The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

They sound very interesting indeed although, if I bought one, those 'liquid metal' bridge pins would be gone and a set of AA pins would be in.

Unfortunately, the new CFM policy re international sales, which will force me to pay the hugely inflated prices charged by UK dealers rather than purchase direct from a US dealer, means that the chance of me getting one of these is virtually zero.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
These changes sound like good things to me. But the first thing I would want is these improvements on an HD-28, but that is not available.
Glenn, you may be in luck — it looks like the Modern Classic D-28 has the herringbone trim and the forward-shifted, scalloped bracing.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 AM

Ahhh... it's wonderful when you listen to the first notes played on the video and feel the goosebumps develop. Doesn't happen often.

I wish Martin häd picked a different name for that series. Modern Deluxe sounds rather cheap and unimaginative to my ears. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Glenn, you may be in luck — it looks like the Modern Classic D-28 has the herringbone trim and the forward-shifted, scalloped bracing.
Yeah, I thought that was funny, too, especially given how the CEO and other Martin reps appeared on video after video last year to talk about streamlining model names to match bracing patterns. Guess that didn't last long. Haha
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Thanks! I didn't realize that the Deluxe version of the D-28 now has forward shifted, scalloped bracing! I stand corrected! Good for Martin! I must now take back my comments about glacial progress at Martin!

The truth is, I really don't want to buy anything since I just bought a 2018 Martin D-45 that I am very happy with. I have my forward shifted, scalloped bracing along with some significant bling. I just want to see Martin do well in the marketplace. It does look like they are doing the right things after all!

- Glenn
Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Yeah, I thought that was funny, too, especially given how the CEO and other Martin reps appeared on video after video last year to talk about streamlining model names to match bracing patterns. Guess that didn't last long. Haha
Yeah, I really liked how they’d simplified the structure as of last year, and my gut reaction when seeing the new series was that it reintroduces complexity into the lineup as it relates to the iconic models. But I get that they want something at that price point, and that they want to carve out some room to bring some new things to the table while retaining folks’ affinity for the classics.

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't realize that the Deluxe version of the D-28 now has forward shifted, scalloped bracing! I stand corrected! Good for Martin! I must now take back my comments about glacial progress at Martin!

The truth is, I really don't want to buy anything since I just bought a 2018 Martin D-45 that I am very happy with. I have my forward shifted, scalloped bracing along with some significant bling. I just want to see Martin do well in the marketplace. It does look like they are doing the right things after all!

- Glenn
That’s right, I remember now that you’ve got that D-45! I’ll bet that’s a winner.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:03 PM

specs look fine. to me.

Already have a price from my local dealer.
Just waiting for him to receive a few samples to try out before I pull the trigger.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
These changes sound like good things to me. But the first thing I would want is these improvements on an HD-28, but that is not available. It's a shame if Martin is going to upgrade their guitars that they have picked only four models to apply the improvements to. I don't quite fathom why they aren't making these changes across the entire standard line of guitars, including the H versions of the guitars.
- Glenn
Heads up! What they're calling the Deluxe "D-28" is actually the HD-28 (i.e. forward scalloped bracing and herringbone top)!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion