The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-21-2020, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default work stations

If you have a workstation that has a platform for a musical keyboard and a typing keyboard on a sliding shelf beneath the platform for the musical keyboard, do you find it comfortable and useable? I imagine you'd need to push in the typing keyboard so it's out of the way when you're playing the musical keyboard. Seems like I'd need the typing keyboard to give commands such as record, delete, etc.

I have a weird setup right now where the shelf for the typing keyboard is above the musical keyboard. I have it pulled out enough that I can use the typing keyboard and the track pad, and still see the controls on the musical keyboard.Ergnomically when I need to use the typing keyboard for real typing, it's not the best.

Thanks for your thoughts and for reading through this.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I don't think any of those work stations that have room for a midi keyboard and a computer keyboard work well. Usually the midi keyboard winds up too high and the computer keyboard too low. I think the best solution is to put the midi keyboard on a stand apart from the desk with a separate monitor (mirrored, of course).
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-21-2020, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Well yes and no, I purpose built my workstation desk (now revamped) and I do use a sliding shelf for the text keyboard and mouse . And it is very comfortable and ergonomic for me. However I have two hardware gear pieces that sit in a custom rack above the sliding shelf . Then I use a rolling/swivel office chair and have my music keyboard (midi keyboard) on it's own dedicated stand, and perpendicular to my desk, so both it and my text keyboard are at optimal height as per this photo below . But I think what you are talking could make your situation somewhat better if it got the two keyboards closer together height wise

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-21-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:23 AM

I have exactly what you're describing and as was mentioned, either the MIDI keyboard ends up too high or the typing keyboard too low.

I got around that by having a chair that adjusts up and down.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well yes and no, I purpose built my workstation desk (now revamped) and I do use a sliding shelf for the text keyboard and mouse . And it is very comfortable and ergonomic for me. However I have two hardware gear pieces that sit in a custom rack above the sliding shelf . Then I use a rolling/swivel office chair and have my music keyboard (midi keyboard) on it's own dedicated stand, and perpendicular to my desk, so both it and my text keyboard are at optimal height as per this photo below . But I think what you are talking could make your situation somewhat better if it got the two keyboards closer together height wise

What a beautiful work space you have KevWind. So important to have organization, quick access & set up, as well as artistic surroundings.
You most definitely have all of that.
I am working on it...but it is a long, long road.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
What a beautiful work space you have KevWind. So important to have organization, quick access & set up, as well as artistic surroundings.
You most definitely have all of that.
I am working on it...but it is a long, long road.
Thanks I have been at it since 2003 so going on 17 years ,,, and as a retired carpenter I can DYI it as well, which helps.
Actually the desk in that photo is the second version as the original desk became cracked in the a move two years ago and then finally broke apart a month ago when I tried to move it when I pulled the carpet and put in Bamboo flooring

Here is original version and the right hand side of the red melamine, at the angle and edge of the black melamine rack, is where it broke and you can see the ugly grey carpet
Note the speakers are placed on those red wings on some ISO stands

This is new version which is really just a set of Fir 2x4 legs for the original black melamine Rack and sliding shelf, you can see the new flooring, and also that the speakers have been moved on to some Sound Anchor stands

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-21-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Very Helpful thread to see this pictures of workstations with keyboards and interfaces and amps.
I will be purchasing a keyboard in a few months and this has been heavy on my mind. The big problem for myself...is my living room is my recording studio...as well as my computer usage as well as .....a Living room...ha ha..
I just ordered about 4 days ago from Sweetwater a pack of Quick releases.
I plan to not only put them on my microphones, but on my boom arms. This will help unclutter my Living room. I can quickly disconnect the boom arm from the microphone stand and place the boom arm in the corner.
I had already deemed it necessary for quick release for Mics to Boom arm. If I can not convert quickly from living room to recording space...I just won't use it.
These are the Newer Version of the Triad-Orbit. Steel male counterpart with additional carved out area in the stem for extra holding power. The previous ones where straight brass.
There is a whole line of things these things can be used for, including quick release of Music paper, tablet, small table at the side of a keyboard as well.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:06 PM

I use a cheap small form factor keyboard with trackpad in my studio space. it's on a sliding drawer so I can move it out of the way. It may just be me, but I don't use the keyboard much while recording. I have templates that already label tracks that i use often in sessions, so the keyboard/trackpad is there to give file names to sessions and to sometime set looping points to punch in or overdub a section.

Even with the keyboard drawer tucked away, I can cheat, and reach in and hit the space bar to start or stop the transport.

If I was better or more dedicated to engineering (rather than a man o'many hats) I keep better session notes where'd I'd really be "typing", but basically I care little for the the comfort or ergonomics of the studio space computer keyboard. I may be setting a bad example in this regard, but this is one user's report. I know if I was a real keyboard instrument player, I'd care much much more about the musical keyboard being placed right in the studio.

When my long-time keyboard player friend was able to play in the studio space he used keyboards on stage stands away from the recording computer altogether.

In my small home office "Studio B" where I do most of my mixing, fine editing, and so forth, I do care about the computer keyboard. I use combination monitor riser and keyboard drawer that sits on top my desk surface, and when pulled out the computer keyboard drawer slides both out and down. This keeps the monitor at eye level and the keyboard at the proper comfort level. When I want to record an overdub of a guitar part in "Studio B", the keyboard drawer once more can slide out of the way. It's this 3M one:

3M monitor stand, keyboard tray

I type a great deal in my home office. thousands of words every week on top of the recording work. There I care about the computer keyboard quite a bit.

As to operating a keyboard and a DAW, I use a MIDI controller from the Nektar Impact line. The key action is good enough for the (hack!) likes of me and there are full DAW transport controls on the keyboard.

Nektar Impact keyboard controllers at Sweetwater

How do I use a MIDI controller keyboard in the tight confines of my home office? I put in my lap, and it stays tucked in a corner on it end when not in use. Again, I'm not recommending that for real keyboardist players, but it works for me in my tight space. Anybody who gives me grief about that and I'm breaking out a keytar!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-21-2020 at 10:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD