The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-24-2016, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Tom Sands - apprentice to Ervin Somogyi

Last year I ordered an OM and a 00 from Tom Sands, apprentice to Ervin Somogyi, and three weeks ago I took delivery of them. I was thrilled at both the incredible build quality and the breathtaking sound.

10 days ago I went to a guitar gathering of friends (all of whom have extensive experience of owning and commissioning high end guitars) all of whom played the guitars. And the feedback was, as I expected, great.

A couple of people said that one of them was the best guitar they had ever played. High praise indeed.

So, mulling it over, I have decided to order another. Tom has selected some lovely quilted sapele for the back and sides...but I have a dilemma.

What should I get?

I figured that an MD would be good, but to be honest I find them a bit big and clumsy (even with a wedge and a cutaway) so I want something smaller.

One option could be a smaller MD. There has been quite a bit of coverage of the new guitar being made by my friend Jason Kostal for my friend Michael Watts and Tom could make me something like that (apparently Ervin has been making a smaller MD for the Japanese market for a while and Tom could perhaps use the mould for that)...but I keep getting drawn back to my OM. It is simply unbelievably good.

So, what does everyone think? Would an OM in Sapele be too close to an OM in Wenge? Would I be better off with a small MD as opposed to another OM?
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...

Last edited by Adamski; 07-24-2016 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Typos!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:42 PM

Sapele is a cool wood. I'm intrigued by this smaller MD though, can you point to any examples of it?
Old 07-24-2016, 10:52 PM

What has Tom said about the comparison? I don't think Mr. Sands is building guitars based on consensus!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEmanuele View Post
Sapele is a cool wood. I'm intrigued by this smaller MD though, can you point to any examples of it?
I know that Jason Kostal is currently building one for Michael Watts, and I know that Ervin Somogyi has built a number for the Japanese market...but other then that, I know very little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
What has Tom said about the comparison? I don't think Mr. Sands is building guitars based on consensus!
No, in fact I want him to build what he wants to build...but the OM he made me is so breathtakingly good I kind of want another one!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 07-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Website?

Does Tom have a website yet? If you don't mind me asking, what does he charge?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
So, what does everyone think? Would an OM in Sapele be too close to an OM in Wenge? Would I be better off with a small MD as opposed to another OM?
I've never played a guitar by Tom Sands -- but based on my experience with Ray Kraut's guitars I don't feel there's that dramatic of a difference between an OM and an MD with the same tonewoods.

Of course it depends on how you perceive sound and how you play but for my own style I didn't feel like the MD sounded that much different. What I do like about larger guitars is the deeper "breath" so if I were to order an MD, I'd want the "big one".

Otherwise I own three SJs with different tonewoods and I'm very happy with them. Using a different top wood would certainly bring the most dramatic difference.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I've never played a guitar by Tom Sands -- but based on my experience with Ray Kraut's guitars I don't feel there's that dramatic of a difference between an OM and an MD with the same tonewoods.

Of course it depends on how you perceive sound and how you play but for my own style I didn't feel like the MD sounded that much different. What I do like about larger guitars is the deeper "breath" so if I were to order an MD, I'd want the "big one".

Otherwise I own three SJs with different tonewoods and I'm very happy with them. Using a different top wood would certainly bring the most dramatic difference.
Thanks Joe, that's very helpful.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

You should discuss with Tom or measure what he means by an "OM"? Many of Ervin and his apprentices create guitars called Orchestra Models that are longer, wider and deeper than a traditional Martin OM. You might be fine with that instead of ModD which also is an even larger guitar. Here is a quick size comparison below:

------------"Somogyista" OM---Olson SJ---Martin OM-----
Body Length -------19-1/2"------19-3/8"------19-3/8"------
Lower Bout --------15-9/16"-----15-1/8"-------15"----------
End Depth ----------4-1/2"--------4-5/8"-------4-1/8"------

Good Luck...
Old 07-26-2016, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
...but I have a dilemma.

What should I get?
Hmm, I now have the same dilemma...

It'll either be the OM or the 'full fat' MD though, and I'm leaning heavily towards the MD.

I may be bugging you for another play of your OO and OM to help me try to triangulate...

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
Hmm, I now have the same dilemma...

It'll either be the OM or the 'full fat' MD though, and I'm leaning heavily towards the MD.

I may be bugging you for another play of your OO and OM to help me try to triangulate...

Cheers,
David
Mate, you are welcome to play them as often and for as long as you want.

Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-26-2016, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
You should discuss with Tom or measure what he means by an "OM"? Many of Ervin and his apprentices create guitars called Orchestra Models that are longer, wider and deeper than a traditional Martin OM. You might be fine with that instead of ModD which also is an even larger guitar. Here is a quick size comparison below:

------------"Somogyista" OM---Olson SJ---Martin OM-----
Body Length -------19-1/2"------19-3/8"------19-3/8"------
Lower Bout --------15-9/16"-----15-1/8"-------15"----------
End Depth ----------4-1/2"--------4-5/8"-------4-1/8"------

Good Luck...
Yes...I have one already, so I know exactly the size! 😀
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-26-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Using a different top wood would certainly bring the most dramatic difference.
Mau speaks the truth: What about a cedar or redwood top?

You have two fabulous guitars in the OM and 00 and another spruce top and miscellaneous B+S will likely be similar.

Really looking forward to playing those Sands when we next meet for a beer. I have a couple of pals who want to het their grubby hands on them also.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Mau speaks the truth: What about a cedar or redwood top?

You have two fabulous guitars in the OM and 00 and another spruce top and miscellaneous B+S will likely be similar.

Really looking forward to playing those Sands when we next meet for a beer. I have a couple of pals who want to het their grubby hands on them also.

Cheers,
Steve
I know what you're saying, but the two of them are very different...and the difference is getting bigger every day.

Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop