The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2021, 06:22 AM

It’s possible that Martin let a turd slip out the door. It’s also possible (as another member mentioned) that it could have sat for a while in who knows what environment and that could’ve led to the neck issues.

I have a 2021 000-18 and a 2020 000-15m what I’d consider pandemic models and they are both perfect. Of course I had to do my own setup, but you should know that going in to a Martin purchase.

It shouldn’t need a neck reset. Get you a 24” straight edge and lay it on the neck and see where the end falls at the bridge. It should fall near the very top of the bridge. But if you are unhappy, then yea, I’d just return it and try again. No one likes getting a dud, sorry that’s been your experience.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:42 AM

I think a basic setup is what your guitar needs.
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 10-01-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Interesting (and sad) just how frequent posts of NGD disappointments occur in a our "mail-order" (there's an old term for you) world.

It makes me wonder what the experiences were like (and why) for the country folks of 60+ years ago who ordered Martins and Gibsons (i.e., via Sears catalogue?). I could be wrong but my guess is there were fewer disappointments.

Imagine the - little kid on Christmas morning, heart-sinking feeling - of getting a long awaited "dream guitar" that's unplayable.

Like many AGF'ers (I'd guess) - I've experienced a few "send-it-back" disappointments, exactly four perfect right out of box and two that were great guitars but needed immediate attention to play them above the 3rd fret.

Glad to say I'm at least old enough to appreciate what guitar shopping used to mean: Leave the house to play as many as possible - including ones I could not afford at the time (an invaluable education) - until I found the "one" in my arms.

Honor thy Mom & Pop dealers.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

A loose truss rod does no mean a bad truss rod. Just might need to be adjusted. How’s it sound? If you like the sound wok with the dealer. Unless the neck is out of wack it’s an easy fix. It would cost more for the dealer to exchange then to give you a discount to fix it, assuming it’s the nut

With that said It happens now and then with most factory builds. Sometimes the QC person lets it slip through and the dealer catches it. Sometimes it slips through the dealers hands and the customer get a guitar with issues. But reverb has a great return mechanism in place. Hopefully you won’t have to pay shipping

On a side not, I played a OOO-28 at a local mom and pop place the other day. It was fantastic and GAS has hit hard......argggg what to sell?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-01-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:04 AM

Wow - impressive amount of responses. Thank You!

This was actually the second one the shop sent me (This is a medium sized retail music store). First one arrived with a bloated top and super high 3/8" action. It was shipped UPS ground to Florida.

Second one (the one in question) was sent via Fedex overnight. When I wrote the store via email about the issues with the second one I first took it to another martin dealer locally (they have none) and then the local Martin service center. The service center offered to create a new nut, but indicated it "won't be factory perfect".

At that point the seller got belligerent with me via email so I contacted Martin customer service and they paid for return shipping. But don't know how long it will take at this point. But if its anything other than 200% perfect, then I will have them do it again.

I'll add that I found the store through Reverb, but contacted them directly for a better deal. So the transaction was done outside of Reverb.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Aren't the sellers or "shops" supposed to look at the instruments and make sure they're playable? Even a new Eastman I bought recently for pennies came with a "pro setup" from the seller, which meant it still needed some fine tuning but was playable out of the box. Sounds like seller dropped the ball.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:11 AM

I checked the Serial Number, guitar was built in early 2021.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

A double action truss rod will go through a slack point before adding relief. And having a nut cut with spacing to suit your playing style is not really a big issue. It sounds like Martin are going to fit a new nut, so that's a win.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAlan View Post

This was actually the second one the shop sent me (This is a medium sized retail music store). First one arrived with a bloated top and super high 3/8" action. It was shipped UPS ground to Florida.

Second one (the one in question) was sent via Fedex overnight. When I wrote the store via email about the issues with the second one I first took it to another martin dealer locally (they have none) and then the local Martin service center. The service center offered to create a new nut, but indicated it "won't be factory perfect".

At that point the seller got belligerent with me via email so I contacted Martin customer service and they paid for return shipping. But don't know how long it will take at this point. But if its anything other than 200% perfect, then I will have them do it again.

I'll add that I found the store through Reverb, but contacted them directly for a better deal. So the transaction was done outside of Reverb.
I think you should quit buying 'em on the Internet and only buy what you can satisfy yourself is to your liking in person.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 10-01-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Brand New 000-28 Total Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Not saying Martin doesnt let a lemon slip out the door now and then, but that raises concern for a counterfeit scam. I find it hard to believe that any authorized Martin dealer would let that pass through their shop, let alone it getting past Martin checks. Any company with that volume cant be perfect, but thats pretty over the top.

My thought also. This is likely not a real Martin ( although Martin will know!) and the seller needs to be held accountable. I hope you will announce the name of this ‘store.’ It’s outrageous and illegal, and they shouldn’t be allowed to continue.
Even it’s really a Martin it is unacceptable, and illegal business practice to be deceitful and refuse to accept return.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Gotta remember with all due respect there's only one side of the story here and no one other than the OP has seen the guitar. I don't think naming anyone is warranted.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 10-01-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Brand New 000-28 Total Disappointment

You have a point. But if the guitar was unacceptable then the seller should allow a return. Refusing to do so is not a matter of opinion.
Sorry, I just had a rare bad experience with a seller; I’m kinda sour on people who won’t stand behind a sale when the customer is dissatisfied. It seems like basic human respect and good business, but I may be old-fashioned.

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 10-01-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichAlan View Post

I can sympathize with your problems, yet I think all are correctable. I don't get the comment that the nut "won't be factory perfect"; it obviously wasn't good from the factory! And it's definitely not rocket science to fashion a new one.

I love Martin guitars, but would not have sent this guitar there for service in this instance. You'll be waiting quite a while for its return, and other qualified technicians could have made a new nut fairly quickly. But maybe Martin will return to you a guitar you adore!
Keeping my fingers crossed I'm wrong and you get it back soon and perfect!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 10-01-2021, 06:31 PM

If you haven't already sent it out to Martin...........send it back to seller, if they won't issue you a r/a send it to them without one then call your bank and have the charge card reversed. There's no way I would spend that kind of money and because the freaking dealer TWICE didn't do their job you have to wait MONTHS to get it back. Plenty of great dealers will treat you with respect that you deserve.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

To everyone making suggestions to the OP for action, remember that relative satisfaction does not equate to a moral standard. Only one side is known, and while I defer to the truth of just about all OPs, there are just too many variables, policies, and other facts before suggesting fraud, third party involvement (reverb, banks, credit companies, etc), or defects as proper conclusions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion