The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Good device for recording impromptu music ideas?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good little recording device that could be used for just recording ideas for new music? I need something I can just use to record me playing a guitar or singing a melody line, etc. Here is the criteria.

price: $100-200
lightweight and small in size

It doesn't have to have a direct instrument input or anything. I've been looking at a Zoom H2 but am curious as to what else is out there.
Any ideas?
Epiphone EJ-200 (2015)
Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 AM

Hi ,i have just purchased a gismo which is slightly over the budget you have .Its a BOSS digital recording studio i got off a dealer on ebay ( i know but i securely vetted and was totaly at easy with this trader ) It was £159 pound and although used came with 3 month no quible return policy .I have to say it is the most complete and portable thing i have ever purchased no bigger than laptop size .the page isnt big enough to list all this thing can do .( and the added thing is that it is as easy to use as a standard tape recorder .
Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 AM

Check out the Boss MicroBR, very handy little gadget, very compact and easy to use. I have one and am very happy with it.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:53 AM

It's hard to beat the H2. I have one, and use it VERY often. The four mic capsules are great ... set it in the middle of jam, and it'll pick up everything in the circle. The mic quality (and hence the sound) is remarkably good for such an inexpensive unit. Records to WAV or MP3, in many resolutions. If it ever went missing I'd replace it with another.

I use a Boss BR600 for multitrack recording, and like that, too. Decent built-in mics, but I use a mixer and lineouts to the unit. Easy to use, decent sound. Portable, but not pocket-able like the H2.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:16 AM

+1 on the H2. For something larger, the Boss BR-600 is fantastic. I have both and use them everyday.

The BR-600 and BR Micro offer multi tracks. The H2 can be used a USB Mic right into the computer. All work very well.

JackL
Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 AM

Another vote for the H2. Battery powered and if you buy a larger SD card, you can record for hours. It uses AA's (as well as has an AC adaptor) so the battery budget is reasonable, too. I've been amazed at the fidelity for such an inexpensive unit, and set it up to record with all four mics and had a wonderful record of a jam at the house with even those in the back coming in clear as a bell. There's a mic stand adaptor in case you want to use it standing up, or put it above the music. The unit also fits an a standard camera tripod as well.

Keeping GAS in check:
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got
Sheryl Crow & Jeff Trott-Soak Up The Sun
Old 10-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Out of curiosity the one i got was a Boss 864 .The one i first looked at was the one that you all mention ( The Br600 ) but it was another £100 ( £250.00 total ) .The thing that made me leave the shop just before he rang it through the till was that he flippantly said oh you will need a mains adapter ( i said its ok i have have a multi use one ) he said no way you can use anything else than a Boss one ( all warrenty void if you use anything else ) .Ok i say give me one .£25.00 he says .................

cutting the story short i left the shop empty handed and purchased the one i mentioned for 100 pounds less .

The thought of spending £250 ( 15 Dallars is 10 pounds ) and then being asked for £25 for to be able to use it infuriated me .

So my question is what does the br600 do that the br864 doesnt .

coz i just see a newer production of the same thing
Old 10-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks...
Another Zoom H2 fan---hard to beat price, easy use, features and quality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Perhaps this suggestion misses the focus of the original post, but I just read a review of a device that converts your iPod into a portable studio. The device is made by Belkin and it's called, "GoStudio". The GoStudio has a dock for the iPod and then controls the inputs (2 x built-in condensor mics, 2 x 3.5mm mic inputs and 2 x Neutric 1/4" & XLR combo inputs).

Here's a link to a video review at Acoustic Guitar Magazine's website: http://www.acousticguitar.com/video/...3/Belkin_AG193

Kind of cool, if you have an iPod.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Whoa...double post...never did that before. Sorry about that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification