The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2021, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Check out the AGF classifieds. Great sellers here and they might just be selling what you are looking for!

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=627486
Old 10-01-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
Eh yeah stuff like that is par for the course for Martin IMO. Blame the pandemic, blame factory production, I dunno, but either way they need to improve their QC. I'd send it back.
Par for the course for Martin?? Really?? I've been buying Martin guitars for over 50 years. I own a number of Martin guitars now. I've never had a problem.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:54 PM

Might only need a new nut and a setup. I would get a quote to have the work done locally and then ask the seller for a refund of that amount. If he says no, then follow the previous suggestions.

Just read your post #20 and it sounds as if you have it all taken care of.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAlan View Post
After searching for a new short scale acoustic I purchased a brand new one from a Martin dealer via reverb. Instrument straight out of the box.
Are you sure that you bought it from a dealer. I've purchased two guitars on Reverb. Both sellers acted like they were selling from a store. They weren't.

Both sellers told me that their technician had set up the guitar. No way. When I checked out the "shops" they were both personal addresses.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
To everyone making suggestions to the OP for action, remember that relative satisfaction does not equate to a moral standard. Only one side is known, and while I defer to the truth of just about all OPs, there are just too many variables, policies, and other facts before suggesting fraud, third party involvement (reverb, banks, credit companies, etc), or defects as proper conclusions.
Being in retail nearly 50 years, I have a different view. The OP received 2 guitars that were in poor condition. Where I drew the line is the sellers attitude toward the OP after the second guitar was no better! Would you not assume that the second guitar should have been scrutinized to assure everything was in order and that you were not adding salt to the wound? How is reversing the charge card not warranted? The dealer had a second shot.

Last edited by hifivic; 10-02-2021 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Par for the course for Martin?? Really?? I've been buying Martin guitars for over 50 years. I own a number of Martin guitars now. I've never had a problem.
I agree. Been buying Martins for a similar length of time. I never bought one online, though. I always went to a dealer.

I doubt that the 000-28 in question left the Martin factory with a loose truss rod and no neck relief. They have a final inspection for each instrument. Someone was fooling with it before the OP got it.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:53 AM

What can I say, my experience buying Martin online was more like the OPs. Granted, it was recent and not over 50 years at some local music shop that sends the duds back for me.
Maybe there are counterfeits out there, but I certainly didn't pay a counterfeit price for them.

I think they have struggled with QC primarily during the pandemic (well and in other periods, ahem binding issues) due to the increased demand, supply issues, labor issues, various mandates, etc. It's not easy to ramp up production when you also have all those other challenges.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
What can I say, my experience buying Martin online was more like the OPs. Granted, it was recent and not over 50 years at some local music shop that sends the duds back for me.
Maybe there are counterfeits out there, but I certainly didn't pay a counterfeit price for them.

I think they have struggled with QC primarily during the pandemic (well and in other periods, ahem binding issues) due to the increased demand, supply issues, labor issues, various mandates, etc. It's not easy to ramp up production when you also have all those other challenges.
It's true that they have had some QC problems in recent years, but many of those could have been avoided by buying only first-hand from a dealer.

I can't imagine buying a guitar, something that I would intend to live with for many years, without first playing and comparing in a quiet room at a respected dealer.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
I can't imagine buying a guitar, something that I would intend to live with for many years, without first playing and comparing in a quiet room at a respected dealer.
I agree . . . but I've bought some of my best guitars on line through My Favorite Guitars, Maury's, and Elderly. I trusted them and they didn't let me down. I hate it that Jon at MFG decided to retire.

On the other hand, I doubt that I will buy from Reverb again. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:05 AM

Sorry for the OP's experience here. Truly a major let down not once, but twice! FWIW, I sense no "axe to grind" from the OP as he relays what has transpired. he's paid good money for a guitar --twice-- that simply did not meet its own expectations, a point that is not "personal" or based on opinion, but one of QC that should have been addressed by a maker that touts quality.

Moreover, when is replacing the nut on a brand new guitar of reputed quality ever described as "only" a nut? Gimme a break! Why folks continue to make excuses for their team baffles me. And shame on the "Martin Service Center"; what a ridiculous answer. But at least the factory stepped up and handled shipping cost, good on them. Poor quality needs to be called out; and if stellar service doesn't address the malady, then the message is clear. Well, clear to all except the most ardent apologists.

1. Lesson learned for the "quality" of the seller here.
2. Perhaps a lesson to be learned for the make, at least for the OP given his very real experience.

To the OP, hope you get satisfaction here, whether that comes in instrument form or monetary. From where I sit, you've done well given what you've gotten. Hope for the best, sir!

Edward
Old 10-02-2021, 11:09 AM

Default Return to Reverb!

Quote:
After searching for a new short scale acoustic I purchased a brand new one from a Martin dealer via reverb. Instrument straight out of the box.

Nut slots cut off center resulting in the treble E string positioned .5mm from the edge of the fret. Any pressure or vibrato would push the string off the neck

Truss rod fully loose and not enough neck relief. Possibly needs a neck reset from new.

Nothing like getting a brand new guitar and having to send it straight back to the factory for god knows how long.
How much was saved vs buying on Sweetwater? Because they would never have allowed that guitar out the door, while the Reverb seller knew perfectly well that it was a total dog. Please, contact Reverb and return it - with NO return shipping charge to you, since it is "not as described". That beats any "no return" policy on a listing.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 10-02-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Not saying Martin doesnt let a lemon slip out the door now and then, but that raises concern for a counterfeit scam. I find it hard to believe that any authorized Martin dealer would let that pass through their shop, let alone it getting past Martin checks. Any company with that volume cant be perfect, but thats pretty over the top.
I dunno....I bought a Martin D-16RGT (budget version of D-28) a couple years ago, after the local seller dropped the price from $1200 to $750. Still a lousy deal, it was unplayable due to desperately needing a neck reset - crazy high action, even with the truss rod cranked on down and extra light strings. It was no boot, it was a dog. I'd never buy a Martin without holding it first, something's gone wrong in Nazareth.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 10-02-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Being in retail nearly 50 years, I have a different view. The OP received 2 guitars that were in poor condition. Where I drew the line is the sellers attitude toward the OP after the second guitar was no better! Would you not assume that the second guitar should have been scrutinized to assure everything was in order and that you were not adding salt to the wound? How is reversing the charge card not warranted? The dealer had a second shot.
First, because we do jot know anything except the seller's word, no pics or anything. He can be picky or unfamiliar with how some guitars are set up.

Second, we are unaware of the terms of the deal. Having an involved third party "reverse charges" can be cowardly at best, a breach if terms at worst...not to mention complicated with possession of the guitar.

All that said, all respect to the OP and this is theoretical.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Nut slots cut off center resulting in the treble E string positioned .5mm from the edge of the fret. Any pressure or vibrato would push the string off the neck

Truss rod fully loose and not enough neck relief. Possibly needs a neck reset from new.

Nothing like getting a brand new guitar and having to send it straight back to the factory for god knows how long.
I've seen nut slots on new Martins that put the treble E too close to the fretboard edge.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:42 PM

Default Martin

I have three Martins and they are all excellent guitars. I ordered two from Sweetwater and one I bought local. They all arrived in perfect shape. I once ordered a Sire acoustic through Reverb from a shop in California. It arrived to me with a broken headstock. I took a picture, messaged the seller, and the sales rep gave me a refund. The seller blamed UPS. However, the seller also just put the guitar (in a hard case) in a box without any padding. The guitar just bounced around inside the box from California to Florida. That experience would lead me to suspect that the problem with your Martin has either with how it was shipped or how it was treated at the shop- not how it came from Martin- Or it's a counterfeit as was mentioned previously.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion