The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 11:16 PM

That looks like chemical damage, like maybe bug spray on a left hand. Not saying that's what happened here, just that it looks like that kind of damage. Shouldn't be too hard to sand and refinish though.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
this is the finish on the neck

thats not wear and tear or normal use - that chemically melted.
Both water based polyurethane and nitrocellulose finishes can react with alcohol. Now, how could strong alcohol based gel possibly get on a player's hands these days? Let me think about that one!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:27 AM

There are failures in all brands. Martin is a great company respected for its quality and yet they also have failures. Gibson and Taylor also have failures. Godin is no exception, they will also have failures. I trust Godin, all the guitars that I have owned from this company for 35 years have always been of impeccable quality, and I am sure the same is true of the majority of people who own guitars from this company.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:34 AM

Seagull’s “day in the barrel”.

A couple of days ago it was Martin’s turn. Stay tuned to see who’s up next.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-16-2021, 09:26 AM

Default You made me look....

I have to confess, when I read your post, I had to go downstairs and take a good look at my S6.

I bought one three months ago, right before they raised the price (again). Every time I had shopped for an acoustic over the last few years, I always played one, and liked it, but ended up with something else. Well, with the combination of the Biden Bucks and a moderately impressive accumulation of bonus bucks at Musician's Friend, I finally pulled the trigger.

While I don't doubt the veracity of your review, what you encountered doesn't describe my guitar at all. Sure, I changed out the bridge pins, but I never leave plastic bridge pins in any guitar I acquire. The Tusq saddle fits snugly, the Tusq nut is slotted properly. The tuners don't impress me, but they tune the guitar and leave it there, so I may change them out, or not. It isn't appreciably heavier than my other acoustics (Except for a Mitchell that feels like it's made out of cardboard). And the finish shows no deterioration with almost daily playing (only three months, I know). And, most importantly, I like the way it sounds.

I'm really not certain what lesson there is to be learned here, but had I read your review having no prior experience with the S6, I might never have bothered to even try one. That, in my humble opinion, would have been unfortunate.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

LOL.

Well, My wife has a Seagull Grand and not only has it been issue free since purchase 5-6 years ago - it is one of the best sounding parlor guitars I have ever picked up and played.

That neck certainly is gnarly though. I'd sand, stain and clear coat it.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-16-2021, 03:16 PM

Yep, no issues with my Seagull CH momentum 7 months in
Old 05-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

About seven months ago I bought a 2012 mini jumbo that sat unplayed in it’s Case for eight years. I love this thing. Great finish and playability and better than average tone. Out of all my guitars it is the best bang for the buck.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 05-17-2021, 01:30 AM

For a long time I could only afford cheap guitars. Being a lefty in the U.K. in the 80s my choice was even more limited. All the guitars I saw were very much the same at this price point , thick shiny gloss, narrow nut , dreadnought shape. Then one day I saw something different. A Seagull S6 folk. Id never heard of Seagull but the classical style body, light satin finish and wider nut, (even the pointed headstock) appealed. I was surprised by the price tag, it looked like a more expensive instrument, the light honey coloured grain reminded me of those hand built instruments I had only seen in magazines. (this was before they started to put that cheap looking stain on the back and sides). The smaller body and wider nut was very comfortable and I took it home.
It was never the loudest of guitars and scratched easily, but it was fun to play and in many ways I wish I still had it. There is more choice nowadays of course and perhaps Seagull have been left behind a bit, but Ill always remember the one I had fondly.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:35 AM

Another S6 fan here. Heavy, yes. It’s the telecaster of acoustics, the one you’d want in a bar fight. Other than that, once I set it up with a bone saddle and my preferred action, just a really good guitar. My 00-28 gets the lion’s share of the playtime, but I can’t bring myself to sell the S6.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:18 AM

Yesterday I cleaned and restrung my son's S6, an old cedar one from the nineties. It sounded so sweet I started searching for an S6 for myself. However, the demos I saw and heard online seem to show the model has undergone changes since then, and I probably won't pursue it unless I luck onto older one in person.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant View Post
Yesterday I cleaned and restrung my son's S6, an old cedar one from the nineties. It sounded so sweet I started searching for an S6 for myself. However, the demos I saw and heard online seem to show the model has undergone changes since then, and I probably won't pursue it unless I luck onto older one in person.
They still produce the S6 original with a cedar top, cherry b/s and maple neck. It comes in two neck widths 1.8" or 1.72".

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps my friend's S6 was an anomaly and a "lemon" per sa

I acknowledge that my experience is obviously unusual.

Thanks everyone for responding constructively with support and counter-points to show the very positive opinions of this guitar.

Your responses have opened up my mind and I believe that this one was just a bad luck dud.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-17-2021, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

We haven't seen a thread about Taylor's new bracing system lately. Should we start a betting pool on who's next?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion