The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-21-2021, 08:44 AM
Guest 928

Default Journey OC660M

Journey's carbon fiber classical guitar received a lot of attention when first brought to the market place. This forum would be a good spot for some up to date reviews. The OC660M is one of the few nylon string CF instruments that I have not experienced and I'm dithering.

I know that Gitman and AC have had experience with this instrument and I suspect there are others who might add information. New frontiers...............................

Last edited by Guest 928; 06-21-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 11:01 AM

Folks play nylon string guitars? Interesting.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Guest 928

Yes nephew K, some folks not only play nylon, they like it! According to Jim you're getting more settled down and even reading books. Now might be a good time for you to head for some mellow nylon. Just saying.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

New here, just ordered one.

I am not in the same class as many of you, just a good student, been at it 45 years though. I play only classical and my reservations about the 660 are the quiet sound reported by most reviewers and the narrow (1 7/8) nut. I made sure I could return it should I not like it.

I've owned only one guitar, purchased 45 years ago, no idea really of what the quality is. I have been alternating between taking it up to the high desert and on the boat in the PNW. Most recent trip to the former at one point it was 113 deg F and humidity in single digits. Probably not good for the guitar, surely not good for the strings which dropped two notes. On the boat is it typically 65 deg and 75% humidity. At home here in wine country it is closer to ideal for a guitar. That's why I'm interested in carbon.

I would love to find a normal sized, true classical in carbon, but such an animal does not seem to exist, so I'm going to try the Journey. Should be here Thursday.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

There was a X20 Nylon in the classifieds yesterday.....
Old 08-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Guest 928

Jd; Been there, done that, but always like to look. thank you for the heads up.

DD; I look forward to hearing how you bond with the Journey.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

If the X20 is a standard one, not a true classical, still with the narrow nut.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:13 PM
Guest 928

There is a German maker (the name eludes me at the moment) who makes a traditional classical guitar with carbon fiber.

The Blackbird Rider nylon string does not look like a classical nylon string string, but the fret board, nut width, and sound are very much classical. I think there's one on Reverb if you wanted to take a look.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:28 PM

Are you thinking Dlutowski?
Old 08-17-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I've looked at the Dlutowski website, not a lot of info about the product though it seems reasonably priced. Leviora is probably the German one you are thinking about, starting to get up there in price now. It is the real deal. I just need to find a used one at half price! Anyone actually seen, heard, or played one?

The Rainsong Ryder by reports sounds great, but finding one is nearly impossible. The one on Reverb sold a long time ago.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:41 PM

Dlutowski probably makes the "purest" classical and flamenco guitars. Traditional style. They are in Madrid, Spain--ground zero for classical guitar history. The recordings I've heard sound the closest (to my ears) to a wood classical.

The German builder--Leviora?--builds great guitars but the Spanish guitars are far less expensive. I don't know anyone who has ordered one. Maybe someone here has and will comment.
-----
Ooops. Didn't look further before writing or would have seen that someone else already mentioned basically the same info.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I'm not too hung up on tradition, the Rainsong doesn't put me off and it is anything but traditional. A problem I have with an expensive and essentially custom built European guitar is it is pretty hard to demo. So if I order one, wait the 6 months or whatever, and hate it, I'd have to sell it used here, it'd be an unusual item and might not sell quickly or at a decent price. One advantage of the Journey is I can try it and send it back if I hate it.

Those of you who have converted from a 52mm nut to 1 7/8 - was it a big change? Never tried so I don't know. My fingers are a lot older than they used to be, and now with RA not as strong, so I don't know if the narrower neck will be an advantage or a disadvantage.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:25 PM
Guest 928

D;

I started with full-blown classical nut widths and went to 1 7/8" with no problems. In the old days, with old-time strings the extra space was needed for the string slop. With contemporary strings 1 7/8" is fine and still leaves room enough for some finger slop.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Above I said a had purchased my first and only guitar 45 years ago and did not know what the quality was. I just looked at the model and it is a K. Yairi Alvarez CY-70, built in 1976. I see one advertised on Reverb currently at $2400. So maybe it is a quality instrument after all? It is in near perfect condition but perhaps I should take better care of it rather that running it between climate extremes.....
Old 08-18-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Above I said a had purchased my first and only guitar 45 years ago and did not know what the quality was. I just looked at the model and it is a K. Yairi Alvarez CY-70, built in 1976. I see one advertised on Reverb currently at $2400. So maybe it is a quality instrument after all? It is in near perfect condition but perhaps I should take better care of it rather that running it between climate extremes.....
K. Yairi guitars are highly regarded. They are also known to be quite durable, which you have managed to prove.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber