The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
It would be ideal if you could spend time at an accomplished Tonedexter users’ home to hear how it sounds...
I actually had that in the works with a ToneDexter user who's friendly with one of the developers (not James, another guy) but then Covid intervened. I imagine that around June or so I'll turn up at his house with an "I Vaxed" sticker on my shirt and we can actually do it.

Couch Standards
Old 11-20-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I actually had that in the works with a ToneDexter user who's friendly with one of the developers (not James, another guy) but then Covid intervened. I imagine that around June or so I'll turn up at his house with an "I Vaxed" sticker on my shirt and we can actually do it.

I was talking about all that stuff on the phone at Xmas to a guy I was in a band with years and years ago....and we were going to plug in to his PA in the country and give it all a loud test run...I intended to use my Tonedexter run to my Boss VE8 and stereo out to 2 channels - my little bubble with headphones or in-ears - can make a loop and go out front a way to listen, adjust, re-loop. Save settings. Take notes!

And then the virus hit! Game over.

BluesKing777.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
And once we get to that point in the covid saga, you'd certainly be welcome here at the lab in northern CA, Brent.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
And once we get to that point in the covid saga, you'd certainly be welcome here at the lab in northern CA, Brent.
That could happen!

Couch Standards
Old 11-21-2020, 08:06 AM

The reason I sold my TD was that it sounded less clear through a PA than a pickup itself (a K&K).
I liked the Tonedexter tone through my headphones though.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
The reason I sold my TD was that it sounded less clear through a PA than a pickup itself (a K&K).
I liked the Tonedexter tone through my headphones though.

Here is a good example here

In the intro, we really hear the plasticy attack of the piezo pickup, that sounds not natural when the guitar is alone. As soon as the band joins in, nobody cares anymore, and one could notice that this "piezo attack" helps cutting through because the acoustic guitar has almost only a percusive role

Although IR greatly improves a "strumming" sound greatly, making it more "natural", it might not always be the best in a band context, in which "unatural" can be an asset.

Note: The blend pot is there to help you tune the best compromise.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-21-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Here is a good example here

In the intro, we really hear the plasticy attack of the piezo pickup, that sounds not natural when the guitar is alone. As soon as the band joins in, nobody cares anymore, and one could notice that this "piezo attack" helps cutting through because the acoustic guitar has almost only a percusive role

Although IR greatly improves a "strumming" sound greatly, making it more "natural", it might not always be the best in a band context, in which "unatural" can be an asset.

Note: The blend pot is there to help you tune the best compromise.

my 2 cents,
Cuki

That intro piezo sound has been around so long that people like it! I would give it away and go learn bagpipes. I have seen a duo that played all night at a function like that sound - 2 of them, all night, happy as. I ground a layer off my teeth forced to hear it.

The key to Tonedexter and Aura live and loud through PA and speakers is to not have much in the blend....15% max. You must have a nice pickup for this approach. Just ON to get the little quack out.

Personal use of Tonedexter and Aura through headphones for practice and quick recordings, wind the percentage to 35% perhaps. Get the quack out.

BluesKing777.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schinckley View Post
In addition to this, there was always something slightly distant and hollow about any WaveMap I created.
That 'hollow' sound is a red flag for me. Whenever I get a wavemap that has that tone, I know I've positioned the mike in the wrong place, or moved during the training.

I dump it and start again.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM

After much thought, my new setup (having sold my Tonedexter) will be this:

A small "accessory boom" from On Stage Stands attached to my vocal mic stand:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ide-mount-boom

A Shure Beta 56A dynamic mic attached to the accessory boom:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tom-microphone

A small mic stand shelf
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ory-tray-small

An Elite Acoustics four channel mixer sitting on the shelf blending the mic and my K&K pickup
http://www.eliteacoustics.com/portfo...xer-pedal-2-2/

I've blended a bunch of different mics with my K&K using a regular "big" mixer into my Yamaha PA, and this one should work great. I actually like the slightly lower fidelity and ease of setup that the supercardioid dynamic mic brings.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 11-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:01 PM

Boy, that sure seems like a lot of moving parts to replace one really good pedal. By the way, I have one of those shelves and the bearing plate that presses against the stand broke after about a month.

To give you the benefit of the doubt, I am thinking you have either much higher standards than I do, or a lot more patience and a wandering heart, always restlessly searching for the better way...

But good luck with it.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-26-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
After much thought, my new setup (having sold my Tonedexter) will be this:

A small "accessory boom" from On Stage Stands attached to my vocal mic stand:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ide-mount-boom

A Shure Beta 56A dynamic mic attached to the accessory boom:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tom-microphone

A small mic stand shelf
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ory-tray-small

An Elite Acoustics four channel mixer sitting on the shelf blending the mic and my K&K pickup
http://www.eliteacoustics.com/portfo...xer-pedal-2-2/

I've blended a bunch of different mics with my K&K using a regular "big" mixer into my Yamaha PA, and this one should work great. I actually like the slightly lower fidelity and ease of setup that the supercardioid dynamic mic brings.
Have you tried a Felix? By far the best sound and most powerful EQ that I’ve ever encountered. I’ve been blending a condenser mic with the Anthem SL on my SCGC OM with amazing results. I’ve been wanting to experiment with different mic’s and your first post about the Beta 27 has me looking at that one next. The Felix is unreal. I’m so glad it’s analog too.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:46 AM

I haven't tried any of the blenders. After reading more, I think I've abandoned the Stompmix, so yeah I'm considering the Felix and the Radial.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:51 AM

When people say: " i want a linear preamp" i hope they realise that that is not the same as 'my guitar's sound only louder'.
In order for your frequency ratio to stay the same when the volume goes up you actually have to lower the low and high frequencies or highten the mids. It is the nr1 preamp factor that gets overlooked.
You won't see it in a graph and/or in a recording but you'll notice it in any live situation. I started tinkering with straightforward electric guitar 'preamps' capacitors/resistors to see if i could make my 3 o clock sound like my 9 o clock, only louder. Turns out that linear does not do that and it takes filtering to keep the EQ on par.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
2. I'm going to have to retract that statement about Dazzo and TD. Details to come later!

I hear that ToneDexter 2.0 has been released, so let me clarify that statement. In beta testing the new firmware, I got a stunning improvement with ToneDexter and my Dazzo's. Went from really good, to amazing. One of those things where you think the raw pickup sounds good, but then you listen to the TonerDexter-ized version, and go back to the raw, and realize it didn't sound as good as you thought.

Unfortunately, my ToneDexter caught the flu or something between then and now. When it recovers, I'll post some demos.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I hear that ToneDexter 2.0 has been released, so let me clarify that statement. In beta testing the new firmware, I got a stunning improvement with ToneDexter and my Dazzo's. Went from really good, to amazing. One of those things where you think the raw pickup sounds good, but then you listen to the TonerDexter-ized version, and go back to the raw, and realize it didn't sound as good as you thought.

Unfortunately, my ToneDexter caught the flu or something between then and now. When it recovers, I'll post some demos.
Interesting. I think I have seen some posts, might have been one of yours, about the TD with the Trance Amulet and also not seeing much improvement on it. I thought it improved mine quite a bit. Kind of pumped to see what 2.0 will do for it. I just recently spent some time Dexterizing my new Ultra Tonic installation, too. Time to break out the mic, again.

I see 2.0 on the website, but the files aren't there when I click on it, kind of pre-release released, maybe. I'm sure they will get it straightened out. I really like the idea of dialing your own feed back suppression amount.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification