The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-10-2020, 07:39 AM

Default App to use on my laptop to record rhythm acoustic?

Any suggestions for a free app I can put on my lap top to record my acoustic guitar to practice harmonica to, evaluate my playing, etc? And no I don't have an I phone. I'm probably the last person on earth that does not have any kind of cell phone. . I did get a hand me down I phone once, and drowned the darn thing on vacation getting out of my kayak.

I see a free app known as garage band.

Any I should stay away from?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:44 AM

I have had great results with Audacity.

https://www.audacityteam.org/
Old 11-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Any suggestions for a free app I can put on my lap top to record my acoustic guitar to practice harmonica to, evaluate my playing, etc? And no I don't have an I phone. I'm probably the last person on earth that does not have any kind of cell phone. . I did get a hand me down I phone once, and drowned the darn thing on vacation getting out of my kayak.

If you're on a Mac ? GB and a USB mic, will certainly get you started

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-11-2020, 12:43 PM

You won't get good guitar sound recording using the built-in mic on a laptop. hence Kev's suggestion of a USB mic. Of course, you won't get very good playback sound out of a laptop speaker either.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-14-2020, 05:08 PM

I'm looking for a laptop too. MacBook Pro is 3 grand. Wondering if I could get a cheaper one, say for 1800, and install Garage Band ? Or is Audacity just as good...the free version or the pay version? No cellphone or Ipad here either.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:32 PM

Either GB or Audacity would work fine (and both are completely free AFAIK). However, those programs just do the final step of capturing the audio on your computer. To get decent recordings, you still need a decent microphone and a way to get the digital audio into the computer.

A USB mic does both of those functions at once. Something like the Shure MV88 for iOS, or a Blue Yeti, would be good choices.

As for computers, you don't need anything superpowered for simple audio recording. Pretty much any laptop you can buy these days will be able to cover the basics. I do my tracking on a sub-$300 Lenovo with a 11.6" screen, although I edit later on a more powerful Windows computer.

And then as MikeB says, you need something to hear it back on! Get some decent computer speakers or headphones to plug in.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I'm looking for a laptop too. MacBook Pro is 3 grand. Wondering if I could get a cheaper one, say for 1800, and install Garage Band ? Or is Audacity just as good...the free version or the pay version? No cellphone or Ipad here either.
You can get a refurbished Macbook Pro 13" for about that price. And they all come with Garage band already installed.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-16-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post

Hi Cecil

Audacity works great and has everything you need to do great records and edits of track - for FREE.

It's well laid out and and kept current. It is open source, and has been kept up for well over a decade and a half.

For a simple well laid out sound editor, Amadeus Pro (for Mac) is excellent. But unless you are needing quick-n-dirty editing functions, Audacity does the job.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-16-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi pf400

I should have read 'deeper'.

If you already have a PC, you would need a USB interface for a mic, and the mic, which can be had for as little as $250 (a decent package of a condenser mic and interface).

For about the same money, as someone new to digital recording and editing, a Zoom H4n recorder would do you quite well and it would grow with you. For even less money, the Zoom H1n would get you up and running for $120 as a starter recorder. Mount it on a tripod or mic stand, set it 18" from the guitar (or aim it between the mouth and guitar if you sing too).

The Zoom recorders I listed have decent mics built-in, and record cleanly. You would learn about the room/environment you record in being as critical as the recorder, mic etc. without sinking hundreds/thousands of dollars into it to see if you enjoy it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-16-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

If you're not concerned with quality you can always just record yourself on Facebook Live or YouTube and play back that way. Just set the security to 'Only Me' and no one will see it. If you're looking to just jam along to pre-recorded tracks there's a ton on YouTube for free. That's how I practice soloing.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:35 AM

Thanks everyone...but I'm used to my old Windows Vista PC with its 17 inch screen. It's about done. Even with black friday, the MacBook Pro is not on sale.
I'd like to go high end, hoping for a long-lasting computer, and getting going with recording and sharing my music. I have a Zoom H1 sitting in its box and it's not userfriendly...I'm not good with tech. I thought that having a Mac with GB would be simple, but now thinking I might be wasting money going high-end. I don't play games online for example. I do want Skype, Zoom, and recording software.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:27 AM

Pushing my luck a bit...anyone have comments about this laptop? No media card capability...what the hesk does that mean? And USB 3.0...will there be a problem using the USB cables I've had around for years ?

https://www.staples.ca/products/2981...indows-10-home
Old 12-01-2020, 07:03 AM

Default Keeping it simple.

The latest Zoom H2n is an amazing bit of kit. this is a simple song recorded on one, playing and singing directly in front with XY mic setting. Worth a try.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pushing my luck a bit...anyone have comments about this laptop? No media card capability...what the hesk does that mean? And USB 3.0...will there be a problem using the USB cables I've had around for years ?

https://www.staples.ca/products/2981...indows-10-home
At that price range, you might want to check sweetwater. They have some basic DAW computer packages, that get decent reviews. Since theyre tailored for recording, you may get more of what you need and less of what you dont for your money.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm looking for a laptop too. MacBook Pro is 3 grand.
My iMac was considerably cheaper than that! And it runs Cubase just fine, so it'll do anything you want it to. Comes with garageband.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD