The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 07:02 PM

Default Thinking About Buying More Guitar Than I Need

I'm going to ask what may be a really dumb question. It barely even qualifies as a question, but more like a conversation prompt. Here goes.

If you find a guitar and truly love it, but the type of guitar is intended for something other than what you historically like to do, should you keep searching until you find the Cinderella guitar, or just buy the dadblasted thing and let your love for what it is shape your playing?

(It's a Collings 002H.)
Old 01-28-2022, 07:12 PM

If you've come here to be talked out of buying a guitar you've been misled.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 01-28-2022, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
If you've come here to be talked out of buying a guitar you've been misled.
Talk about ?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-28-2022, 07:14 PM

The shop is already closed for the day, thank goodness.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbar View Post
The shop is already closed for the day, thank goodness.
It is already too late for you. You already went in and saw the guitar, so now you won't forget about it. The shop will likely be open tomorrow and the day after, and the day after...and you will be back.

The real question we can all ask ourselves is why we go looking if we already like what we have? We know what the result will be and coming here for advice simply strengthens our resolve to buy what we found.

Tony
Old 01-28-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

As a counterpoint to the enablers here , I’d say that even if I really loved a certain 00 in a store, I probably would not buy it because I am a dread guy and know it would never stay long term. Of course, it took me over 8 years and countless OMs to figure that out, but I’m finally done with small guitars.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-29-2022, 03:13 AM

If you love it then it IS something you want to do, you just need to dedicate your time adapting to something new.

It takes time and effort, only you can decide if you’re up for it.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Every guitar I own is technically way 'more guitar than I need'. I could get by with something, anything, that is way less expensive. Any time I have wavered on whether or not to purchase something and then it 'got away', I've regretted it. If you can afford it and will play it, buy it. Especially if it's used and a good price because then you can always sell it down the road.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:43 AM

Perfectly said. Agree 100%
Old 01-29-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm going to ask what may be a really dumb question. It barely even qualifies as a question, but more like a conversation prompt. Here goes.

If you find a guitar and truly love it, but the type of guitar is intended for something other than what you historically like to do, should you keep searching until you find the Cinderella guitar, or just buy the dadblasted thing and let your love for what it is shape your playing?

(It's a Collings 002H.)
What is it that you like to do, and what do you think the Collings is intended for.

Have you tried the Collings? What did you think of it?
Old 01-29-2022, 07:08 AM

antbar, Welcome to the AGF!

I think that more guitar than what I need comes down to whether you think you'll enjoy playing more, which means you may be likely to play more often. Assuming you have disposable income, purchase what makes you happy.

Used guitars are a great option as you can usually sell it for what you paid for it. The Collins 002H is probably a sweet guitar.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
First, I don't understand "more guitar than I need." Everyone needs the best possible guitar they can afford, or afford with a little temporary belt tightening. Music has no tone/quality/beauty/etc. limits it imposes on us - we invent that madness.

Second, in this day of pretty darn good pick-up/amplification I'm not sure how a guitar gets assigned to a kind of music.

I generally have two questions before I purchase an instrument: 1. Do I find the tone wonderful, and 2. Is playing it a satisfying experience or do I feel like I'm fighting to get the music out the way I want?
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-29-2022, 07:22 AM

I'm not sure what a Collings 002H couldn't do well. Granted there are some lovely guitars that I admire but know they wouldn't suit me and if that's the case I get it. But it sounds like the OP was smitten by this guitar for some reason and I'd be curious what the hesitancy is. If you like it, it's in the budget, and you will play and enjoy it, they buy it.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
As a counterpoint to the enablers here , I’d say that even if I really loved a certain 00 in a store, I probably would not buy it because I am a dread guy and know it would never stay long term. Of course, it took me over 8 years and countless OMs to figure that out, but I’m finally done with small guitars.
You are a quicker study than am I. Took me 20 years and dozens of OMs to learn the same. 😉
Old 01-29-2022, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Like you, I have "bigger" guitars including 000's from Larrivee, Huss and Dalton and Froggy Bottom. And an SJ that Dale Fairbanks made. And I love them all. But the one I reach for everyday is a 00 made by David Webber out of Vancourver (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=630791). Before I got it a few months ago, I had never owned or even played a 00. And I thought that an inch here, a millimeter there could not make much of a difference. Wrong. It feels perfect in my hands. It plays like butter and and sounds like honey. I have never commissioned a guitar. If I did, it would be a 00. I have come to believe that you listen to your ear and your body, not to your expectations or assumptions about what it, or you, can or cannot do. Or the price tag. The "value" of the Webber is about 30% of the Froggy Bottom.
If it feels good, and sounds good and you can swing it, buy it.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 01-29-2022 at 09:13 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion