The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-17-2021, 07:59 AM

Default Best way to use a satellite speaker with your PA?

I have some gigs that require an additional satellite speaker be hooked up to my main PA system and sometimes they are pretty far away....like up to 100 feet. Is there an easier way than just using a long XLR cable? Any way to do this wirelessly and what would I need? What about a different type of cable, like rj45 and then using some type of adapter for the XLR inputs?

thanks
Old 06-17-2021, 12:05 PM

Take a look at this:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/denon_dn_2...VhZ2UiOiJlbiJ9

or that:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/sirus_ster...5.8_bundle.htm

But you probably need a delay of 100ms (or a few less because of the analog/digital/analog conversion of the wireless system).

This would be a cheap one:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tracks...controller.htm

If you can install a XLR safely it would be the cheapest and easiest solution but you still need a delay because sound travels slowly.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-17-2021, 01:02 PM

Analogue audio over Cat5:

The first thing that came up on Google.

A few words on the subject from Mr Rat:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=juLMu93Pzpo

I just keep a pair of super long XLRs in the bag and hook them up via an ART DTI isolator to avoid any potential earth loops.

+1 on the need for delaying the signal. I do a rough guess then tune by ear with something percussive (Qu-Pac).

Last edited by shufflebeat; 06-17-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:59 PM

I didn't even think about the delay issue

Any guesses on what the delay would be for a 50 ft XLR cable?
Old 06-17-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I didn't even think about the delay issue

Any guesses on what the delay would be for a 50 ft XLR cable?
Go to 50ms and tweak to taste. As previously mentioned it's much easier to hear the "slapback" effect you're trying to eliminate if you're using something with lots of transients, like a percussion track, to test. I find myself over compensating slightly to allow for the fact that the sound coming from FOH isn't exactly linear but has some "bloom" from the environment. A few extra ms delay allows the satellite sound to blend more naturally.

Play it by ear, it's pretty straightforward once you know that you're listening for.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Go to 50ms and tweak to taste. As previously mentioned it's much easier to hear the "slapback" effect you're trying to eliminate if you're using something with lots of transients, like a percussion track, to test. I find myself over compensating slightly to allow for the fact that the sound coming from FOH isn't exactly linear but has some "bloom" from the environment. A few extra ms delay allows the satellite sound to blend more naturally.

Play it by ear, it's pretty straightforward once you know that you're listening for.
OK thanks....just wanted a good starting point. I use a drum machine pedal, so that will be good for testing the delay.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:46 AM

Sufflebeat explaned it in a great way. 1 ms per foot is good and overcompensating is better. There is the 'Haas-effect' that lets you locate the sound according to the signal that arrives first - in your case the main speaker.

English is not my native language, so, if this explanation is not clear, maybe shufflebeat helps out, or google.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-19-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have some gigs that require an additional satellite speaker be hooked up to my main PA system and sometimes they are pretty far away....like up to 100 feet. Is there an easier way than just using a long XLR cable? Any way to do this wirelessly and what would I need? What about a different type of cable, like rj45 and then using some type of adapter for the XLR inputs?

thanks
Hi JackB1

Where are the satellite speakers located? Further back in the room/crowd space?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-21-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi JackB1

Where are the satellite speakers located? Further back in the room/crowd space?

In front of me, off to the side. The room is an "L" shape and they want the folks at the bar to hear the music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification