The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2020, 05:47 PM

I really like my s1 pro, especially with a preamp. That being said, it would not work with any electric band I've ever played in. But like mentioned above, I don't think that is within the scope of what it is designed to do.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 PM

We aren’t really playing full on rock. More like Americana. But we have also played outdoors for 30-40 and had lots of headroom. I would think much more than that would require more gear.

Have used the pair of S-1s WITH the classic L-1 tower with a sub and now that was nice, but a different story.

After I received a lesson in gain staging, (and was able to actually understand it) I can get plenty of volume with no distortion. I am a satisfied Bose user (multiple products) but I am sure there are other brands I would be happy with.

As a aside....I am positive that some of the gear I have bought in the past and hated it was easily possible that I may have not known what I was doing. Well, OK, I am sure it was.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:49 PM

Once again, unless you can’t physically lift a certain weight limit, absolutely need battery power, or unless you are just emotionally attached to a brand name like bose, why would you not just get a single QSC K8.2 for $650 with a free $70 gig bag?

It is 27 lbs and has 128db max spl - you are really nickle and diming the weight vs performance it makes no sense to me. Again if not capable I understand, but if not hit the gym what’s 10lbs difference. Also, why not save some money and get a QSC CP8 it is 25 lbs and 125db max spl $400 with a free $70 gigbag?

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-19-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Not necessary
Old 11-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Once again, unless you can’t physically lift a certain weight limit, absolutely need battery power, or unless you are just emotionally attached to a brand name like bose, why would you not just get a single QSC K8.2 for $650 with a free $70 gig bag?

It is 27 lbs and has 128db max spl - you are really nickle and diming the weight vs performance it makes no sense to me. Again if not capable I understand, but if not hit the gym what’s 10lbs difference. Also, why not save some money and get a QSC CP8 it is 25 lbs and 125db max spl $400 with a free $70 gigbag?
I will definitely look into these more as well. Thank you

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-19-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I don't think anyone cares if you talk bad about Bose, as long as it doesn't become an unending rant. You don't like it - OK. You have what you like - OK. But, looking at all the different gear on the market, not everyone will, or should, agree with you. And, that's OK, too. No one wants to see it turn into a Junior High playground argument: my Dad can take your Dad.

I have an L1c and an S1; they do want I want and expect from them, and have, long-term. I have some other gear, too. If I buy something that doesn't work for me, I find a new home for it. Sometimes, "enough" really is enough. That goes for equipment and opinions. If it seems that you are offending someone with your opinion of any particular gear, it may be the way you are presenting it or the repetition. "Hot words" like "people don't like it when you talk about about (insert brand here)" or "money talks" or "Don't believe everything you read!" can come across as more know-it-all than helpful.

Yes, I am trying to be helpful. I've been alive long enough to have seen the cool bands of the 60s and 70s, played a lot of music myself, and have tried/used a bunch of equipment over the years. I know what works for me. And, I understand that my opinions don't always align with all others. It is possible to recommend something without putting down an alternative.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-19-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Again if not capable I understand, but if not hit the gym what’s 10lbs difference.
We get it. You don't like Bose. Many of us do. The OP asked about Bose and we gave him our opinions in a positive and polite manner.

Instead of just coming in and giving your reasons why you don't, you lace your comments with negative insinuations about people's intelligence.

And now apparently their physical abilities and/or fitness. And you're surprised you were reported? I'm not. Re-read the rules.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-19-2020 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:09 AM

As a side note, I've been amazed at how much use I've gotten from my s1 pro outside of gigging. During covid, a group of neighbors have been getting together to watch our city's soccer team play. Large screen projector and my S1 in a big parking lot, socially distanced. Sounds great with 90 degree coverage. Same thing for the political debates. At a meditation retreat in the middle of nowhere to make announcements. At the pool to play music from my phone. So may uses for the thing outside of gigging. It's one of my most used pieces of gear outside of my guitars.

PS - I go to the gym (or workout at home since covid) and I'm still really glad it's not 10 lbs heavier.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:09 AM

OP here. Im going to go with the bose S1 pro. Because of all the love it gets here and the great reviews. Also because its battery operated if I wish and very light and compact. I can use it as my amp/PA for acoustic shows and also as a nice monitor for my full band shows. A 2 in 1 type of deal. Thank you to everybody for the information and opinions. Much appreciated
Old 11-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Another reason for embracing a dual, small powered speaker modular system (whether it's the Bose S1 Pro or another, similar system) is the ability to use the two speakers in multiple configurations. One feature of the S1 is that the speaker automatically changes it's internal EQ based on the position of the speaker. I have used my two S1 Pro's in a number of configurations with varying results including:

Single speaker

1. On a pole, directly behind and between us. (Most common, sounds great but can be too loud if venue requires greater volume.)
2. Upright on a chair or other surface, usually a little off to the side and even with or slightly behind us. (Second most common and great sound.)
3. Tilted back on the floor. (Rarely used, low end feedback quite common in this position, possibly from internal auto EQ.)

Dual speaker

1. One speaker on the floor in front of us on it's side tilted back in monitor position (primary), second speaker on pole out front (slave). (Commonly used in large indoor or outdoor venues where very loud volumes needed so must have speaker out front while still being able to hear ourselves.)
2. Both speakers on the pole with dual pole mount adapter, usually out front but sometimes behind us depending on volume needs. (Used when maximum sound dispersion is required. Speakers can be rotated in any direction to achieve needed coverage up to and including 360 degrees.)
3. Remote wireless coverage - single primary speaker in one of the above configurations, second speaker located in a different room and connected via a simple guitar wireless system. (Wireless distance constraints apply but we have used this in smaller eating venues that have multiple rooms so people not in the direct line of sight can enjoy the music. Venue hosts tend to love this option.)

So in summary, while a one-and-done system like the EAE with the built in mixer or similar is great, adopting a dual speaker and mixer system can provide a multitude of options for use as well as convenient backup. Of course any similar, small speaker/amp system with pole mount would work. One of my reviews of the dual Bose S1 Pro setup was detailed in a video that I'll provide a direct link to here:

NAD: 2 Bose S1, dual speaker stand video demo & review - Post outdoor-gig update
Old 11-19-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
OP here. Im going to go with the bose S1 pro. Because of all the love it gets here and the great reviews. Also because its battery operated if I wish and very light and compact. I can use it as my amp/PA for acoustic shows and also as a nice monitor for my full band shows. A 2 in 1 type of deal. Thank you to everybody for the information and opinions. Much appreciated
You have chosen well, young padawan learner!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
You have chosen well, young padawan learner!
Would it be more beneficial to buy 2 in your opinion?
Old 11-19-2020, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you have immediate need for two them maybe. But I'd probably just get one and make sure it's to your liking. Bose isn't known for giving 'deals' of any kind so it's not like you get a price break for buying two.

I'd get the one and play around with that then add a preamp or mixer and play some more. There's not much mystery to the S1 itself. Minimal onboard EQ and settings so the learning curve is very shallow and quick.

Assuming you like what you hear buy a second one. You might find one is enough.

Then again if money is no object and you want to jump in with both feet, go for it. You might look around and find a used one or even a pair for a deal.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I did manage to buy 2 S1s, used, and am really enjoying them. I have found a problem using them together, with one as a slave to the second - I run into feedback and phase problems following the Bose recommended technique of using the line out on one to feed the second. Its not a problem using separate outs from my preamp pedal, but I didn’t want to run 2 long cables to the 2 speakers when they are set up only a couple feet apart. A friend took a small kit box, and installed 3 ¼” female jacks wired together, and I strapped that to my speaker stand. From it I run a short ¼” cable to each speaker, and my guitar cable into the 3rd jack, and I get a much better audio from the speakers, and can turn them up without any feedback/phasing issues. Now, I can run my passive pickup straight in, but usually run into a preamp of some kind, and then out to the box - I can boost the output much more -

I was surprised at how hard it was to find a FxFxF splitter - no one seems to make one, so it was nice to have a friend who could put it together in no time -
Old 11-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You've chosen a great PA option but the wrong forum to ask whether you should buy more gear! The answer is always 'yes' as we're happy to spend other people's money here at the AGF.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
You've chosen a great PA option but the wrong forum to ask whether you should buy more gear! The answer is always 'yes' as we're happy to spend other people's money here at the AGF.
lol. I bought the Bose S1 pro and can say that I am very happy with it so far. Ive been playing it at home the last few days and think it sounds great with my Taylor 914ce. I do however keep the tone switch off from the channel that matches the guitar, I find that if I use the guitar tone match it gets ice picky and bright. I feel that I get a better bolder sound with the tone match off. i havent tried it with vocals yet and guitar both, but I do have a small alto 6 channel board I will be using with it to help boost it some more as recommended. im happy so far. How do you guys EQ your bose s1 pro for guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification