The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 03:41 AM

I’ve always been curious about “water beads”, good info here thanks. When it dips below 37% in the house all the instruments live in there cases. Each has a sound hole humidifier and something in the headstock compartment, sponge in a baggie with holes or a Herco clay puck.

I have an April Aire whole home humidifier attached to the air duct. But when it gets really cold you have to turn it down to prevent condensation forming on the windows. Kinda defeats the purpose but that’s physics and you can’t fight it.

As a side note I recently purchased a Journey Instruments OF660 which is carbon fiber with the removal neck. I am now leaving that one on a stand with no worries, even though it’s -25 outside and 30% humidity in the house.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Anything that absorbs water and then keeps it for a relatively long period of time isn't doing much for your guitar.

Would the "ideal" humidifier be something you fill once and it's good for the rest of winter?
I just checked for you. The hygrometer on the table in my guitar room is at 29%. The one in the guitar case that I opened was at 54%. I first put the beads in at the end of November and I changed them for the first time a few days ago.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:07 AM

I have no doubt they work, given the humidity reading above ^^^^^. Just curious if theres a specific brand you all can recommend. I am trying also with a solid top, lam sides. May not even be necessary to humidify, though I find it stays in tune better and action remains more consistent.
Nice feature of carbon to not worry about this stuff.

*Also, side note. I live in NYC and apartment heat is beyond my control and just rips all winter. Humidity is often in 20s. As good as living in the desert. When I had control, my humidipaks lasted months and I recharge them. Now, it's a matter of a few weeks and theyre getting back to crunchy state.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

“Just curious if theres a specific brand you all can recommend.”

I second this question on specific brand by skouri1.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I don't think there is any specific brand. They're cheap like something you'd get from the dollar store. I just ordered them from Amazon, twice.

The second time it was like 10,000 of them for $2.99 or something like that.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:56 AM

do you have a link? I was going to buy some but as always, amazon is overwhelming. not sure if it matters or not.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
do you have a link? I was going to buy some but as always, amazon is overwhelming. not sure if it matters or not.
I can't help you with that. I bought them a few years ago. I bought two orders because I was at the other house and needed them. I have two lifetime supplies. The only difference is the color and size.

Just close your eyes and click on one!
Old 01-28-2022, 03:25 PM

To those that thought because they last longer, they must be giving inadequate amounts of water - - -

There's a flaw in your premise - it all depends upon how much water is absorbed by the beads. I did one experiment a while back comparing several other humidifiers that I had and the beads absorbed FAR more water than the others did. Which is why they last longer, they have more water to give up. Not that they are giving it up slower.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 01-28-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:23 PM

I use the pictured units to supplement my Oasis Soundhole humidifiers only if I think necessary. The larger bead units (have several more made) I put near the heads in the cases and the smaller I slip between the strings and hang in the sound hole. I drilled the tops, use window screening material to allow the air to pass to and from the beads and keep the beads in the clear plastic container when dried up. The black grooved grommet in the smaller keeps the unit hanging between the strings. They do work well.

My new Govee hygrometer units I posted about recently, keep me up to date on case humidity with notifications to my phone.
I also use some older non bluetooth units in my other guitars that I check periodically.
May pick up some more Govees as I like em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D584A8DB-68A5-4683-81D0-33B48C21FBA9_1_201_a.jpg (36.5 KB, 23 views)
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
water beads