The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Mostly play with my fingers. When I do pick a pick. I pick, Dunlop Nylon .60's.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
This month, for me, is the Taylor Ivoroid 346 in 1.21mm. You can get a six-pack of these for $12. The ivoroid enriches a guitar's warm tones.
These are great picks. I bought a pack and they sound great on my Martin OM-35. I gave a couple to my buddy and they’re all he uses on his D18, D41 and D35. The ivoroid also makes it very grippy.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:57 PM

Just driving myself nuts with this. The sound in my head is a pick that isn't too clicky, warm but not "thuddy", good note definition, but not thin sounding. Yes, I know I'm nuts.

I've tried dozens and dozens in all shapes and sizes, but mostly just dunlop and fender picks.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoga View Post
Just driving myself nuts with this. The sound in my head is a pick that isn't too clicky, warm but not "thuddy", good note definition, but not thin sounding. Yes, I know I'm nuts.

I've tried dozens and dozens in all shapes and sizes, but mostly just dunlop and fender picks.
IMO, you really need to get off the thought that the pick is changing tone on you. You need a pick that is silent on the attack. That's what you should be desiring. A light pic to a medium pick will create a tick sound. That's the pick bending on the attack and snapping back to....a flat pick. Get rid of that crap. You don't want to hear a thing other than the tone of the guitar and the chosen strings.

Listen to the guitar. Not the pick. And play. I'm beginning to think you need a new guitar. Grab a glassy hard 2mm pick and stick with it. For months. Problem solved.

What strings are you using.??
Old 07-23-2020, 09:23 PM

I'm a Jim Dunlop .60mm nylon user myself but these Dunlop assorted packs are a great idea too. (they also have a Medium/Heavy assortment PVP102)

... and for something different!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-23-2020, 10:26 PM

Default A humble suggestion...

Why settle on one pick? You probably haven't settled on one guitar. Or glued the tone controls of your electric, have you? I think of picks as the tone controls of my acoustic guitar. The differences between a rounded 2mm, a sharp-beveled speed pick, and a softer Primetone, to name a few, are as audible as the difference between my three guitars. New guitar or new pick, which is cheaper? So picks have become my fascination, and secret weapon. It's a cheap date.

I can also understand to reasons you might feel differently. If you're a technical player, you might want the maximum consistency in pick feel and performance. Or if you're developing a single signature tonality. Being far from either level of skill, I'm pleased that my favorite brand, V-Picks, offers over 80 styles. I've only played a dozen or so.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-23-2020, 10:31 PM

Why settle on one pick.?? Because it makes one a better player. Doesn't matter what guitar your playing.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:28 AM

Keep in mind that your pick is your physical connection to the instrument. It's absolutely expected that you might prefer a different pick on different days or for different material.

My current default choice is a Primetone 1.5, but sometimes I want more brightness, so I'll change to a brighter material, or more compression for strumming, where I might change to a thinner pick.

Compared to guitars, picks are Cheap. Try 'em all
Old 07-24-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
IMO, you really need to get off the thought that the pick is changing tone on you. You need a pick that is silent on the attack. That's what you should be desiring. A light pic to a medium pick will create a tick sound. That's the pick bending on the attack and snapping back to....a flat pick. Get rid of that crap. You don't want to hear a thing other than the tone of the guitar and the chosen strings.

Listen to the guitar. Not the pick. And play. I'm beginning to think you need a new guitar. Grab a glassy hard 2mm pick and stick with it. For months. Problem solved.

What strings are you using.??
I mentioned in my first post that I currently have Marting Lifespan 2.0 12’s on my Taylor 214ce-k dlx. I don’t plan on getting a new guitar any time soon. I really do like my guitar, but I’m just having trouble settling on one pick.

I find it interesting that you say to grab a glassy hard pick. If we are describing things the same way, it is actually the glassy sound that I don’t like. The chirp that squeaks out when the pick contacts an already vibrating string doesn’t sound good to me. I have it in my head that I want a pick that almost sounds like the attack of fingers, but I know that is impossible.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I mentioned in my first post that I currently have Marting Lifespan 2.0 12’s on my Taylor 214ce-k dlx. I don’t plan on getting a new guitar any time soon. I really do like my guitar, but I’m just having trouble settling on one pick.

I find it interesting that you say to grab a glassy hard pick. If we are describing things the same way, it is actually the glassy sound that I don’t like. The chirp that squeaks out when the pick contacts an already vibrating string doesn’t sound good to me. I have it in my head that I want a pick that almost sounds like the attack of fingers, but I know that is impossible.
You're wrong on that. A glassy pick has nothing to do with a glassy tone coming out of the guitar. I've tried to tell you 3 times..... Most players desire a pick that you can't hear on the attack. When one plays fingerstyle, you don't hear the fingers on the attack. Perfect.!! A 2mm pick with a glassy finish promotes the same thing. Noiseless.

Now, of course you get a squeal when your pick hits a vibrating string. That my friend is an error on the players part.

Picks aren't warm or bright. The guitar and the strings are.

Do a search here of Charmed Life Picks. I think you need to learn what a pick does and what a pick doesn't do. In all due respect, you have some reading to do. I just can't believe how focused you are about 'hearing' the pick. It's sort of like having slightly dirty glasses..... sometimes you need to see through them.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
You're wrong on that. A glassy pick has nothing to do with a glassy tone coming out of the guitar. I've tried to tell you 3 times..... Most players desire a pick that you can't hear on the attack. When one plays fingerstyle, you don't hear the fingers on the attack. Perfect.!! A 2mm pick with a glassy finish promotes the same thing. Noiseless.

Now, of course you get a squeal when your pick hits a vibrating string. That my friend is an error on the players part.

Picks aren't warm or bright. The guitar and the strings are.

Do a search here of Charmed Life Picks. I think you need to learn what a pick does and what a pick doesn't do. In all due respect, you have some reading to do. I just can't believe how focused you are about 'hearing' the pick. It's sort of like having slightly dirty glasses..... sometimes you need to see through them.
I truly want to understand and appreciate what you are saying, but my ears just hear it a different way I guess. Yes, I have a lot of learning to do. I'm sure there is plenty of user error on my part as I figure this all out. I do have over 20 years experience as a bass player, playing in many different bands over that time span, so I feel I have something of an ear for trying to work out tone and technique, but I've got less than a year in of working with an acoustic guitar. I have several picks in my collection that are heavy as you suggest. I have a 2.0 primetone grip, a 1.5 primetone smooth, a 2.0 ultex sharp, and a wegen bluegrass (1.5?). I will put in some more work with these picks and see what I can figure out.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:44 AM

I understand wanting to have the "one" pick. I have never been able to settle on just one.

I presently have in each case Dunlop Nylon, I believe about .73 in thickness. Dunlop Tortex .833 in thickness. The old stand by Fender mediums. Also have a 1.0mm Dunlop nylon in the electric case.

I have on the music stand a Dunlop Tortex .833, and a Dunlop thumb pick that I have been using a while.

I have added in the last couple of months a Black Mountain thumb pick. It is shaped like your standard tear drop pick and works really well for flat picking. It also has a spring loaded piece going over the thumb so you always have a consistent grip. The pick itself is 1.5mm thick nylon with beveled edges.

But for you folks that have found the "one", I applaud you. Personally, I haven't been able to do it.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I don't know your guitar , or what guage strings you use, nor your playing skill/style.

However, I'd say this : There are 1. Bluechip, and 2. everything else.

I've been hitting strings with picks for, I guess, about 50 years now, and like just about every other guitar picker, I have boxes full of various makes and materials.
I had settled on Martin 1.2 m/m delrin and/or nylon teardrop style Martin picks for about twenty years. They don't make 'em anymore, but I suppose Dunlop Tortex are similar.

However when I met some visiting American bluegrass musicians, mailny mandolin and guitar bplayers, they all seemed to use Blue chips.

Like many, I thought the price was a joke ... until I got one. Now I have one for every guitar I own - all large triangles (TAD). I have Wegen TF and loads of others I tried to make as good but nothing compares.

Basically, I'd say, if you use medium guage strings, I'd suggest TAD50 (1.25 m/m) or for lights, the TAD40 (1 m/m) but if you really prefer the single point teardrops, up the thickness one degree.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I don't know your guitar , or what guage strings you use, nor your playing skill/style.

However, I'd say this : There are 1. Bluechip, and 2. everything else.

I've been hitting strings with picks for, I guess, about 50 years now, and like just about every other guitar picker, I have boxes full of various makes and materials.
I had settled on Martin 1.2 m/m delrin and/or nylon teardrop style Martin picks for about twenty years. They don't make 'em anymore, but I suppose Dunlop Tortex are similar.

However when I met some visiting American bluegrass musicians, mailny mandolin and guitar bplayers, they all seemed to use Blue chips.

Like many, I thought the price was a joke ... until I got one. Now I have one for every guitar I own - all large triangles (TAD). I have Wegen TF and loads of others I tried to make as good but nothing compares.

Basically, I'd say, if you use medium guage strings, I'd suggest TAD50 (1.25 m/m) or for lights, the TAD40 (1 m/m) but if you really prefer the single point teardrops, up the thickness one degree.

Hope that helps.
For the record, Silly, let's clarify that this is your opinion, one person's opinion. I promise you that I personally know thousands of players all over the world who disagree with that statement. And folks, I'm the only other person in the industry who has worked extensively with and marketed Vespel picks for many years. Yeah, that's me.

One need look no further than Chris Thile. Chris has a Blue Chip model named after him, the CT-55, one of their best sellers. And yet D'Addario is now marketing a Chris Thile Signature Model made not of Vespel but of Casein. So apparently Mr. Thile feels that there are other materials out there he feels comfortable putting between his fingers.

Look, folks, here's the truth. There is no such thing as a perfect pick, just as there is no such thing as a perfect guitar. Otherwise we'd all just be playing D-28s, instead of the 15 guitars on my wall behind me as I write this.

There is no such thing as a perfect pick. It doesn't exist. I've played more materials than almost anyone I know -- and I get mine at wholesole, or free. Vespel? It's great. Wish we still sold it. But one size fits all? In my experience, no. My opinion, nothing more.

Safety & Health to All of You,
Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 07-24-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Have you tried Fender Tru Shell?

Scott of CLP recommended these, and they are fantastic
Thank you Scott!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion