The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-10-2003, 10:23 PM

Default Side mount PU on custom guitar

As most of you know I'm in the process of ordering a custom made Morgan guitar, Grand concert venetian cutaway in rosewood to be exact. I've been flip-floping on the pick ups.. I know I want an internal pick up, and I like the Fishman Stereo Blender thats on my 614LTD('01). So I've been thinking of putting that in there. The people at Morgan recommended a B-Band A7(or something to that name) which I believe is an end pin pick up. I really want a side mount, with easy acess and alot of tonal adjustablity. It just pains me to think of cutting a hole in the side... So I saw that Fishman has a pick up similar to the Stereo Blender but for slimmer bodies, I'm thinking this might be a good choice as it wouldn't be AS big of a hole. ...Anyone used said pick up? Is the Fishman Pre-fix line getting out dated in general? I like the sound quality on my 614's PU, so I know I like fishman anyway.. Also, how are B-Bands in general I hear they are good, and thought about getting a B-band side mount, but haven't heard one in person. I'm getting close to my order deadline, so.. Any recommendations would be glady accepted. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Sharon
'06 Baby Taylor - "Cry Baby"

"The resident unoffical Morgan spokes woman"

Morgan player #26 - www.morganguitars.com

"If men are from Mars and Women are from Venus then Drummers are from Pluto" - 'Still Crazy'
Old 09-12-2003, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

One last thought. Are you going to be performing live with this guitar?
John, thanks for your input!

That's the exact reason I'm battling myself with onboard controls. Is I will be using this guitar to perform live.. Performing with a $$$$ guitar is probably not the smartest choice in the world, but hey if I'm gonna own it.. Show it off, right? lol. I looked into the fishman under saddle PU, and while it sounds look a good idea, If I'm going to be gigging with this guitar the onboard controls are a must. While my Taylor 614ce is my main performance guitar, I will be using the Morgan as a back-up/alternate tuning guitar. And I feel I would need the controls. I guess it's just the thought of cutting a hole into it that makes me go "ouch". The 614ce, came with the fishman, so it wasn't MY doing to put the side mount on it.. It feels different with a guitar I'm designing. I thought the slimmer fishman blender might be an option, because it's not as large of a hole. I'm a bit worried that if/when fishman becomes an older technology and another comes out I may want to change the PU. So my thought is that if it's smaller I can always cut more out to install a new side mount, but you can't put more on! lol. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Stereo Blender, it sounds sweet in my 614ce.. Thanks again for the input, it's helped me in deciding which path to take. I'll stop rambling now.

"If men are from Mars and Women are from Venus then Drummers are from Pluto" - 'Still Crazy'
Old 09-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Fishman Rare Earth Blend - no holes, but blends.

Baggs Dual Source - no holes, but blends.

K&K Pure Western Trininty (my favorite) - no holes, but blends.

PUTW Stealth Combo - again, no holes, but blends.

Don't cut that guitar. That's the only thing I regret about my 614 LTD - I hate the hole in the side.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:29 PM

Architectx, About those PUs.. Thanks for the info. How do they blend? They have an external blender?

Old 09-12-2003, 05:48 PM

This is an argument with two strong opinions -- both of which are right...

However, (from this side of the camp), if you can't do ES, and you're gigging with this thing, I'll have to say go with the Fishman.

You asked about the smaller Blender -- I have one in my k22CE (these guys thought I was nutz, but I also installed it myself!)

The smaller controls work just fine for me -- the K22's a weekly gigger (at least till next week when my new 714CE-LTD gets here! heheheheheeeeeeee....)

Anyhow, as mentioned above, the onboard controls are a lifesaver in a giggin' situation. You ain't got no time to find that external pre-amp/blender tethered to that cord out there in the dark...

Let us see some pics when it's done -- whichever way you go.

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 09-12-2003, 06:30 PM

Thanks DickensDad. I haven't actually seen the smaller fishman blender in person.. Is it the same controls/look at the regular sized Stereo blender?

Old 09-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorGirl
Architectx, About those PUs.. Thanks for the info. How do they blend? They have an external blender?
They all have very small on-board controls that mount just at the edge of the sound hole as one option (except the Rare Earth - the control is actually mounted on the pickup). The other options would be to use a small "belt clip" style external blender or a larger "amp top" style blender (more features & cost, less convenience).

I've got to say, I just got a used OM-21 with the K&K Pure system in it (not even the blending model). It is the next best thing to the ES I've heard (just my opinion).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification