The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-19-2024, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Dream - Everly Brothers - vocals sheet music?

Hi, a quick call out.

I'm struggling to find the sheet music for the two vocal parts in Dream, the way the Everly Brothers sang it. I could work it out from the record but don't really have the time to hand write it out.

We have a choir concert on Valentine's Day and I'd like to play/sing this with one of the other choir members. They will need the sheet music.

I don't mind paying for the copy, but all the ones I have found so far (from the UK search engines) have not had both vocals as they were sung by the Brothers.

Many thanks

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 01-19-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:05 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Gee whiz, I’ve always loved that sappy, yet brilliantly melodic song!
Old 01-19-2024, 09:23 PM

If you ceaselessly bind the third to the melody note you will be close with those guys. They did it as well as it's ever been done, imo.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I thought for sure that there would be sheet music showing the harmony, but I can't find it in sheet music version, either.

The harmony line is actually not difficult. If you bought the sheet music you could simply write out the harmony line above the melody line yourself.

I did this song for my YouTube channel about 5 years ago. I played this in E but I notice that most of the sheet music is written for Eb. I think the Everly Brothers actually played this in E, however.

Here is my version, and you can hear my harmony pretty clearly...

Here are the Everly Brothers playing this in the key of E.

- Glenn
Old 01-19-2024, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

That's why they were such an influence to John and Paul.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! Glad it wasn't just me who had difficulty finding the music!

Glenn - I loved your cover!

I have now found a transcript within in this blog:

https://everlybrothersharmony.blogsp...y-harmony.html

Here are the .pdfs if anyone wants them:

https://briandemski.com/public/everl..._&_HARMONY.pdf

https://briandemski.com/public/everl...S_&_LYRICS.pdf

I can work from this. Maybe I'll have to drop it to Eb if I take the harmony line - I won't know until we rehearse together.

I'll do my guitar arrangement from a C chord shape base (capo 3 or 4 for Eb or E) and use open chords. I can't play barre chords because of the amputation of part of my index finger on my left hand - but I'm sure that I can build a nice arrangement in first position to support the voices, and the audience won't notice!!! We'll be singing in a hotel function room, about 70+ guests (seated) and no p.a. - that will work OK as I have done many solo spots in choir concerts at the same venue, just me and guitar with no p.a.

So now down to work!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 01-20-2024 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Oh, good for you, Robin! I'm glad you found some music to work with!

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2024, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

That standard "Everly Brothers harmony" is really the basic lynchpin of SO MUCH music that came out in the 60's and beyond! Like one reply stated, it's pretty much a Third added...

I suspect that, once you begin to work with it, the harmony will come very easily... I doubt that you will need any sheet music to get the effect!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-21-2024, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
That standard "Everly Brothers harmony" is really the basic lynchpin of SO MUCH music that came out in the 60's and beyond! Like one reply stated, it's pretty much a Third added...

I suspect that, once you begin to work with it, the harmony will come very easily... I doubt that you will need any sheet music to get the effect!
I would say that I agree with you. But.....

I kicked off on the tune today (no music in front of me) as we were setting up for a band practice and my duo partner jumped in. It is easy to find the harmony when I sing with him, even though we somehow managed to switch parts during the middle 8

However, the guy I'm going to sing it with at the concert will find it easier if we work from the music (because that's what we are used to in the choir) and I will also find it easier to explain and teach/learn. I can say things like "Watch out for the fourth harmony in bar 5" or "there's an A# accidental within the triplets in bar 7 of the middle 8" - and he will understand that.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Well, it's a week to go until we need to perform "Dream" at a concert. The key of D seems best for the pair of us. I've worked out a guitar arrangement for my 5th Avenue acoustic archtop and have the harmony and the words pretty much there.

We had a choir practice this evening and a small group of us went to the pub after. The landlady said that we come to the pub every week after choir practice but never sing her anything. So I got an F# and an A off my phone as the starting notes and my friend Gary and I stood in the pub and sang "Dream" acapella.

The landlady was dead happy

I need to do a bit more work on the guitar arrangement, but I think that we are going to be OK for the Valentine Day concert next week.

Old 02-09-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

What a fun project, Robin. And that's terrific that you guys could do a good a capella lead and harmony vocal off the cuff like that!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write