The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I suspect the video you saw was this one from the Winter 2019 NAMM Show. The guitar Kevin picks up to demonstrate the shape of the back belongs to me. I bought it at the show. African Blackwood and Cedar, it is absolutely superb.

https://youtu.be/76ljEL1RdQk

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-26-2022, 03:58 PM

Incredible instrument! Congratulations!
Old 01-26-2022, 04:27 PM

Congratulations of the new Ryan! May you have many years of enjoyment! It is a stunning guitar in every respect.

I received my Nightingale this past July, after ordering it direct from Kevin last March/April. It excels in every respect. I chose EIR with Lutz Spruce. This guitar is loud, very full-bodied across the sound spectrum. Even the lightest touch produces a lot of tone! I had him add the blue paua inlay, an upgraded blue paua sound hole inlay, as well as a blue paua center strip down the back. Simply beautiful!

Enjoy!

Rick
Old 01-27-2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
I suspect the video you saw was this one from the Winter 2019 NAMM Show. The guitar Kevin picks up to demonstrate the shape of the back belongs to me. I bought it at the show. African Blackwood and Cedar, it is absolutely superb.

https://youtu.be/76ljEL1RdQk
My Nightingale is also in the background of that video.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-27-2022, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I was fortunate in being able to recently acquire a Ryan Cathedral. With Malaysian Blackwood and Adirondack.

This instrument is aptly named. Cavernous tone. Celestial reverb. Inspires awe and amazement.

Kevin is a miracle man.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 01-27-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
I was fortunate in being able to recently acquire a Ryan Cathedral. With Malaysian Blackwood and Adirondack.

This instrument is aptly named. Cavernous tone. Celestial reverb. Inspires awe and amazement.

Kevin is a miracle man.
Sounds very nice! I can imagine the cathedral offering those cavernous lows. The deep bodied design of Kevin’s guitars definitely offers those signature lows. The cathedral bout size is similar to my jumbo Taylor 855, which is loud and full-bodied for a12-string. I like a bigger guitar. The Nightingale offers a well-rounded sound.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:35 PM

thank you all for the kind comments - i am enjoying playing this ryan.
it's very different from my other current guitars and i do hope to keep it for
a while before it eventually goes to a new home. (they all seem to do that over time)

requires a little different touch and style to bring out the max that it has to offer.
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 01-28-2022, 10:23 PM

One of the better guitars I have played was a Ryan cathedral in cedar and cocobolo that dated back before the changed Ryan made in around 2010 when he introduced such things as the honeycomb bridge plate and the acoustic flutes etc. That guitar had surround sound reverb of the type that I have ot heard before or since in any ither guitar. Yet ut still had sparkle from what I can recall.

The nightingale of the post 2010 vintage was an entirely different guitar though in tonality. I owned a cedar and eirw one a few years ago and played a couple of others also. It had tone such that I have never heard before or since - super dark and heavy to the point of being brooding. The fundamental was almost indistinguishable from rhe overtones. If the cathedral was a balanced cup of gourmet coffee the nightingale was the thickest dark chocolate you hve ever drunk. To me, it was perfect for dark pieces and strangely for strumming but less so for Travis picking for example.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
One of the better guitars I have played was a Ryan cathedral in cedar and cocobolo that dated back before the changed Ryan made in around 2010 when he introduced such things as the honeycomb bridge plate and the acoustic flutes etc. That guitar had surround sound reverb of the type that I have ot heard before or since in any ither guitar. Yet ut still had sparkle from what I can recall.

The nightingale of the post 2010 vintage was an entirely different guitar though in tonality. I owned a cedar and eirw one a few years ago and played a couple of others also. It had tone such that I have never heard before or since - super dark and heavy to the point of being brooding. The fundamental was almost indistinguishable from rhe overtones. If the cathedral was a balanced cup of gourmet coffee the nightingale was the thickest dark chocolate you hve ever drunk. To me, it was perfect for dark pieces and strangely for strumming but less so for Travis picking for example.
My Cedar/African Blackwood Nightingale is definitely not dark. Sounds great fingerpicked and strummed. I thought when I got it (NAMM 2019) that I would use it for alternative tunings. I’ve found that, to my ears, it sounds superb whatever I’m playing.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-29-2022, 06:21 PM

I bought the Cathedral prototype from Kevin. I had it for about 10 years and sold it. Sorry I did. It was large but surprisingly light. Big bass but also pretty balanced. I received it in the winter when we lived in MN and did not know about letting it adapt for 24 hours, opened it right up, no ill effects.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion