The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
These days especially, it would be nice to get away from the constant political arguments, I can see that.
I am actually working on THESE DAYS right now, trying to get his finger style on this song down. It's quite excellent.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
You probably don’t like Steve Earle, Bob Dylan, David Crosby, Pete Seeger (RIP), etc., either.

Personally, I’m glad for Brown’s — and others’ — message 50 years ago and reminders now.
I think that's great. I do like all those guys and more, as long as they just play their music.
Call me cynical but to me the rest is "been there, done that, got the t-shirt,
moved on."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM

I saw JB about 4 yrs ago, (also saw him in the early 80's with full band), and he was touring with Sarah Watkins and her brother Shawn. He came out and sang harmony on a couple of her songs and Sarah and Shawn came out and supported him on a few of his songs.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

He has a casual style and doesn't appear to have a fixed set list. He even takes requests as long as the audience doesn't get too obnoxious. The concerts are intimate and you feel like you are listening to him play in your living room.

He didn't get political or preachy. I think most people that come to hear him know his political stance, and most people that have followed his career as dedicated fans probably align pretty closely with those same views.

He is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last 50 years. He is also an underrated guitar player. His songs tend to be introspective, so if your looking for a dance party you'll be disappointed.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I saw JB about 4 yrs ago, (also saw him in the early 80's with full band), and he was touring with Sarah Watkins and her brother Shawn. He came out and sang harmony on a couple of her songs and Sarah and Shawn came out and supported him on a few of his songs.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

He has a casual style and doesn't appear to have a fixed set list. He even takes requests as long as the audience doesn't get too obnoxious. The concerts are intimate and you feel like you are listening to him play in your living room.

He didn't get political or preachy. I think most people that come to hear him know his political stance, and most people that have followed his career as dedicated fans probably align pretty closely with those same views.

He is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last 50 years. He is also an underrated guitar player. His songs tend to be introspective, so if your looking for a dance party you'll be disappointed.
That was JB at his absolute best. That tour was the second time I had seen him and it was the far better of the two shows.

I don't recall him saying almost anything that could even be remotely viewed as incendiary or political. He was/is super dry and self-depricating and he tells some funny little stories, but, even knowing his lefty-lean, I don't really think I noticed him being overt in the least bit.

That tour with Sara and Sean and Val McCallum on lead guitar was an incredible show because of the sheer talent (don't know the rhythm section, but they were impeccable too).

I was lucky and got to go hang out with Jackson and the others after the show for like 2 hours. Val was pretty funny about how there is no set list and they would often do these huge rehearsals during soundcheck to play a bunch of stuff cuz JB just kinda wants to get a feel so he knows what might be good to pull out. But, as he's known to do with his large library, he also let us shout stuff at him all night and he'd go "oh, yeah...I have the guitar for that." then he'd walk to this rack of about 30 guitars, pick one out and come sit down and bust into the song. It was the furthest thing from boring as a fan of his and a fan of guitar.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I am actually working on THESE DAYS right now, trying to get his finger style on this song down. It's quite excellent.
Yep, great song, one of my favorites!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Default Yep

He knows his way around finger style, that's for sure.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
That was JB at his absolute best. That tour was the second time I had seen him and it was the far better of the two shows.

I don't recall him saying almost anything that could even be remotely viewed as incendiary or political. He was/is super dry and self-depricating and he tells some funny little stories, but, even knowing his lefty-lean, I don't really think I noticed him being overt in the least bit.

That tour with Sara and Sean and Val McCallum on lead guitar was an incredible show because of the sheer talent (don't know the rhythm section, but they were impeccable too).

I was lucky and got to go hang out with Jackson and the others after the show for like 2 hours. Val was pretty funny about how there is no set list and they would often do these huge rehearsals during soundcheck to play a bunch of stuff cuz JB just kinda wants to get a feel so he knows what might be good to pull out. But, as he's known to do with his large library, he also let us shout stuff at him all night and he'd go "oh, yeah...I have the guitar for that." then he'd walk to this rack of about 30 guitars, pick one out and come sit down and bust into the song. It was the furthest thing from boring as a fan of his and a fan of guitar.
Saw that tour as well, actually the only time I have ever seen JB, I thought it was fantastic.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

..fwiw..i’ve seen JB 3 times...1st time he was touring The Road...DAR Hall in D.C.....last time was on a triple bill with Keb Mo and Steve Earle more than a decade ago at the Cuthbert in Eugene OR....he never offered up political rhetoric during his performances....may be he is more outspoken these days...I dunno...I do know that few people express their ideals and personal feelings in song better than he does....i met him once...friendly guy...
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Ah yes....bring back the "Golden Bear" on highway one......
Old 02-20-2019, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

I've seen him a number of times and always look for the chance. His tone and songwriting are superb, he surrounds himself with some stellar players. You may have to put up with a politically motivated comment here and there but it's minimal and not the focus of his show. He's just passionate about his feelings on that stuff.

You don't have to agree with what he says. I'm just appreciative that we live in a country where everyone can say whatever they want w/o getting shot. Unfortunately some of his songs about the world as it was in the '70's and '80's are still relevant. But here is a new one about what he's feeling now with his current band. The second link shows what the song is really about. I need the sub-titles. I get the idea he's not really into Trump's wall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXzyU80DqFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApgUvSGZHQ0
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...

Last edited by Bluesdale; 02-20-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I first saw JB in 1975 or so. It might have been my first concert. Great show, and Phoebe Snow opened ("Poetry Man" was a big hit at the time).

I've seen him 7-8 times since, with his various bands and several times solo; either way is fine with me, I've always enjoyed them and don't remember him pontificating at all.

I saw him in KC about a month before the previous administration was elected the first time, and I feared that he might get political. But, other than one comment towards the end, he did not. It was fine.

He is engaged in many causes around the world, and supports those causes with his music and, I presume, his checkbook.

I got to talk to him backstage one night and he couldn't have been nicer. Low key and not the least bit impressed with himself. I told him about seeing him (at the same venue) way back in '75 and he got a kick out of that. At one point I looked at my watch and told him he was on in 3 minutes; he laughed, shook my hand, and ran off. Put on a heck of a good show that night, no politics at all. And his manager found us after the show and gave us a 8x10" tour glossy that was signed to my wife and myself which is hanging on the wall right behind me as I type this.

It's nice when artists you respect turn out to be good people. I've been around several who are complete jerks. JB is the complete pro, and a good guy. Darn good guitar player too.

I wish he'd come and play Red Rocks, I'd be there for sure. Saw him there a few years ago and it's the perfect venue for him.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

KenL,
I may have been at that same show in 1975 at the gym at Regis College. Are you from Denver? You mentioned Red Rocks so I thought maybe so. Keep your eyes and ears open b/c I've seen him there several times including last summer. He usually hits it every other year and I believe it to be one of his favorite venues.

I too got to meet him once backstage at Rocky Mountain Folks fest and he couldn't have been more humble and nice. Even when you get him talking about his guitar collection he drags around on tour. It's quite impressive.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 02-25-2019, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdale View Post
KenL,
I may have been at that same show in 1975 at the gym at Regis College. Are you from Denver? You mentioned Red Rocks so I thought maybe so. Keep your eyes and ears open b/c I've seen him there several times including last summer. He usually hits it every other year and I believe it to be one of his favorite venues.

I too got to meet him once backstage at Rocky Mountain Folks fest and he couldn't have been more humble and nice. Even when you get him talking about his guitar collection he drags around on tour. It's quite impressive.
Hi, Bluesdale,

Not the same venue in '75, but quite possibly the same tour. I grew up in the Omaha area, and have seen JB at the Music Hall and also at the Civic Auditorium when he did his big "Road and the Sky" tour. Also saw him at Pioneers Park in Lincoln on a hot and sultry summer's evening. More recently I've seen him a couple times at the Orpheum Theater in Omaha, which is a fantastic old theater.

As for Red Rocks, it was a few years back when he toured with just himself and David Lindley. Pretty cool show, but I'm afraid I was very tired from driving in from Omaha and kept dozing off (don't tell Mr. Browne!).

I now live about 2 hours west of Colorado Springs outside the little mountain town of BV. Elevation 8500 ft.

I'll have to check out this Rocky Mountain Folk Fest, don't know about that.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:13 PM

Default Memphis Show

I saw JB tonight in Memphis. I don't mind his politics one bit; I've paid to go to political fundraisers for the chance to meet him.

His show was spectacular. A real high point for me.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases