The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-18-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Just ordered a Stewmac Tele kit - Any advice appreciated

I'm retired and just looking for a little project. I just ordered a Wilkinson modern Tele with the rosewood neck kit from StewMac. I'm planning on finishing the body with Tru Oil and maybe the back of the neck with Boiled Linseed oil. All subject to change.

Any advice on anything at all regarding one of these kits would be appreciated. Good, bad or ugly.

This is my first kit build.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM

You might get a better response from the “build and repair” forum.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:35 PM

Hey Bluside, I don't have any experience with kit building but I did buy all the parts individually and assembled my own Frankenstrat 15 years ago. That includes buying a Warmoth neck, all the electronics separately, MIM body, etc.

I just had a look at that StewMac kit. Sounds like a fun project. Advice I can offer (which I'm sure you're aware of) is to make sure you have all the parts as soon as you receive the packages and make sure you have a quality screwdriver so you don't strip any heads.

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to know how the finishing goes.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I'm retired and just looking for a little project. I just ordered a Wilkinson modern Tele with the rosewood neck kit from StewMac. I'm planning on finishing the body with Tru Oil and maybe the back of the neck with Boiled Linseed oil. All subject to change.

Any advice on anything at all regarding one of these kits would be appreciated. Good, bad or ugly.

This is my first kit build.
There are many videos on youtube showing kit builds, so watch as many as you can, and you should do just fine. It's not rocket science.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:59 AM

It's not hard to do. I have put three strat style guitars together. I think one of the most important things is making sure the neck properly lines up with the body.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 06-21-2021, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Why not Tru Oil on the neck as well? Dries harder than plain linseed oil.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:18 AM

I don't know what pickups they are giving you with that, but I have a Warmouth Telecaster that has Lindy Fralins and they are really stand-out pickups.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-21-2021, 12:28 PM

My only advice... Dig in and get started.

Shellac is my favorite finish for necks. Tru-Oil is a good choice for the whole guitar too.

You might consider watching a bunch of videos and even practicing your solder technique unless you already posses that skill.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Bluside, I don't have any experience with kit building but I did buy all the parts individually and assembled my own Frankenstrat 15 years ago. That includes buying a Warmoth neck, all the electronics separately, MIM body, etc.

I just had a look at that StewMac kit. Sounds like a fun project. Advice I can offer (which I'm sure you're aware of) is to make sure you have all the parts as soon as you receive the packages and make sure you have a quality screwdriver so you don't strip any heads.

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to know how the finishing goes.
Thanks, Dru. Actually, i was missing one part but a quick email to Stewmac solved that. Good call on the screwdriver.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
There are many videos on youtube showing kit builds, so watch as many as you can, and you should do just fine. It's not rocket science.
Thanks. Yes, I have spent many hours recently learning as much as I can on youtube.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Why not Tru Oil on the neck as well? Dries harder than plain linseed oil.
No real reason. I am toying with putting True Oil on the neck.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Thanks. Yes, I have spent many hours recently learning as much as I can on youtube.
fanatastic, you should knock it out of the park!
Old 06-21-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Just took a look at the Stew Mac Tele kit. Good deal and by the looks, quality components.

There's a few screws in the kit,.. I keep a bar of soap on my work bench and always soap the threads, they just go in easier. And I use an extra finger around the screw and the head of the screwdriver to guard the finish from a possible slip.

Getting the neck on straight (if you have to drill the holes into the neck) is worth checking a few times to get right, other than that, looks pretty simple.

You might consider shielding the guitar, pickup and control cavities, back of the pickguard, bridge and make sure all is grounded. I'm sure there's youtube videos. I use a star system meaning all the things i mentioned come back to a common ground. Helps w/ single coils w/ the buzz.

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2021, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Just took a look at the Stew Mac Tele kit. Good deal and by the looks, quality components.

There's a few screws in the kit,.. I keep a bar of soap on my work bench and always soap the threads, they just go in easier. And I use an extra finger around the screw and the head of the screwdriver to guard the finish from a possible slip.

Getting the neck on straight (if you have to drill the holes into the neck) is worth checking a few times to get right, other than that, looks pretty simple.

You might consider shielding the guitar, pickup and control cavities, back of the pickguard, bridge and make sure all is grounded. I'm sure there's youtube videos. I use a star system meaning all the things i mentioned come back to a common ground. Helps w/ single coils w/ the buzz.

Enjoy!
All good advice Stephen. I'm surprised the kit did not come with any shielding tape. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:37 AM

no advice on that kit, i did get my tele kit from guitar fetish for $80, great deal of fun building it, its actually one of my favorite guitars right now- i upgraded the pickups, but found out the cheap stock set were comparable to the low cost fenders i put on it, i messed up myself and had trouble with the finish, so take your time with that
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars