posting this the problem will start, haha!

One thing that I do very specifically for this pedal is set the input level of the signal that I feed into it to -20dB. Per the manual, the circuitry of this pedal was designed for a nominal/ideal input of -20dB. Of course it will never be exact but I try to shoot in this range.

YMMV but to do this, I adjust gain stage just before it (in my signal chain this is my Shure wireless guitar unit) to just sit around -18dB to -22dB on average. You can use any mixer with input signal meter to test this.

Maybe give this a shot and see if it helps with noise?
Old 12-09-2018, 12:51 PM

I use a GE7 with a Redeye (put GE7 in effects loop) and I have never had any addition noise. (Stock pedal). I got rid of my KK belt preamp over the GE7. That and the Redeye play nice together. I use that combo along with a chorus pedal, reverb and delay. I have A K&K in one guitar and some Fishman UTS in others. Always get a great tone.
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuitar View Post
I use a GE7 with a Redeye (put GE7 in effects loop) and I have never had any addition noise. (Stock pedal). I got rid of my KK belt preamp over the GE7. That and the Redeye play nice together. I use that combo along with a chorus pedal, reverb and delay. I have A K&K in one guitar and some Fishman UTS in others. Always get a great tone.
Just wondering if you (or anyone else) have tested pairing the k&k pure preamp with a ge-7? was considering this kind of thing for a bit of a volume boost and some tone shaping for more intricate "lead" melody playing within a band environment.

Is the redeye a clear choice for you over the pure preamp?
Old 03-14-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarmaginn View Post
Just wondering if you (or anyone else) have tested pairing the k&k pure preamp with a ge-7? was considering this kind of thing for a bit of a volume boost and some tone shaping for more intricate "lead" melody playing within a band environment.

Is the redeye a clear choice for you over the pure preamp?
Yes for me. Red eye and GE7 work well. Haven’t used KK preamp in years.
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 11-13-2021, 06:41 PM

I have the LR Baggs Session Di, to solve the impedance problem I have with my K & K Pure Classic, do you recommend adding the BOSS G7? I used it before reaching my LR Baggs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification