The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-14-2023, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Default The Rolling Stones 1964 ...

... and here they are channeling a mixture of country and blues on The Red Skelton Show. RIP Brian Jones (you made it raw, Bro) & Charlie Watts. Has anyone else besides me noticed that Charlie and bassist Bill Wyman always seemed like the adults in The Rolling Stones room?

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-14-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2023, 02:11 PM

It took years before Bill admitted he was 5 years older than the others.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-14-2023, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I knew the Stones the year earlier - 1963 - when they had a residency on Eel Pie Island.
I'd cycle from school on Wednesdays to the little bridge to the island and await their rusty VW van, to help them unload, and help Charlie take his drums to the hotel. He was my mentor as a drummer, and Mick and Keith were evangelists for what we then called "R&B". Good blokes all.
Old 10-14-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
... and here they are channeling a mixture of country and blues on The Red Skelton Show. RIP Brian Jones (you made it raw, Bro) & Charlie Watts. Has anyone else besides me noticed that Charlie and bassist Bill Wyman always seemed like the adults in The Rolling Stones room?

Thanks for sharing that, I really enjoyed it!!
Old 10-14-2023, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

No mics, no cables from the guitars or bass. Hmmm, a little Milli Vanilli action from one of my favorite bands? It was a good record, though. And they for sure played and sang it in their concerts. But, TV, particularly in those days, lip syncing was probably the rule, not the exception.

-Ray
Old 10-14-2023, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I knew the Stones the year earlier - 1963 - when they had a residency on Eel Pie Island.
I'd cycle from school on Wednesdays to the little bridge to the island and await their rusty VW van, to help them unload, and help Charlie take his drums to the hotel. He was my mentor as a drummer, and Mick and Keith were evangelists for what we then called "R&B". Good blokes all.
Andy, thanks again for your first-hand insight into contact with British bands that were and are loved on both sides of the Atlantic and around the globe!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-15-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
You should write a song about that brush with Rock immortality. Call it Eel Pie Island Blues. Mind you, I'd be dining out on wee story that forever (of course, embroidering the story to my heart's content

I've had no musical Forest Gump moments, at least not that I can recall just now, but my wife had the chance to sing with the Corries (who were big in Scotland back in the day) and was too shy to get up and do it. There slams shut that sliding door!

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 10-15-2023, 11:11 AM

Default The Rolling Stones 1965

Old 10-15-2023, 12:00 PM
Guitar Gourmet

That was the year they were chasing a female friend of mine around the UK.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-03-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
On a visit to the old country this October we stopped off at the Eel Pie Island Museum in Twickenham. Well worth a visit, lots of memorabilia and the two ladies running it it were a joy. We crossed over the river on the much improved little bridge.
Old 11-04-2023, 10:04 AM

Love that clip. Bill is holding his "bass like Bill Wyman" as the Smithereens song later described it. Jagger, Richards, and Jones look so young, as someone noted upthread, the rhythm section looks more grown up.

Richard's solo on that song is a nice piece of work. Is he playing an Epiphone? The clip is so grainy/blurred I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it may have those "NY pickups."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN