The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Standard notation for guitar gives you indications and hints throughout the score, especially in areas where players might wonder where to go.

It does not tell you exactly and systematically where to put your fingers like tablature does.

That was my point.
Joe,

Good quality notation does exactly that. It gives you the position (usually for higher ones, or for specific arrangements) string number and which finger to put there. But it is assumed that for 1st position those things are evident and do not need to be annotated.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
it wasn addresed to you my friend
It's ok.

I wasn't sure who it was addressed to -- but everyone in this discussion here seem to be decent and reasonable musicians who know what standard notation is.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
but everyone in this discussion here seem to be decent and reasonable musicians who know what standard notation is.
i m not sure of that
Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
you are wrong on this
edit if the composer/arranger wants you to know where to put your fingers he will tell you through standard notation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
Joe,

Good quality notation does exactly that. It gives you the position (usually for higher ones, or for specific arrangements) string number and which finger to put there. But it is assumed that for 1st position those things are evident and do not need to be annotated.
Guys, it's cool -- we're saying the exact same thing.

I've highlighted the parts where you are actually supporting what I said.

While standard notation will give you all kinds of hints (string number, fingering, etc.), tablature tells you what fret to use in clear Arabic numbers. I hope this clarifies my thoughts.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Standard notation for guitar gives you indications and hints throughout the score, especially in areas where players might wonder where to go.

It does not tell you exactly and systematically where to put your fingers like tablature does.

That was my point.
There are fingering notations where there is doubt. Most classical guitar music uses standard notation with with fingering symbols added, etc. I am perfectly fine with tab or standard notation although using a combination of both is great.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Odie...

My personal opinion and choice in teaching is song based and note-for-note-rote as a first step. I find note-for-note-rote without paper a good first step.

And it's based in tradition. Gypsy Jazz as a European tradition had no written music (TAB or Scores). There was often a 4th player in a Gypsy Jazz trio who was the apprentice guitarist sitting in and learning from the established player.

So when I teach the process used with my students for the past 35 years is:
  • Rote memorization of a song (No notation or TAB, video cameras are encouraged)
  • Now the song is yours…do whatever you want to it. Transpose, modulate, change the tempo or style. Play it for me your new way in 6 weeks.
  • Now let's take your version and arrange it as a duo…we'll build a duet part

I find this encourages better learning, more musical playing, less regret over a single note or two out of place, learning to play well with others, and students learn to stylize pieces and do simple arranging on their own.

Hi Larry,

All is well when a student has a teacher who can demonstrate things in a most efficient manner. In Poland fingerstyle on steel string is prtactically non-existent. There are simply no teachers who can teach you that particular style.
So people are forced to use either notation (std, tab, whatever), take skype lessons or go to youtube for tutorials. Or work things out by ear (but that is a very long process and cannot be done if you are just starting)...

I am not saying that your method is wrong and everyone should learn from written sources. I also find it easier when somebody shows me how to play things... But I have to rely on what I have available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
There are fingering notations where there is doubt. Most classical guitar music standard notation is adapted for guitar with fingering symbols added, etc. I am perfectly fine with tab or standard notation although using a combination of both is great.
Yes, we are in agreement, Rick.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
There are fingering notations where there is doubt. Most classical guitar music standard notation is adapted for guitar with fingering symbols added, etc. I am perfectly fine with tab or standard notation although using a combination of both is great.
i ve played the same pieces on 1993 and 2006..different teachers ,different aproach,different fingerings
and right hand fingerings are also important!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
...While standard notation will give you all kinds of hints (string number, fingering, etc.), tablature tells you what fret to use in clear Arabic numbers...
it gives the fret/string combination but typically not the fretting finger. (nor the picking finger)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
it gives the fret/string combination but typically not the fretting finger. (nor the picking finger)
Correct.

I guess the concerns/difficulties aren't the same in both worlds.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post

wrong........
Old 04-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
wrong........
I believe mc1 was talking about the limitations of commonly available tab. And he is correct.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
...I am not saying that your method is wrong and everyone should learn from written sources. I also find it easier when somebody shows me how to play things... But I have to rely on what I have available.
Hi Odie...

I agree about not enough teachers.

I'm thrilled at the potential the internet brings for video lessons, and even live-video-lessons. This seems to me to be a possible answer to some of the things you brought up.

There are not just a lack of skilled teachers to show you fingerstyle in Poland, they are lacking here in America as well.

May I point out that there are great teaching DVDs being produced (and have been for the past 15 years). It's a great resource available to all of us, and at very reasonable costs.

Do you have access to Amazon dot com over there?

Thanks for your kind note...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

standard notation gives you all the information you need but also allow you the feedom to chose how to play it

edit some things i dont get right away because english is not my mother language

Quote:
wrong........
lol. it's like the game show buzzer going off.

doesn't anybody here read tabs!?! - just kidding.

some tabs show rhythm, some show fretting hand fingerings, some show picking hand fingerings - but the majority i've seen don't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write