The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-22-2020, 03:23 AM

OK, wait a sec here. You are going to have to explain the last three shots.

Are you telling me you took a single shot of the moon with the Trifid in the background like that. Really? Details please.

The shot of the Pleiades and the California Nebula is great, but...what are the technical details.

The last one...what the bleep IS that?????? And again, technical details please.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
OK, wait a sec here. You are going to have to explain the last three shots.

Are you telling me you took a single shot of the moon with the Trifid in the background like that. Really? Details please.

The shot of the Pleiades and the California Nebula is great, but...what are the technical details.

The last one...what the bleep IS that?????? And again, technical details please.

You know what you are doing. Sorry, it was a little astronomy practical joke. I took them using SpaceEngine. But, it's they still come out cool:

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-22-2020, 02:05 PM

I thought it was a Borg cube coming out of warp speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post

You know what you are doing. Sorry, it was a little astronomy practical joke. I took them using SpaceEngine. But, it's they still come out cool:

Old 11-27-2020, 05:58 AM

Ah...I see.

I went back and checked, and you wrote "I made these". NOT "I took these">. A careful, semantically tasty choice of words. It immediately jumped out at me that these are technically impossible. The moon/trifid shot could never happen as the brightness of the moon would make the Trifid invisible, even to the eye.

But speaking of close moon/object events, last year I watched as the moon rose crossing The Beehive cluster. It ranks as one of the top ten observations I have witnessed in 60 years. You could see the rotation of the earth as the horizon (with trees) separated from the moon AND the disappearance and reappearance of the stars in the cluster caused by the motion of the moon itself. It was an amazing demonstration of the fact of astronomical movement. I ended up shouting with amazement and delight. Watching stars go POP! and come into view in real time, suddenly appearing from the earthshine on the moon. Wow.

Here are two shots I took of the Moon and Venus quite close.

If you look closely, and even better if you can zoom in, you can see that Venus is also in phase; that is, it is not a disk but has dark portion, just like the moon. This was taken in the day, about 2:00 in the afternoon.

The second shot is an evening shot.

The first was taken with a 6" Maksutov (similar to your Celestron). The second was with a 300mm f 2.8.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-27-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Ah...I see.

I went back and checked, and you wrote "I made these". NOT "I took these">. A careful, semantically tasty choice of words. It immediately jumped out at me that these are technically impossible. The moon/trifid shot could never happen as the brightness of the moon would make the Trifid invisible, even to the eye.

But speaking of close moon/object events, last year I watched as the moon rose crossing The Beehive cluster. It ranks as one of the top ten observations I have witnessed in 60 years. You could see the rotation of the earth as the horizon (with trees) separated from the moon AND the disappearance and reappearance of the stars in the cluster caused by the motion of the moon itself. It was an amazing demonstration of the fact of astronomical movement. I ended up shouting with amazement and delight. Watching stars go POP! and come into view in real time, suddenly appearing from the earthshine on the moon. Wow.

If you look closely, and even better if you can zoom in, you can see that Venus is also in phase; that is, it is not a disk but has dark portion, just like the moon. This was taken in the day, about 2:00 in the afternoon.

The first was taken with a 6" Maksutov (similar to your Celestron). The second was with a 300mm f 2.8.
Awesome pics. I'm looking forward to Saturn and Jupiter on Dec. 21. Hopefully it's not cloudy.

I took this the other night with just a camera on a tripod.

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 11-27-2020, 05:31 PM

Fantastic! You and Rob have me itching to get something.

Quote:
Ah...I see.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:32 PM

A Beaver moon / lunar eclipse early Monday morning. Any pics coming our way?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic