The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Congrats nice collection of Sands, must be great to hear the differences between models from the same Builder!

Bryan-
Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Sound check...

Here's a quick sound check of the three guitars (excuse the playing) recorded on my iPhone 7 (on a tripod) with an iMic on a boom in front of the guitar. I will do some "proper" recordings of them over the next few weeks where I spend a little more time getting the acoustics right...and practice first! :-)

https://youtu.be/w-jzk44aV1A

The piece is an excerpt from Martin Simpson's "Mother Love"

The tuning for this piece is CGDGCD.

The strings are D'Addario EJ16's (light gauge phosphor-bronze) on the MMD and the OM, and D'Addario EJ26 (custom light phosphor-bronze) on the 00.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

And so can you now Bryan!

Thanks...I am loving them.

I'm off to see Martin Simpson for a lesson tomorrow...question is, which one should I take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcafan View Post
Congrats nice collection of Sands, must be great to hear the differences between models from the same Builder!

Bryan-
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
And so can you now Bryan!

Thanks...I am loving them.

I'm off to see Martin Simpson for a lesson tomorrow...question is, which one should I take!
Take all three

Just make sure you get some lesson, and don't just spend your time drooling over guitars...

The new MMD looks and sounds fabulous - can't wait to meet it in person!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM

All 3 sound excellent, and your playing is very pleasant on the ears Adam. You've done very well to gather these world class instruments together so lovingly and enjoy them so much. It would be fun to compare them in person! Hopefully at Ian's in July... Dennis
Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Wonderful sounding guitars! Nice playing too! Personally, I don't think the Nitro has affected the MMD negatively in any way. Tone is tremendous.

You are a lucky guy!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Seriously, this is impressive.
I say that because I've played both the OM and the 00 and know them to be very fine sounding guitars indeed, some of the best I've played anywhere.

To my ears, the MMD is the standout as it has the most appealing balance to my ears. From what I can tell, it retains some of that MD lower end growl while being a fair bit smaller. As you know, I had a Kostal MD the sound of which I loved but it was a big guitar.

Always very difficult over YouTube but given how good I know the OM and 00 are, you have a killer guitar in your hands.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-18-2017, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Adam,

You mentioned in an earlier video that you thought your OM was the finest guitar you've played. After playing that magnificent MD, what say you now?
Old 05-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Tough one...

Oh...that's a tough one.

The OM was the first guitar I commissioned, it was Tom's first commission, it has had 9 months of being played pretty much every day...it truly is a remarkable instrument.

The new MMD is better made, more solid, feels more durable, is prettier (both woods and design) but hasn't yet been played-in.

So it's hard to compare them fairly. As it currently stands the merits of the guitars are as follows:

00 - it plays itself, incredibly responsive, great balance & sustain, very "sweet" sound, big sound for a small body

MMD - perfect to look at, simply breathtaking. Lovely mellow big voice (already), great volume. AMAZING sustain.

OM - quite bright, like a Sobell...but much better. Incredible separation, sustain, articulation, response, volume.

I guess the OM is probably a better guitar for the moment but, and this is a big but, both the OM and the 00 are very lightly built. The front of the 00 is so thin you can see the bracing pattern. The back of the OM feels like the skin on a drum. Both need to be handled with care. No Michael Hedges. No Nic Jones. 😂

The MMD feels like it will need a little playing in but could be your only guitar. Tuning up and down...easy (it doesn't move at all), robust - yes, protective finish - yes, good and solid -yes, beautiful- yes, sound already brilliant and much more to come.

Over the weekend I will try and record some more like bits on each of the three. Different tunings. Some more sustain. Some more quick bits. So you can get more of an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Adam,

You mentioned in an earlier video that you thought your OM was the finest guitar you've played. After playing that magnificent MD, what say you now?
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 05-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Wonderful sounding guitars! Nice playing too! Personally, I don't think the Nitro has affected the MMD negatively in any way. Tone is tremendous.

You are a lucky guy!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisczech View Post
All 3 sound excellent, and your playing is very pleasant on the ears Adam. You've done very well to gather these world class instruments together so lovingly and enjoy them so much. It would be fun to compare them in person! Hopefully at Ian's in July... Dennis
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 05-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Default Sound comparison

Here's another comparison of the three guitars in DADGAD

https://youtu.be/tX0ZCruq5kc
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Comparisons

A couple more...

https://youtu.be/_J4rw8EAkmo

https://youtu.be/EYOr0auVikc
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Probably...

...worth having another look at this!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop