The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-25-2024, 03:00 AM

Default Great book, DVD or online course on (electric) rock rhythm guitar?

Great book, DVD or online course on (electric) rock rhythm guitar?

Hey guys,

I play mainly acoustic guitar, I started playing classical- and fingerstyle pieces just for myself and then accompanied singers on unplugged gigs, weddings etc. Regarding this style of guitar playing I would consider myself an intermediate player.

I would love to play in a band some day soon - I turn 33 this year and I feel like this is a "now or never"-situation
Bands seem to be looking for guitarists playing the electric guitar. Most bands seem to play rock. I myself like to listen to classic rock of the 70's (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen...) as well as modern indie or alternative rock (The National, Portugal The Man, RHCP...).

I bought an electric guitar and quickly realised: this a different world of guitar playing.
I want to learn rhythm guitar first since everybody advises this.
I need a really good book, DVD or online course that explains the essential techniques of playing (electric) rock rhythm guitar.
I am a perfectionist and for me a 10-minutes-youtube-tutorial does not do it. I am looking for a book, dvd or online course that really goes into detail.

I am thankful for every piece of advice!

Matt
Old 01-27-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBlue View Post
Great book, DVD or online course on (electric) rock rhythm guitar?

Hey guys,

I play mainly acoustic guitar, I started playing classical- and fingerstyle pieces just for myself and then accompanied singers on unplugged gigs, weddings etc. Regarding this style of guitar playing I would consider myself an intermediate player.

I would love to play in a band some day soon - I turn 33 this year and I feel like this is a "now or never"-situation
Bands seem to be looking for guitarists playing the electric guitar. Most bands seem to play rock. I myself like to listen to classic rock of the 70's (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen...) as well as modern indie or alternative rock (The National, Portugal The Man, RHCP...).

I bought an electric guitar and quickly realised: this a different world of guitar playing.
I want to learn rhythm guitar first since everybody advises this.
I need a really good book, DVD or online course that explains the essential techniques of playing (electric) rock rhythm guitar.
I am a perfectionist and for me a 10-minutes-youtube-tutorial does not do it. I am looking for a book, dvd or online course that really goes into detail.

I am thankful for every piece of advice!

Matt
You're not too old. Andy Summers was 35 when he joined the Police.

You appear to be the ideal candidate for Tim Pierce's "Masterclass" (timpierce.com). I have been critical of this course because of its lack of organization, but its "rhythm guitar" section is right on target. You will learn more about the art of rhythm guitar than you thought there was to know, and you'll study styles across several decades.

Tim offers a 14-day free trial, so it's no-risk exploration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write