The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-21-2022, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

I have also ordered some silk & steel in addition to the GHS strings. Not the Plectums, but Martin's S&S. Based on what others have posted, I'm not sure S&S will have enough bass for those bass runs. I'll look into the Plectums to see what gauge they provide for low E, A and D. I'm also going to try GHS' Silk and Bronze. They are supppose to provide sufficient bass, be only a bit less mellow than S&S, and longer lasting. I'm retired now so I have the time to try a number of different strings for entertainment. I probably should spend more time practicing, but it's all fun for me.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
I have also ordered some silk & steel in addition to the GHS strings. Not the Plectums, but Martin's S&S. Based on what others have posted, I'm not sure S&S will have enough bass for those bass runs. I'll look into the Plectums to see what gauge they provide for low E, A and D. I'm also going to try GHS' Silk and Bronze. They are supppose to provide sufficient bass, be only a bit less mellow than S&S, and longer lasting. I'm retired now so I have the time to try a number of different strings for entertainment. I probably should spend more time practicing, but it's all fun for me.
I found Martin's SS deaf and unpleasant to the touch, instead plectrums are quite another thing. they cost a lot, sure, but they are a pleasure under the fingers. Only on the X20 I didn't like them. In any case, the sets are:
AC110 10-41 extra light (G, D, A and E bass strings are flat wound)
AC111 11-50 light (only low E is round wound, G, D and A are flat wound)
AC122 12-59 medium light (only the G string is flat wound)
AC113 13-61 mediums (all round wounds)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber