The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2021, 09:05 PM

Default Taylor T-5 vs. Emerald X30

Based strictly on tone, which one do you prefer? I know there are vast differences between the two with the Emerald being carbon fiber and more. I know tone is subjective but do weigh in and share which one you like the tone of, no capo, plugged in only. Plugged in only as I am not interested in the tone unplugged though you might like to share that. I only play plugged in.
Thanks in advance....
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 06-15-2021, 02:45 PM

I can't speak to the X30. I owned a T5 for several years and have mixed feelings about it. It is a beautiful guitar and a joy to play. Everything about is so comfortable.

Notice I didn't mention tone. When I finally sold it it is because (for me) it was not a great sounding acoustic or a great sounding electric. About 80%. That includes trying different amps, preamps and pedalboards. I really wanted to like it. The final straw was when I went to a Taylor Roadshow and I thought the sound they got during the demos was not very good.

I would expect the X30 to be a far superior acoustic.

YMMV

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-15-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
I can't speak to the X30. I owned a T5 for several years and have mixed feelings about it. It is a beautiful guitar and a joy to play. Everything about is so comfortable.

Notice I didn't mention tone. When I finally sold it it is because (for me) it was not a great sounding acoustic or a great sounding electric. About 80%. That includes trying different amps, preamps and pedalboards. I really wanted to like it. The final straw was when I went to a Taylor Roadshow and I thought the sound they got during the demos was not very good.

I would expect the X30 to be a far superior acoustic.

YMMV

Jack
Curiously I bought my Taylor T5z Pro Limited 2018 Roadshow Exclusive, with a Grapevine Finish, at a Taylor Road Show in Cotati, CA. Besides being drop dead gorgeous, Wayne Johnson did an incredible job showcasing the electric and acoustic sound possibilities, and Loud and Clear Music gave me a great deal.

While very comfortable to play, and having an excellent build quality, I wasn’t that successful getting comparable acoustic or electric tones. I also subsequently acquired additional acoustic/electric and electric guitars that gave me what I was looking for.

Wayne said he liked the T5z a lot, because he could take it on gigs in Europe, and not need additional guitars.

From what I’ve read here, people either love them or find them wanting. I’m definitely in the latter group. There is only one acoustic setting, which I found almost okay. Going by Reverb listings, they seem to hold their value pretty well.

I also haven’t played an X30, but love my short scale, custom build X20, and also expect that the X30 would be a better acoustic than the Taylor.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by Acousticado; 06-15-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

That's an interesting comparison. I have a T5 and an Emerald X20 (not an X30). I also have an X10 with the level 2 pickups, which, frankly, would be a much closer comparison to a T5.

The X30 is a jumbo acoustic, and as such will sound like a jumbo acoustic. Plugged in, the best tone will be... a plugged in jumbo acoustic.

The T5 is an electric guitar. Thin line hollowbody. It has a great variety of electric tones available, one of which is an approximation of an acoustic guitar. I think a lot of people buy the T5 thinking it will sound line your favorite acoustic and a Les Paul... then, they are disappointed when it doesn't do either well. If you HAVE TO use the T5 for acoustic and electric, you are best served with two amps (an electric and an acoustic) and an A/B/Y pedal.

I am a definite Emerald fan, but I've had my T5 for years, and it isn't going anywhere - it is a great guitar. Run through an acoustic amp, I can get decent acoustic-type sound from it. Run through an electric amp with pedals (or a modeling amp) it gives all kinds of great electric tones, from clean to full over-drive. It doesn't "sound like a Les Paul or a Strat," but it does have its own electric tones... and has my favorite neck of any guitar I've owned.

My X20 is my favorite acoustic guitar; very versatile unplugged, and easy to EQ for a full acoustic tone plugged in (I use a T4 mixer into a Bose L1c). The X20 is as big as I care to own for an acoustic guitar, and is very comfortable thanks to the ergonomic design. But, when I want electric tones, I pick up one of my electric guitars. When I want an acoustic tone, I grab one of my acoustics (carbon fiber or wood), usually the X20.

From my perspective, comparing a T5 and an X30 is like asking which is better: a sports coupe or a 15 passenger van? Each is good for the intended use, but the coupe isn't going to hold a family of 8 on a week long vacation, and the maxi-van will be lumbery on a fun, twisty road.

I think the better usage would be: a T5 AND an X30.

Good luck with the decisions.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 06-16-2021 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I started with a T5 after watching all those slick videos of guys that could make it sound like an acoustic. I tried for about a year and never got a sound that I liked and I tried everything, including the dual amp setup. Then I borrowed a buddy's Martin 000-28EC and it was an, "AH! There it is!!" moment. THAT was the sound I was looking for so I traded the T5 for the EC.

I don't have an X30 and I've never played one but I've owned 5 different Emeralds including two X20's and they sound WAY more like an acoustic than the T5 did. If you are looking for an acoustic sound then go with the X30. If you want a cool-looking, comfortable playing electric that can give you a whole bunch of cool electric guitar tones then go with the T5.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:26 AM

OP here.....very helpful ideas and I will eliminate the T5 from my short list. Might go with the X30 or X20. I like the idea of carbon fiber being so not dependent on humidity.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 06-17-2021, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Emerald makes terrific guitars and will do some custom modifications within reason. I've owned 5 over the years, with all but one being highly customized woody's.

The X20 is a great all-around guitar. The X30 is great if you need that huge tone you get from a large body but since you state you only play plugged in then the X20 might be the way to go.

RainSong is doing some exciting things in carbon fiber these days with a more traditional style body shape. There is not shortage of choices for great CF guitar options. Plenty more info over on the carbon fiber sub-forum.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:28 PM

In a T5 vs almost anything, I would opt for choice that wasn't a T5. They play nicely, but they just don't sound good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification