The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Default Soundhole Pickup for Martin D-35

I'm looking to upgrade my soundhole pickup (currently a "Dean Markley ProMag Grand - Humbucking"; which I just don't find satisfactory) for my D-35 (2008). My amp is a Roland AC90, which I use at home and for the smaller venues which I play.

I find the ProMag is too large and has to be placed in the middle of the soundhole and occasionally interfers with my thumbpick.

I have seen Fishman pickups that are contoured and fit in the upper part of the soundhole, pretty much out of the way. I thought this might be a good way to go. I don't want to have a permanently installed pickup on this instrument.

I also thought an active pickup would be better (than a passive one) with amplifier I use.

Before I spend the $140+ on a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker, I wanted to ask forum members with a lot more experience than I have, for suggestions.

Thanks,

Ray

EDIT: As soon as I posted this I saw the thread on soundhole pickups .... don't know how I missed it before .... sorry! I would have deleted it, but don't know how to do so.

Last edited by Ray B; 10-28-2009 at 02:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification