The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2020, 07:03 PM

Default Bose S1 pro questions

Question. Would the bose S1 pro be enough of an amp and vocal pa to use for an acoustic show along side a bass player using a very small 10" amp and a drummer using just a kick, snare, hi hat and cymbal with brushes? Would it stay in the mix or be drowned out? Venues up to 50 ppl.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 PM

We use two of them, and the sound is fantastic. I think one would work OK for what you describe, but IMO having 2 would be way better.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 11-16-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

If you preamp the signal(s) going into the Bose S1 than yes. It get's surprisingly loud if you preamp the signal(s) with a mixer or some other source. I also agree that two work very well especially if you need greater (wider) dispersion. The primary S1 can also be used as the preamp source and be used as a floor monitor while the secondary/slave unit as a very loud FOH speaker. A lot depends on the room, the crowd, and the music you're playing.

Based on your statement saying the drummer is using brushes, I would assume a relatively quiet room/venue with similar music. So yes. But I'd still preamp the signal, both guitar and vocals. If your guitar has an active pickup you might be okay but most mics need help. I've got a couple outdoor demo videos down on my sigline if you scroll down once on that page. I've done some pretty in-depth reviews.

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-17-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:07 AM

I tried using an S1 as a amp/monitor with a 3 pc band. we were not loud at all, it really didn't do the job on it's own, it helped to line out to the PA tho.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

As Methos notes, a preamp or mixer will help with some boost to the input signal and will carry your situation fine. I've run our acoustic duo in a relatively large room with 40+ people into a Yamaha mixer and then a single S1 on a pole with plenty of coverage and volume with headroom to spare. Keep in mind that the S1 has excellent coverage at lower volume than a traditional acoustic amp. Good luck and be happy you have a gig!
Old 11-17-2020, 02:38 PM

Don’t let the Bose fans fool you, spend $50 more and get a QSC K8.2 with a free $70 heavy duty gigbag. At 1 meter it’s 128db max spl versus 109db, you tell me. You can always turn down the QSC - you can only turn the Bose up so loud before the sound starts degrading. Better safe then sorry and better then having to buy ANOTHER piece of gear when that one inevitably lets you down at some point.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-17-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 11-17-2020, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Nothing wrong with the QSC k8.2. Excellent speaker if you need a TON of volume. I had one to back up my Bose S1 and I have a demo video where I compare and contrast both. But it was just way more power than we would ever need and we came to love the small size, light weight (under 15 pounds) and ability to run on battery power of the S1. We haven't used AC power in a couple years now. Sold the QSC and bought a second S1. Have not regretted it.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

A couple other excellent choices in the same vein as the Bose S1 (small, lightweight, battery power) are the Fishman Mini Charge, EAE D6-8 (and others) and the JBL Eon One Compact. It's a great time to be an acoustic guitar player. Something for everyone!
Old 11-17-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
If you preamp the signal(s) going into the Bose S1 than yes. It get's surprisingly loud if you preamp the signal(s) with a mixer or some other source. I also agree that two work very well especially if you need greater (wider) dispersion. The primary S1 can also be used as the preamp source and be used as a floor monitor while the secondary/slave unit as a very loud FOH speaker. A lot depends on the room, the crowd, and the music you're playing.

Based on your statement saying the drummer is using brushes, I would assume a relatively quiet room/venue with similar music. So yes. But I'd still preamp the signal, both guitar and vocals. If your guitar has an active pickup you might be okay but most mics need help. I've got a couple outdoor demo videos down on my sigline if you scroll down once on that page. I've done some pretty in-depth reviews.
When I plug directly into it, I can get the input on an S1 to overload without turning it all the way up. I can even get it to fart out in the low end easily too. How can using a mixer make it any louder?
Old 11-17-2020, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
When I plug directly into it, I can get the input on an S1 to overload without turning it all the way up. I can even get it to fart out in the low end easily too. How can using a mixer make it any louder?
An amplifier takes a signal and amplifies it. It can only amplify it so much. But if that signal is amplified before it goes into amplifier (pre-amp) then it is in effect amplifying an already greater signal and therefore it will make it very much louder.

I was initially disappointed with how loud the S1 got with just my passive guitar straight into it. It was useable but only just. Then I pre-amped the signal and was quite literally shocked at just how much louder - and how much clearer - the output became.

When pre-amped I never run the S1 past the 50% detent and then I use the preamp gain to dial in how loud I want the music to play.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
An amplifier takes a signal and amplifies it. It can only amplify it so much. But if that signal is amplified before it goes into amplifier (pre-amp) then it is in effect amplifying an already greater signal and therefore it will make it very much louder.

I was initially disappointed with how loud the S1 got with just my passive guitar straight into it. It was useable but only just. Then I pre-amped the signal and was quite literally shocked at just how much louder - and how much clearer - the output became.

When pre-amped I never run the S1 past the 50% detent and then I use the preamp gain to dial in how loud I want the music to play.
do you always use a pre amp with your bose s1? If thats the case then I may as well just stay with my small system of a 4channel board with 2 1x12 powered speakers. i wanted the bose to cut down on hauling more gear and being loud enough to do an acoustic show with out having to haul so much and using a mixer and 2 bigger speakers, although the mixer is quite tiny
Old 11-18-2020, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

It depends entirely upon the 'gig', of which we have not done much in the last several months for obvious reasons. Back when we were actually playing them we would always use our EAE StompMix X6 digital mixer in front of the Bose S1 for three reasons:

* First - we needed more inputs. We need two mics and one guitar input. The S1 only has 2.

* Second, more EQ and effects. The S1 only has bass, treble and reverb. The EAE adds a whole LOT more allowing for greater control of the signal and better overall output.

* And last of course, more gain. The X6 is relatively small and also battery powered so it's a match made in heaven with the S1. But the price of the two of those together puts many more options in play for less money and more convenience.

If I was looking for a one-and-done system I'd consider the EAE D6-8 or similar as it's a system that has greater output and the same excellent mixer we use integrated into a more powerful amp for less money. All that said, we have and do use the S1 alone with just one guitar and one mic for small gatherings, bonfires for friends, busking and what not.

You seemed to indicate that you only need a couple inputs (guitar and vocals) and not a lot of volume so the S1 is certainly doable since your shows seem to be venue type gigs with a small band and playing for 50 people. But though I'm a big fan of the S1 system, I think there are other options that would serve you better than the S1 in this case.

The EAE offerings with the built in mixer would be perfect for you and give you the power and flexibility you are looking for in a single package for around the same price as the S1.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 AM

Here is a quote I translated from a French review

https://www.soundlightup.com/flash-a...out-faire.html

They made measurements and wrote:

Quote:
Considering its price and its use, the tone is perfectly usable as long as you don't venture too much beyond 104 dB SPL. We can nevertheless reach 110 dB SPL but at the price of a significant distortion including at the top of the spectrum without counting an altered tonal balance.
So it can be loud, but will not sound flat when pushed with pre-amplification. (Note that it is expected from such a tiny box)

I would add tame the low end to prevent it to fart. (my 2 cents based on the few times I tried it in a shop)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
It depends entirely upon the 'gig', of which we have not done much in the last several months for obvious reasons. Back when we were actually playing them we would always use our EAE StompMix X6 digital mixer in front of the Bose S1 for three reasons:

* First - we needed more inputs. We need two mics and one guitar input. The S1 only has 2.

* Second, more EQ and effects. The S1 only has bass, treble and reverb. The EAE adds a whole LOT more allowing for greater control of the signal and better overall output.

* And last of course, more gain. The X6 is relatively small and also battery powered so it's a match made in heaven with the S1. But the price of the two of those together puts many more options in play for less money and more convenience.

If I was looking for a one-and-done system I'd consider the EAE D6-8 or similar as it's a system that has greater output and the same excellent mixer we use integrated into a more powerful amp for less money. All that said, we have and do use the S1 alone with just one guitar and one mic for small gatherings, bonfires for friends, busking and what not.

You seemed to indicate that you only need a couple inputs (guitar and vocals) and not a lot of volume so the S1 is certainly doable since your shows seem to be venue type gigs with a small band and playing for 50 people. But though I'm a big fan of the S1 system, I think there are other options that would serve you better than the S1 in this case.

The EAE offerings with the built in mixer would be perfect for you and give you the power and flexibility you are looking for in a single package for around the same price as the S1.
Thanks for the info. The EAE may be better suited for what I need. Do you know how that compares to the S1 for vocals? Ive read that the S1 vocals sound really nice, does the EAE have the same? Basically all I need is the 2 inputs for vocals/guitar
Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloozeman View Post
Thanks for the info. The EAE may be better suited for what I need. Do you know how that compares to the S1 for vocals? Ive read that the S1 vocals sound really nice, does the EAE have the same? Basically all I need is the 2 inputs for vocals/guitar
I have no personal experience with EAE amplifiers other than the mixer part. But there are several regular posters here that have gone the EAE amp route and all reports are that the EAE amps have outstanding vocals. I'm not surprised though for while the Bose S1 does have excellent vocals I'm able to get even better sound out of the S1 by tweaking through the EAE X6 mixer. I'm quite sure that if they see this post they'll chime in with their thoughts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification